low/er budget camp stove review

pith helmet

My GasOne stove with self-refilled propane bottles was great during a week with no electricity following Hurricane Ida. I love it. Breakfast and dinners and making lots of coffee. I actually prefer this stove with propane here near sea-level.

TwinStick

Explorer
I find it quite comical that some people feel they just have to say something negative. Even though I clearly said "if you have a lot of food to prepare, water to heat up, coffee/tea to make. Obviously, it does not have to be run wide open. It simmers just fine.

The reason kitchen stoves are much lower output is because there is no wind or rain inside your house. And, to add my personal experience with my 10k btu per burner Coleman, I have had times when it took 30 minutes or more just to percolate a reg sized pot of coffee. It's nice to have the extra btu's when needed. Also, have you ever tried to heat up 4 gallons of water in a big pot for a dozen ears of corn with a Coleman with 10k burners ? I also thought that I said YMMV in my first post , which means "your method may vary ". If it does, that's fine, I am happy that what you have works for you.

Some people seem to be anti technology. And I can see why, up to a point. I can tell you that I am absolutely thrilled that anyone can now buy a factory new truck with lockers- for example. Technology is great when it works properly but absolutely sucks when it dont. Most manufacturers don't even stock parts for anything over 10 years old anymore. Just try getting a clutch & all the required parts for a G-56 manual shift Power Wagon. It is totally different than the
G-56 in a diesel. Even my dealer said "it's unavailable and good luck ".

So, my original post was to help those who can't see spending $300+ on a camp stove but want a very good alternative that delivers the goods in food prep. I hope I accomplished that.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

So, my original post was to help those who can't see spending $300+ on a camp stove but want a very good alternative that delivers the goods in food prep. I hope I accomplished that.
I have the Stansport version and like it a whole bunch too.
My griddle fits across the three burners perfectly and, let's just say, hashbrowns have never been better. Fried rice too.
Some things like to be cooked very hot and very fast. This stove does it in spades.
Does low temps okay too but you have to fiddle.

griddle.jpg

TwinStick

Explorer
I have to find a griddle for mine. Until I do, I have been using a HD thick bottom commercial cookie sheet pan. It works great as long as the lid is locked up at a 90° angle, if not, it slides around too much.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have to find a griddle for mine. Until I do, I have been using a HD thick bottom commercial cookie sheet pan. It works great as long as the lid is locked up at a 90° angle, if not, it slides around too much.
My griddle is a Nordic that I got at Walmart a long time ago. Works better on the Stansport than on my 5-burner range in the house.
Nonstick aluminum, easy to clean. Never had anything stick to it for long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles