New Bronco

D

Deleted member 9101

Doesn't the Ford GT use a 3.5 V6? I would assume it's a little different than the run of the mill 3.5EB or 2.7EB

IIRC the GT has the same block, fuel system, and heads as every other 3.5 Ecoboost. I know that the turbos, manifolds, pistons, rods, crankshaft, cam profiles, ignition coils, and intake are special to the GT. It also runs a dry sump oil system. It's based on Fords IMSA Daytona Prototype race car.

The 3.5 in the GT was modified and used in Ken Block's F150. 914 HP 702 TQ.

Also..the 3.5 and 2.7 have little to nothing in common. They are completely different series of motors designed in different decades by different people.

Last edited by a moderator:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
In my case the new Tahoe wasn’t available yet, the old tired prior generation the 5.3 wasn’t offered with the 10spd, local GMC dealers were absolutely not willing to deal period. I also wanted modern seating configuration with 2nd row bench. Locking rear diff and HD tow pack was the final nail in the coffin for the GM twins.

The 3.5 over the 5.3 today with badly needed new model I would say altitude performance and again payload numbers the Ford Expedition still has the 5.3 beat. As for maintenance and that stuff? Mehh its likely a wash especially given the altitude performance and payload options Ford has over the GM twins.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Speaking of Bronco got to sit in one finally! First impressions WAY WAY superior seating room over my buddies 4dr Rubie. That alone is a big bonus!!! I don’t feel like I’m jammed against the dash, and even pushed back for extra extra front space the rear passengers actually have leg room. Vs basically no room lol. That alone is a big deal.
Also sat in the Mache wanted to compare to wife’s Fusion plug-in. Better seating space for sure. Seat bottoms are shorter tho, no cooled seats ? in any trim. Trunk has more room but narrower so golf clubs won’t fit without dropping the 2nd row seat back, kinda a crappy oversight.
Liked it nicer interior and seats than the T3 in the family. But they need to add cooled seats and bring the interior up a notch to match the Fusion Titanium sport seat quality.

Jupiter58

IIRC the GT has the same block, fuel system, and heads as every other 3.5 Ecoboost. I know that the turbos, manifolds, pistons, rods, crankshaft, cam profiles, ignition coils, and intake are special to the GT. It also runs a dry sump oil system. It's based on Fords IMSA Daytona Prototype race car.

The 3.5 in the GT was modified and used in Ken Block's F150. 914 HP 702 TQ.

Also..the 3.5 and 2.7 have little to nothing in common. They are completely different series of motors designed in different decades by different people.

Yes and no. You keep referring to the 3.5 as ancient because they used the 3.5 block from 2006 or 7. But since then pretty much everything on that motor has changed except for just the block. It is an all new engine compared to the NA 3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes and no. You keep referring to the 3.5 as ancient because they used the 3.5 block from 2006 or 7. But since then pretty much everything on that motor has changed except for just the block. It is an all new engine compared to the NA 3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While true... It still shares the same archaic design and other than the GT they haven't fixed the cam phaser issue or the warped exhaust manifolds... Lol. The only major changes to the 3.5 over the years was adding port injection, newer turbos, and bumping up the compression ratio. They also hollowed out the cam shafts, and added roller finger followers for the valve train. It's still the same basic design from a decade and a half ago.

The real game changer was in 2015 when they added the 10 speed and the F150 weighed hundreds of pounds less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my wife and I are heading down to the Las Vegas Off-Rodeo this weekend. Will be nice to see how it really feels and works. My wife has a 2dr Rubicon and it will be interesting to compare how it handles, drives, feels, etc. I understand most of the ones they have there are 4dr Sasquatch Badlands which is my build and what I want to drive so it won't be a full apples to apples but close enough. Who knows, with any luck I'll have it by this time next year...(sticking with the hardtop come hell or high water)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As a side note. All dealers have been moving to remote hidden lots for inventory housing. To give the walk on buyer the false impression that availability is limited. The trend has continued to morph into the current scenario where dealers want you to “order” it but in reality they just go pull it out of inventory or swap colors with neighboring dealers etc. All designed to reduce discounting prices or justify dealer tack on pricing over msrp. ?

Grassland

I forgot I was reading a Bronco thread here for a bit.

More derail,
The only time a 2.7 gets bad mileage is when the driver uses a gratuitous amount of right foot pressure...lol. I have to try to get my F150 to get under 20mpg.

Also... The 2.7 is a very well sorted out motor that's over built and then some. Unlike the 3.5 that was adapted from the N/A 3.5, the 2.7 was designed from the very beginning to be a twin turbo, full size truck motor...

The 3.5 engine series was designed with turbo charging and direct injection in mind from the very beginning, along with a range of displacements.

The bronco is a heavy boy, I'd have to check but at 5k that's probably Explorer weight class, but more rolling mass. The 2.3 is what's standard fair in the Explorer and that's rated for 6000# towing IIRC. It's a shame the 2.7 Bronco only rated for max of 3500.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

More derail,

The 3.5 engine series was designed with turbo charging and direct injection in mind from the very beginning, along with a range of displacements.

The bronco is a heavy boy, I'd have to check but at 5k that's probably Explorer weight class, but more rolling mass. The 2.3 is what's standard fair in the Explorer and that's rated for 6000# towing IIRC. It's a shame the 2.7 Bronco only rated for max of 3500.
Bronco towing ratings are likely more of a CG / stability factor rather than power and/or cooling related. A Explorer is going to be far far far more planted and stable than the Bronco.

D

Deleted member 9101

More derail,

True...and that design was based on a preexisting motor...lol. The 2.7 is not based on any other engine, just like the new 7.3, it was designed from scratch to be a truck engine. Hence why neither share parts with other Ford engines.

D

Deleted member 9101

Bronco towing ratings are likely more of a CG / stability factor rather than power and/or cooling related. A Explorer is going to be far far far more planted and stable than the Bronco.

Also...it's suspension is designed for articulation, which doesn't necessarily translate to stable towing.

85_Ranger4x4

Bronco is very CG/payload challenged. To the point Ford doesn't even allow paint protection film on sasquatch cars because of gvwr concerns.

They had a chance to one up jeep with a payload/tow package and so far they have shown no interest. Granted they have much bigger whales to fry at the moment...

MPG... totally nothing to brag about.

Our 2.3 Bronco on 32's is rated the same my V8 swapped ranger gets on 31's loaded for bear on cross county trips. Which is also pretty much the same my old F-150 gets. Nothing very impressive with high teens Hwy in the 2020's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online