2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

Davi Florea

1. Most people don't make extended voyages into the back country.

2. Most people don't plan on driving their vehicle outside of the US.

3. It's far from expensive. In fact, after the federal tax credit, even if you pay full sticker it's still cheaper than a gas STX F150.

4. Ford literally said that they designed it to meet the needs of the majority of their 1/2 ton truck buyers.
It’s going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I could see having one EV for every day trips shopping driving back and forth to work. But for my type of recreational vehicle it would not do well. We will be able to reduce our carbon foot print. That’s great.But it’s going to be quite a while before our society is weaned completely off of fossil fuel.

D

Deleted member 9101

It’s going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I could see having one EV for every day trips shopping driving back and forth to work. But for my type of recreational vehicle it would not do well. We will be able to reduce our carbon foot print. That’s great.But it’s going to be quite a while before our society is weaned completely off of fossil fuel.

I agree 100%. I figure my wife's next car will be an EV and my next truck will probably be a hybrid.

jbaucom

I expect our next car will be an EV too, as technology continues to trickle down to the more affordable end of the spectrum, I could see an electric mid-size sedan or crossover replacing our Subaru Ascent, since we probably won't really need 3-row seating by the time it's due for replacement. I'd love to see more PHEV vehicles, especially trucks. I drive less than 10 miles one-way to work, so a PHEV truck with 25-30 miles of electric range would allow me to drive all week on battery power without suffering any EV limitations for weekend or weeklong trips. I always thought GMs Voltec powertrain should have been more successful than it was, but marketing failed to educate the masses, so most people thought it was a BEV. Also, it would have been much better paired with a more popular style of vehicle, like the Equinox. Even though the initial reviews aren't really positive for the drivetrain, I'd buy a Wrangler 4xe now, if a Wrangler met our needs.

D

Deleted member 9101

I expect our next car will be an EV too, as technology continues to trickle down to the more affordable end of the spectrum, I could see an electric mid-size sedan or crossover replacing our Subaru Ascent, since we probably won't really need 3-row seating by the time it's due for replacement. I'd love to see more PHEV vehicles, especially trucks. I drive less than 10 miles one-way to work, so a PHEV truck with 25-30 miles of electric range would allow me to drive all week on battery power without suffering any EV limitations for weekend or weeklong trips. I always thought GMs Voltec powertrain should have been more successful than it was, but marketing failed to educate the masses, so most people thought it was a BEV. Also, it would have been much better paired with a more popular style of vehicle, like the Equinox. Even though the initial reviews aren't really positive for the drivetrain, I'd buy a Wrangler 4xe now, if a Wrangler met our needs.

I'm really hoping that Ford follows through with it's patent on a "range extender" for electric trucks. It's basically generator in a cross bed tool box that you rent from a Dealer when you need extra range out of your EV.

Davi Florea

I have to admit That I am very uninformed about EV trucks ,cars and the like. My technical knowledge is limited to a rudimentary understanding with respect to weight of batteries vs output and the effect of drag on output. I always thought that hydrogen would be our savior. the laws of physics will prevail. were at the cusp of change and hopefully discovery. for sure the next 30 years will be the end of carbon producing vehicles.

Chorky

Observer
admit That I am very uninformed about EV trucks ,cars and the like. My technical knowledge is limited to a rudimentary understanding with respect to weight of batteries vs output and the effect of drag on output. I always thought that hydrogen would be our savior. the laws of physics will prevail. were at the cusp of change and hopefully discovery. for sure the next 30 years will be the end of carbon

yeah except the current methods of extraction for raw materials for batteries is way worse for the environment than carbon. at least with current technology. and still requires gas/oil based machines and equipment to turn into a product and ship to its final destination. But maybe in another 30 years it would be a different story.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Is the 2022 ev f150 the truck used in the commercial showing 'powering up a 2k square foot house during a power outage? Very impressive if so.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Is the 2022 ev f150 the truck used in the commercial showing 'powering up a 2k square foot house during a power outage? Very impressive if so.
I power my 2700sqft house on a 3500 watt generator using the standard 30amp feed.
The EV f150 is 7500 watts on a 50amp feed.
Not really a big deal just a very smart inclusion of useful hardware?.

What bugs me are the home owners that buy a construction site 7500 watt generator to use a 30amp feed?. Loud as hell, and only using 1/2 the capacity lol

D

Deleted member 144299

yeah except the current methods of extraction for raw materials for batteries is way worse for the environment than carbon. at least with current technology. and still requires gas/oil based machines and equipment to turn into a product and ship to its final destination. But maybe in another 30 years it would be a different story.

I realize that Lithium mining is a major problem for human rights and the environment but care to link the research showing that Its way worse than carbon emissions?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
In the Texas ice storm example the hybrid F150 is a better solution than the full EV. Same issue as those who had solar power and Tesla walls on their house. They either ran empty by day 3 or rationed power heavily and kept a close eye on their solar generation which was near zero for 4-5 days at best.
Hybrid F150 gives you multi fuel advantages in that situation.

I have a 3500 watt gas generator and a 8.2kwh solar system opted to skip the telsa wall idea given when we need power typically solar generation is lousy to zero anyway. So$25,000 battery investment on battery technology with a 10-15yr service life and still having power outage issues made no sense. $2000 investment on the 3500 watt generator and transfer switch was a more cost efficient and effective solution?

D

Deleted member 9101

In the Texas ice storm example the hybrid F150 is a better solution than the full EV. Same issue as those who had solar power and Tesla walls on their house. They either ran empty by day 3 or rationed power heavily and kept a close eye on their solar generation which was near zero for 4-5 days at best.
Hybrid F150 gives you multi fuel advantages in that situation.

I have a 3500 watt gas generator and a 8.2kwh solar system opted to skip the telsa wall idea given when we need power typically solar generation is lousy to zero anyway. So$25,000 battery investment on battery technology with a 10-15yr service life and still having power outage issues made no sense. $2000 investment on the 3500 watt generator and transfer switch was a more cost efficient and effective solution?

That's my same plan for hurricane season. When power is out....So is the sun....lol.

I have a 4kw solar system on my roof that will put out 1.5kw when disconnected from the grid....lol

D

Deleted member 144299

I've never lived in an area that's likely to lose power for weeks on end but I did live in a house that would lose power for a day or two several times a month and I could see having a battery backup useful in those situations to just keep the fridge cold. The house has a propane generator hardwired with a grid bypass that was super easy to operate but I honestly would've left it off most of the time if it wasn't for food spoilage.

Of course for the F150 to power your house during an outage you have to be home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles