Another 2020 Ram 5500 Flatbed Camper Build

andy_b

Not worried, but I'm definitely expecting to have some amount of condensation. I'll do my best to address it with good insulation, ventilation and design. In the end, no camper is perfect.

Boxxmanufaktur? I didn't know about them until just now. Beautiful work - probably built like a Panzer tank. If they had a cabover pop-up design, we'd be in business. Have you worked with them, or known anyone who has? I'd be interested in their feedback.

This wasn't directed to me but I've worked with Andreas at Boxmanufakur and he was phenomenal. Unlike Total Composites, they only build and ship you your camper built to your specs - no kits. Cost-wise, they were really similar to Total Composites if you had a 3rd party build the TC box and ship it to you. I liked that it was a German engineered and built product and there were no limitations to their custom abilities it seemed. They were also able to do complete interior buildouts, tray/mounting systems, etc although their mounting systems were only available for vehicles physically in the EU.

Overall, if I weren't interested in a more DIY approach, Boxmanufaktur would be a great option. They seemed able to provide an affordable option with tons of in-house customization and the ability to make a turn key camper. More importantly, they were interested in doing custom and weird little things unlike other folks just were not able to do (not TC but other manufacturers mentioned in this thread). Their only limitation was because they do only finished shells or campers, their lead time was really long when I inquired (last year it was 2+ years).

I went with TC because they're also a great company with a shorter lead time that allowed for a more DIY approach.

Brad_UT

That's great feedback on Boxmanufaktur. Lead times have to be considered though, and right now, I just want to get this project moving again.

If TC had a flatbed cabover pop-up kit (or assembled/finished shell) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. No question composite campers are the way to go.

RS59

fullsizeoutput_49c1.jpegBuilt these. Going to use stock bushings. Ill start another thread in the next couple weeks if i finally get all the pieces. Another another 5500 build. Sorry for hijacking.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
This wasn't directed to me but I've worked with Andreas at Boxmanufakur and he was phenomenal. Unlike Total Composites, they only build and ship you your camper built to your specs - no kits. Cost-wise, they were really similar to Total Composites if you had a 3rd party build the TC box and ship it to you. I liked that it was a German engineered and built product and there were no limitations to their custom abilities it seemed. They were also able to do complete interior buildouts, tray/mounting systems, etc although their mounting systems were only available for vehicles physically in the EU.

Overall, if I weren't interested in a more DIY approach, Boxmanufaktur would be a great option. They seemed able to provide an affordable option with tons of in-house customization and the ability to make a turn key camper. More importantly, they were interested in doing custom and weird little things unlike other folks just were not able to do (not TC but other manufacturers mentioned in this thread). Their only limitation was because they do only finished shells or campers, their lead time was really long when I inquired (last year it was 2+ years).

I went with TC because they're also a great company with a shorter lead time that allowed for a more DIY approach.

Great info AndyB.
Boxmfr has been in the composite cabin building business for something like 35yrs IIRC...started with commercial refrigeration boxes working with another German outfit. Andreas(yes, a 2nd one like TC's Andreas) is in Vegas, and is heading the USA push.
They have lots of cabover cabins with all different types of height/contour "alcoves"(for storage or sleeping), and can do a hinging poptop roofs(either Westfalia style, or reverse Westy, or dual hinging like the Schmude Camptop S5 on the Mercedes G-Wagen--Google it).
Andreas is currently building himself a new F550 with alcove cabin and they're doing the full interior--top shelf craftmanship, ala the other big players like Earthroamer and GXV, although LOOOTS less money.
Regretfully I didn't move forward with a 7'W x 9'L cabin from Boxmfr (priced at about $25k, windows/doors extra), namely because of the extra complexity with needing a torsion-free subframe made, and so far in the USA they have few vendors for that.
And as of about a month ago, their German factory was about 8months out for a new cabin build.
Check out their IG, they always have new pics/video on there.

Hey RAM5500thang, ever heard of condensing your replies into a single post? :p

StenchRV

If you are still headed to Expo MTN West, would like to stop and say hello. We arrived in Fort Collins this evening, enjoying the good beer and food! Our truck was ordered late May, here soon…we hope! Thanks to all of the RAM 5500 builders on the forum to get the order as correct as possible ?. I have followed your build since the beginning and would love to see your truck in person.
Cheers,
Craig

Brad_UT

If you are still headed to Expo MTN West, would like to stop and say hello. We arrived in Fort Collins this evening, enjoying the good beer and food! Our truck was ordered late May, here soon…we hope! Thanks to all of the RAM 5500 builders on the forum to get the order as correct as possible ?. I have followed your build since the beginning and would love to see your truck in person.
Cheers,
Craig
Hi Craig,
I'm leaving SLC this morning and should arrive at the expo late Friday morning. I'll be parked in the on-site camping area so keep an eye out for the truck and stop by when you have time. I look forward to meeting you. I'll PM you my number. BR, -Brad

StenchRV

I have been following multiple RAM 5500 builds on the forum over the last year or so. This was the first time I was able to see a build in progress by an EP member. All I can say is GREAT JOB Brad. The extra time spent doing it right pays off down the road. You obviously put a LOT of thought into your project, and it shows. Brad’s truck looked really good on the forum, but looked great in person. Thanks again Brad for your time and letting me crawl all over,under, and inside your project and answering my many questions. I can not wait to see it done!…..in person?. Thanks again to all of you for your experience, knowledge, and help! Cheers!

Brad_UT

I have been following multiple RAM 5500 builds on the forum over the last year or so. This was the first time I was able to see a build in progress by an EP member. All I can say is GREAT JOB Brad. The extra time spent doing it right pays off down the road. You obviously put a LOT of thought into your project, and it shows. Brad’s truck looked really good on the forum, but looked great in person. Thanks again Brad for your time and letting me crawl all over,under, and inside your project and answering my many questions. I can not wait to see it done!…..in person?. Thanks again to all of you for your experience, knowledge, and help! Cheers!
This was my first Overland Expo event and I have to say I was so glad I made the long trip. I met quite a few folks who just like us enjoy the build process and take pride in all the details. That builder/fabricator spirit is still alive and well in our community and I feel blessed to be in such good company.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you and look forward to seeing your build come together. I'm sure yours will be even better than mine. Keep in touch sir!

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Hi, Brad! I (Nick) met you briefly on Saturday outside the Bison Overland spot. Awesoke truck! I wish I had had more time to check it out!

Care to share your Bison camper drawings?

I am still thinking of going the 5500 route. We'll see! If I do and you still have the fenders, and want to sell, I'd be interested.

Last edited:

Brad_UT

Hi, Brad! I (Nick) met you briefly on Saturday outside the Bison Overland spot. Awesoke truck! I wish I had had more time to check it out!

Care to share your Bison camper drawings?

I am still thinking of going the 5500 route. We'll see! If I do and you still have the fenders, and want to sell, I'd be interested.
Hi Nick! Glad you found us. Be sure to check out the other Ram 5500 build threads here on EP to see what you're getting yourself into, lol.

I'm working with Bison now to revise the drawings. I'll have something to share in a few weeks. The new estimated delivery date is 1/1/2022.

Brad_UT

Banks Pedal Monster on a 5500?

If you have a late model diesel truck you have no doubt noticed a significant "disconnect" between your foot and the engine. This "dead pedal" issue is widely known and only made worse by the detuned 6.7L we have in our trucks. I wanted to try one of these "throttle sensitivity boosters" but didn't want to spend the money without knowing if it would work first.

Luckily my neighbor just bought a 2021 Ram 3500 with the HO 6.7L Cummins. He added a Banks Pedal Monster (w/o iDash gauge) and let me try it out for a while. Here's what I found:

It is compatible with our trucks. It plugs in just fine and everything works like it should. I downloaded the iPhone app and had it connected in no time. No issues whatsoever. When driving around the city, the truck "feels" more peppy. If you select the Sport or Track mode, it's almost twitchy -- like a car with a feather light gas pedal. You can easily change modes from the app, but you have to be stopped.

What it doesn't do is make any real difference when, for example, you're at a stop sign and need to floor the gas to dart out into traffic. It also makes no difference when you're on the freeway and floor it to pass someone. In each of these scenarios, the computer waits for the turbo to spool up before dumping in more fuel. A downshift will probably be needed too so this only adds to the delay. This is strictly for emissions and to prevent "rolling coal" on that Prius behind you. Only a real engine tune can change that.

So, it adds a small fun factor to your driving, but it really doesn't help with the two scenarios above that bug me most. I'm going to hold off on getting one and opt instead for a real tune once I get further into my warranty. This is just my two cents, but I wanted to post it since I could find no mention of a Pedal Monster on a 5500 anywhere else on the net.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles