Paint or other coating options

Chorky

Observer
Went to another paint place to see what some options are. 1) buff and patch repairs - approx 2500. 2) total respray - starting at 20K They would not entertain spraying exterior with anything other than paint. Also suggested total respray would take about 8 months as warranty claims come first (this is the most reputable paint place in my area).

So, in addition to the above two options, I can entertain possibly
1) exterior coating with monstaliner, a permanent alteration
2) attempt to lightly sand down, rattle can w/paint, and rattle can w/clear coat myself. Totally unsure of how that would actually turn out in the end.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Another possibility:

Go to a local / regional classic car or tractor show. Look for a car with a decent but not amazing paint job. Something in one solid color with a little bit of orange peel. Find out who painted it, probably some guy working out of his garage for side jobs. Talk to that guy. When you are going to the “most reputable” shop in the area, you will always get the $10-20k quote as you are competing with local collision insurance jobs and the occasional “money is no object” custom. That middle sweet spot you’re seeking is in the weekend-for-cash guys. You probably want trim removed, grille masked, door jambs…? Check for rust and just clean them…. If you do all the trim and jambs and whatnot yourself, and have mid-level reasonable expectations for quality, you’ll find your guy.

javajoe79

Fabricator
It just doesn't make sense to me to spend much on paint for vehicles like ours. I'd definitely go the DIY route with something that can take the abuse. I did monsta liner on my NPR cab and will do the same on the camper box. On the roof of the camper I am going with Hy Tech roof guard bus coat or cool coat. Not sure yet.

Chorky

Observer
It just doesn't make sense to me to spend much on paint for vehicles like ours. I'd definitely go the DIY route with something that can take the abuse. I did monsta liner on my NPR cab and will do the same on the camper box. On the roof of the camper I am going with Hy Tech roof guard bus coat or cool coat. Not sure yet.

I fully agree with you. and had that conversation with 2 paint shops. I can't justify 20K for paint in the first place, nonetheless on somethig that will be in the woods all the time. It would just be nice to have the few beginning problem spots repaired before they become real trouble. So that's what I may do. Have the areas of concern fixed, which compared to other vehicles is super minor, and then just run with it until I have a garage and can paint it myself.

I did ask them about monstaliner, and they, from a paint perspective, said that over time, even though it has uv protectant, will shrink and then crack with so much sun exposure. I'm nto sure if anyone has experienced this first hand, but that has me holding off on the monstaliner idea for now, seeing as how that is such a permanent solution.

rruff

Explorer
I did ask them about monstaliner, and they, from a paint perspective, said that over time, even though it has uv protectant, will shrink and then crack with so much sun exposure.

I don't see it mentioned, but I think poly boat paint would be a good choice. It's tough with good UV resistance anyway. I painted a carbon bike frame with the 1 part Total Boat stuff, and I'm happy with how it came out. I cut it 50% with mineral spirits and wiped it on. This isn't an approved method but it was much easy to get a smooth finish than brushing or rolling.

Reactions: WVI

javajoe79

Fabricator
I fully agree with you. and had that conversation with 2 paint shops. I can't justify 20K for paint in the first place, nonetheless on somethig that will be in the woods all the time. It would just be nice to have the few beginning problem spots repaired before they become real trouble. So that's what I may do. Have the areas of concern fixed, which compared to other vehicles is super minor, and then just run with it until I have a garage and can paint it myself.

I did ask them about monstaliner, and they, from a paint perspective, said that over time, even though it has uv protectant, will shrink and then crack with so much sun exposure. I'm nto sure if anyone has experienced this first hand, but that has me holding off on the monstaliner idea for now, seeing as how that is such a permanent solution.
I've never heard that about monstaliner. Sounds like a biased opinion rather than actual experience but maybe not.

ExpoMike

I've never heard that about monstaliner. Sounds like a biased opinion rather than actual experience but maybe not.

Agreed. I have looked at Monstaliner and Raptor Liner and have not seen any long term issues with shrinking/cracking. Most issues have been with areas that were not prepped correctly and some slight fading depending on color. Overall both have been a very solid alternative to paint. I am likely going with one of them myself.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
@IdaSHO has experience with Monstaliner.

Yep, as well as Raptor.

I chose to use both for a few reasons.

The bed is done entirely in Raptor. As I recall, it has limited colors available, and was cheaper by volume.
I needed black, so the decision was easy. I could have used all Monstaliner, but I really wanted first hand experience with both.

The camper is entirely in Monstaliner. I wanted the color options as I didnt want to use decals, and was willing to push the limits of the product.
The results speak for themselves. This thing has never looked so good. Nor has it been this resilient to damage.

Both products are fantastic, and I recommend both to whomever asks about them.
They are both tough as nails, though I feel the Raptor is harder, and more likely to chip.
The Monstaliner, as hard as it is, still seems maintain an ability to flex, so it seems to take and absorb hits better.

As far as application Raptor is a bit more beginner friendly as the jugs come ready to go. Just add hardener, shake, attach gun, and spray.
With enough bottles lined up and prepped, once a bottle is empty, just grab another and keep spraying.

Monstaliner is more of a paint professional type product. Base, color, hardener, all mixed in the appropriate volumes, mixed in the correct order, doesn't come with a spray bottle, etc.
But it does offer loads of fantastic paint colors, and if you know your way around it, can mix essentially any volume of coating you need for the project at hand.
You do not need to use the entire gallon, per say, all at once. Monstaliner also allows for roller application, though I recommend spray.

**important note** the paint industry is currently experiencing massive shortcomings in product, containers, lids, etc. And Monstaliner is in the same boat. There are delays right now.

Pics...

Raptor on steel bed:

47876073851_50c4214709_b.jpg

Monstaliner on wood camper (marine grade ply, epoxy coated & glassed)
I used decals and multiple stages/colors of coating to produce the patterns

49957175256_a1ca7dfa97_b.jpg

Camper done

50017846356_57eec41b8b_b.jpg

The whole package

51432315759_dbdb72a1ff_h.jpg

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Yep, as well as Raptor.

I chose to use both for a few reasons.

The bed is done entirely in Raptor. As I recall, it has limited colors available, and was cheaper by volume.
I needed black, so the decision was easy. I could have used all Monstaliner, but I really wanted first hand experience with both.

The camper is entirely in Monstaliner. I wanted the color options as I didnt want to use decals, and was willing to push the limits of the product.
The results speak for themselves. This thing has never looked so good. Nor has it been this resilient to damage.

Both products are fantastic, and I recommend both to whomever asks about them.
They are both tough as nails, though I feel the Raptor is harder, and more likely to chip.
The Monstaliner, as hard as it is, still seems maintain an ability to flex, so it seems to take and absorb hits better.

As far as application Raptor is a bit more beginner friendly as the jugs come ready to go. Just add hardener, shake, attach gun, and spray.
With enough bottles lined up and prepped, once a bottle is empty, just grab another and keep spraying.

Monstaliner is more of a paint professional type product. Base, color, hardener, all mixed in the appropriate volumes, mixed in the correct order, doesn't come with a spray bottle, etc.
But it does offer loads of fantastic paint colors, and if you know your way around it, can mix essentially any volume of coating you need for the project at hand.
You do not need to use the entire gallon, per say, all at once. Monstaliner also allows for roller application, though I recommend spray.

**important note** the paint industry is currently experiencing massive shortcomings in product, containers, lids, etc. And Monstaliner is in the same boat. There are delays right now.

Wasn't your camper repainted just last year? I can't remember.... but remember when you went through and redid a bunch of work and sealing. The wood camper has held up really well!

Yeah I agree that the info I got from the paint places was highly biased... And I haven't heard of anything super negative about either product. However, I also haven't heard many reviews after 2, 5, 10 years of use...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, last spring. It has seen two summer and one winter of use so far. So not a long track record just yet.
Though "all" I did was retrofit the rear AC unit, plug an old (now unused) vent hole, and repaint. There wasn't any "sealing" work done whatsoever.

Im hardly the first to use it however. There are/were years and years of reviews of it over on Pirate well before I took the plunge.
Based upon those reviews I already knew it was tough. My only concern with it was how it would respond to the temperature changes, and any expansion/contraction of the the wood camper.
In the past year it has seen 15 below all the way up to 115 degrees (F), and roughly 45k miles, with zero evidence of trouble.

Zero concern at this point. (y)

ExpoMike

The biggest key factor to any coating (paint, *-liner, etc.) is prep. That is where all your time is and where a large amount of the cost for a pro do to is, is at. If the prep is not good, nothing is going to hold up. You basically need to sand/scuff, clean, de-grease every square inch of anything you are coating.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Speaking of, I'm curious, how do you go about doing a proper colour change? ie: truck is currently blue, but I would like to change it, but I want it to look right. I'm not as concerned about down in the engine bay, but at least the hood and door shut lines/jambs. Could these be done with a spray paint, and then the bedliner on the outside only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles