New Bronco

85_Ranger4x4

While i have no skin in the game, they seem to be honestly doing everything they can to correct the error and replace all the tops involved asap. I'll say that they are much more forth coming with the problem than Toyota was about my frame rusting underneath an otherwise pristine truck.

It sucks but i don't want a bad top.

Lots are going full on torch and pitchfork over it though.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Lots are going full on torch and pitchfork over it though.

That's probably why Ford is being so delicate and forthright about the messaging. The whole sales-life of this Bronco could be tainted by an (apparently) minor production issue from a supplier.

85_Ranger4x4

That's probably why Ford is being so delicate and forthright about the messaging. The whole sales-life of this Bronco could be tainted by an (apparently) minor production issue from a supplier.

The torch and pitchfork crowd want more communication... and they don't want excuses.

I gave up on Bronco forums, more crying than a loose fan belt.

utherjorge

Observer
I gave up on Bronco forums, more crying than a loose fan belt.
It's funny you say that. I have questions.

I hear that the EcoBoosts are overbuilt (it's not just here: I have a couple of friends that have them and love them. They have not modded them, but aside from terrible mileage, they think they are great) and that they're a solid motor.

However, whenever the engines come up in other places I trust (yesterday, The Drive) I hear/see people say that the motors are junk and have many problems. So, let's go backwards. What problems do they have, aside from the aforementioned terrible mileage?

Dougnuts

I hear that the EcoBoosts are overbuilt (it's not just here: I have a couple of friends that have them and love them. They have not modded them, but aside from terrible mileage, they think they are great) and that they're a solid motor.

However, whenever the engines come up in other places I trust (yesterday, The Drive) I hear/see people say that the motors are junk and have many problems. So, let's go backwards. What problems do they have, aside from the aforementioned terrible mileage?

Well, let’s start with the mileage. I don’t think it’s that bad for what it’s moving (in the Bronco).

The 3.5TT in my 2018 F150 got legit low 20’s before I added a level, 34’s and bypassed the IWE’s. Maybe the gen 1 Ecoboosts weren’t as good, but I love mine so far….58k miles. The 2.7TT should be as good.

skrypj

The ecoboosts do not get terrible mileage. Especially the 2.7. The 3.5 isnt quite as good but still better than most V8’s except the GM’s, which are about even.

D

Deleted member 9101

The only time a 2.7 gets bad mileage is when the driver uses a gratuitous amount of right foot pressure...lol. I have to try to get my F150 to get under 20mpg.

Also... The 2.7 is a very well sorted out motor that's over built and then some. Unlike the 3.5 that was adapted from the N/A 3.5, the 2.7 was designed from the very beginning to be a twin turbo, full size truck motor.

The 2.7 is the most popular motor, in the best selling Full size truck for a reason.... Just go drive one and you'll see why.

I have right at 75k on mine... It's pretty modified and it hasn't flinched. It doesn't matter if I go to the drag strip, tow a travel trailer, or drive it to work.... It does everything I ask of it well.

roving1

People that get or think ecoboosts get bad fuel mileage seem to fall into two camps.

1)Have no idea how a turbo works and therefore really don't understand how using that torque and running in the boost all the time effects MPG

2)Don't have a frame of reference that for most of history towing something did not mean driving the car like a vehicle not towing and it meant you could not merge on the freeway and be doing over the speed limit at the end of the ramp nor traveling up every grade at the speed limit with the cruise control on. Doing these things while towing comes at a cost and that cost is MPG.

With a modicum of mechanical sympathy you can coax decent MPG from them. For me always better than a V8. But the V8's are not particularly fun to flog and make enough fuss while doing it you are more aware of it and the EB's get into torque so effortlessly they often are flogged even when people have no idea they are doing it. Adding to the skewed MPG perception.

Jupiter58

Wrong on all counts. If Ford drops an HO 3.5 EB in a bronco it would be a beast. No other manufacturer can match the 3.5 and the 10 speed mated to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not questioning that it would or would not be a beast.

Questioning longevity and fuel mileage.
Even the early 3.5’s that had some minor design issues are turning up with high miles in service vehicles. The current 3.5’s have quietly been tweaked to address turbo heat and a few other things.
As for v8 vs the 3.5? Close friend got his 5.3 Tahoe off road z package a yr after I got my Expedition fully loaded HD pack rig. Similar trips hauling kids in town I average 1-2mpg better than he does. On near identical camping/ road trips I tend to see 1-2mpg average better than him. Having said that the 5.3 would be my choice also and yes the new Tahoe would have been a serious contender in my shopping. Both rigs are great machines.

As for the 3.5 vs V8? The 3.5 is a bizarre experience given it gives you a very lazy never wound up never working hard experience even when you drop it to sport mode and enter the highway at 100mph on a short on ramp?. 3000+rpm is just very rare with that engine its very different than the V8’s roaring in the 5000rpm zone.

utherjorge

Observer
Having said that the 5.3 would be my choice also and yes the new Tahoe would have been a serious contender in my shopping. Both rigs are great machines.

I had a 1500 Suburban with the 5.3 before I picked up my DD G470 with the 4.7 V-8. I am a child so I do like the sound a V-8 makes.

But I'm really interested in why you'd go with the 5.3 if you had the chance.

With all of this typing, I got to thinking that I wonder if any of the "hate" the Ecos get is because of that swap in the Raptor from the V-8 to the Eco...and how people were initially mad about it.

D

Deleted member 9101

Not questioning that it would or would not be a beast.

Questioning longevity and fuel mileage.

There is a 2.7 on F150forum with almost 500,000 on it.

There is also a good number of problem free 200,000+ trucks with the 2.7/3.5.

D

Deleted member 9101

With all of this typing, I got to thinking that I wonder if any of the "hate" the Ecos get is because of that swap in the Raptor from the V-8 to the Eco...and how people were initially mad about it.

Dude... I had a coworker with a 6.2 Raptor that got really upset when my 2.7 obliterated him leaving a stop light...lol.

For some reason people only focus on the number of cylinders and the displacement and pay zero attention to anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles