F350 or F450 or F550

1000arms

I it probably isn't boxed behind cab because it's easier to fasten to a channel than it is a tube.
Frame flex (or lack of) is part of the suspension. C-channel flexes differently than a boxed frame. Ford's fully boxed pickup truck frames are a lot stiffer than the old ones, but boxing the frame aft of the cab on chassis cabs might have lead to a lot of broken frames. If a boxed frame is pushed too hard, it might break where c-channel might survive.

This may matter to you for your choice of a frame.

If Ford made a 2017+ F-550 pickup (with a fully boxed frame like the 2017+ 250/350/450 pickups) with a 19,500 pound GVWR and a wide track front axle, would this thread even exist? :)

180out

I’ve heard the chassis cabs aren’t de tuned, they just dyno test them vs chassis. No proof though.
all three manufactures detune their diesel C&C's. the 6.7 in the ford is set to 300hp and 660trq. dodge does the same. a good tune shop can turn it back it up if you need.

Alloy

all three manufactures detune their diesel C&C's. the 6.7 in the ford is set to 300hp and 660trq. dodge does the same. a good tune shop can turn it back it up if you need.

Numbers from my dealer this week show:
2021 F450 475hp & 1050lbft . . . .may change for 2022
2022 F550 330hp & 825lbft
Difference 145hp 225lbft

Alloy

Frame flex (or lack of) is part of the suspension. C-channel flexes differently than a boxed frame. Ford's fully boxed pickup truck frames are a lot stiffer than the old ones, but boxing the frame aft of the cab on chassis cabs might have lead to a lot of broken frames. If a boxed frame is pushed too hard, it might break where c-channel might survive.

This may matter to you for your choice of a frame.

If Ford made a 2017+ F-550 pickup (with a fully boxed frame like the 2017+ 250/350/450 pickups) with a 19,500 pound GVWR and a wide track front axle, would this thread even exist? :)

I agree the box frame will crack before a channel frame.

When I fab stuff lb for lb strength the tube is much lighter than channel. Weight might be why the PU are boxed.

SitesSD

Numbers from my dealer this week show:
2021 F450 475hp & 1050lbft . . . .may change for 2022
2022 F550 330hp & 825lbft
Difference 145hp 225lbft

Correct. My old 2013 was 300/660 and as I mentioned earlier it was a tank when it came to towing. A bit more power might have been nice, but I didn't have any problems. I'm excited to see how my 2022 will haul/tow with the extra 165lbft over my old 550, plus the 10 speed transmission.

Alloy

Correct. My old 2013 was 300/660 and as I mentioned earlier it was a tank when it came to towing. A bit more power might have been nice, but I didn't have any problems. I'm excited to see how my 2022 will haul/tow with the extra 165lbft over my old 550, plus the 10 speed transmission.

That's kinda where I'm but it's the extra HP and tuned suspension of the F450 PU vs. the extra 5,500lb payload of the F550 with harsh suspension. For the cost of a F550 with suspension upgrades I can get a loaded F450.

Starting to learn toward the F450 PU. It will work for what I need for 2-3 years vs. trying to predict what (payload / wheel base / regular or crew cab) F550 will be needed in 5-10 years.

What color did you go with?

In Canada F450/550 Lariat doesn't come with dual tanks.

SitesSD

That's kinda where I'm but it's the extra HP and tuned suspension of the F450 PU vs. the extra 5,500lb payload of the F550 with harsh suspension. For the cost of a F550 with suspension upgrades I can get a loaded F450.

Starting to learn toward the F450 PU. It will work for what I need for 2-3 years vs. trying to predict what (payload / wheel base / regular or crew cab) F550 will be needed in 5-10 years.

What color did you go with?

In Canada F450/550 Lariat doesn't come with dual tanks.

My 550 didn't have the option for dual tanks either. But I wasn't sure if it was because it was a Lariat or because of the 179" wheelbase. It has provisions for the mid-ship tank and I've seen people retrofit them, but its just more money that I don't need to spend right now.

I went with Oxford White. I opted to go with the 550 over 450 to try and future proof any payload needs for combined camper + towing an 8-9k loaded flatbed when doing desert trips. I knew I could address the ass-kicking the unloaded rear suspension gives me with either the Kelderman or Liquid Spring, but I'm really trying to avoid having to sink another $10k+ when it will likely be parked 95%+ of the time. The DBL supers single package should be here at the end of the month... hopefully. I'm expecting that the new single rear tires with proper pressures should reduce the harshness a bit over the factory dually wheels/tires. But we'll see...

Alloy

My 550 didn't have the option for dual tanks either. But I wasn't sure if it was because it was a Lariat or because of the 179" wheelbase. It has provisions for the mid-ship tank and I've seen people retrofit them, but its just more money that I don't need to spend right now.

I went with Oxford White. I opted to go with the 550 over 450 to try and future proof any payload needs for combined camper + towing an 8-9k loaded flatbed when doing desert trips. I knew I could address the ass-kicking the unloaded rear suspension gives me with either the Kelderman or Liquid Spring, but I'm really trying to avoid having to sink another $10k+ when it will likely be parked 95%+ of the time. The DBL supers single package should be here at the end of the month... hopefully. I'm expecting that the new single rear tires with proper pressures should reduce the harshness a bit over the factory dually wheels/tires. But we'll see...

A thought I had to smooth the ride on the F550 was swapping it to F450 (maybe even F350) springs and using the 5000lb Firestone air bag kit.

Darwin

Explorer
Yeah.....I was thinking I'd buy a F550 add a 100hp with a tuner and I'm set but then I found out there's a few things they do to make the engine to last.
You will lose your powertrain warranty. To make them last, I would think would involve getting rid or preventing the $$damage that comes with the Cp4 injection pump when it gives out.

EDIT: I missed the sarcasm.

For reference Ram chassis cab is 325 HP and 800 ft. torque

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online