New Defender News

A.J.M

Explorer
I think TFL know fine well that a video showing a defender doing poorly is a guaranteed money maker.

the vast majority of their videos are them having a hissy over it in one shape or another with click bait pictures and “you’ll never guess what’s broken with our new Defender” wording on it.

The defender does need a better tyre for some off roading as theGoodyear’s are ok but not brilliant.

but then, TFL need to learn to drive better…
Or… try and not deliberately set up stuff to fail.

but then that doesn’t get the revenue flowing so I doubt that’s going to happen.

XJLI

Adventurer
TFL has and always will be been a ******** channel for anything except tow tests up Ike gauntlet. Whether they actually dumb or playing it up for YouTube, they’re gonna keep doing it the way they are for the clicks.

T-Willy

But they got clicks, yo.

If you drive the way they did in the video, like complete Jerrys, then yes, you better have 37's on 18's aired down to 20 psi and about six spares.

The bone stock Land Rovers that run in Moab, guided by professional Land Rover guides, do just fine.

Mine does just fine on 20's and those exact tires.

You adjust your driving to the vehicle and the trail. The Defender isn't handicapped on that trail at all. But if they drove it correctly, and it handled the trail as easily as it can, then they wouldn't be getting 200,000 views and the ad revenue that comes with it.

It's common knowledge that low profile tires are poorly suited to off road driving for precisely the reasons shown in the video. I would never use this "off road" wheel and tire combination in Baja, for example. There's a high probability of failure from those dirt roads' embedded rocks. It's a needless and avoidable risk misfit to remote travel.

That JLR sells its premier off road vehicle with an off road package that includes low profile tires on 20 inch wheels defies common sense. While one's driving can mitigate such risks, a better approach--the approach taken by the rest of the off road world since its inception--is to simply avoid that risk by using smaller wheels and larger-profile tires.

As special as it is, the new Defender still does not change basic physics.

Last edited:

T-Willy

I think TFL know fine well that a video showing a defender doing poorly is a guaranteed money maker.

the vast majority of their videos are them having a hissy over it in one shape or another with click bait pictures and “you’ll never guess what’s broken with our new Defender” wording on it.

The defender does need a better tyre for some off roading as theGoodyear’s are ok but not brilliant.

but then, TFL need to learn to drive better…
Or… try and not deliberately set up stuff to fail.

but then that doesn’t get the revenue flowing so I doubt that’s going to happen.

If Defender has been a gold mine for TFL, it is primarily because Defender's (wait, no -- Defenders') parade of problems have confirmed JLR's reputation for poor quality and reliability. This is always a very difficult pill for JLR brand loyalists to swallow, but that reputation exists for a reason, and TFL's experience with Defender unavoidably confirms it. TFL has also shown that JLR and its dealers have been impeccable dealing with those various problems.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
20" / low profile wheels have been a poor choice since their introduction. JLR should know that as part of their knowledge base for the off road sector. Especially for the Defender.

Their new CEO realizes quality and reliability are a JLR issues and at least has started firing execs.

DieselRanger

It's common knowledge that low profile tires are poorly suited to off road driving for precisely the reasons shown in the video. I would never use this "off road" wheel and tire combination in Baja, for example. There's a high probability of failure from those dirt roads' embedded rocks. It's a needless and avoidable risk misfit to remote travel.

That JLR sells its premier off road vehicle with an off road package that includes low profile tires on 20 inch wheels defies common sense. While one's driving can mitigate such risks, a better approach--the approach taken by the rest of the off road world since its inception--is to simply avoid that risk by using smaller wheels and larger-profile tires.

As special as it is, the new Defender still does not change basic physics.
Is a 60-series tire "low profile"? Only if you're driving KOH style or racing in Baja, or you line up 6 feet from a square edged obstacle and hit the gas, as "the best offroad driver" in that party did.

And no, I would not drive at 70mph in Baja on those tires, but climbing a forest road in Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico (over razor sharp caliche).... I do it all the time.

Ignore the fact that Land Rovers drive on these wheels and tires all the time, if you want.

Drive appropriately for your gear and the conditions, not that hard a concept.

A.J.M

Explorer
If Defender has been a gold mine for TFL, it is primarily because Defender's (wait, no -- Defenders') parade of problems have confirmed JLR's reputation for poor quality and reliability. This is always a very difficult pill for JLR brand loyalists to swallow, but that reputation exists for a reason, and TFL's experience with Defender unavoidably confirms it. TFL has also shown that JLR and its dealers have been impeccable dealing with those various problems.

So?
Yes they have reliability issues.
I’ve not met a single landy owner, new or older model that would claim otherwise…

It’s part and parcel of owning one, you know fine well it’s going to have issues but you’ll have one anyway.

Does anyone know what the final result of the TFL first defender was? Why did it have the check engine light and how was it repaired?

Also, 60 profile is bigger than the tyres on my D3 and Freeby.

I wouldn’t call them low profile by any stretch.

But I would like a more aggressive tyre offered by Land Rover.

DieselRanger

But I would like a more aggressive tyre offered by Land Rover.
You can get a Wrangler DuraTrac as a dealer-installed option. The fact that TFL didn't know this is frankly yet another piece of evidence that they are not in the business of objectively reviewing trucks, but in creating clickbait videos.

A.J.M

Explorer
Oh I know you can.

I like the Duratracs,
I’ve ran them on my Disco 3 for years but they do have the same sidewall issue.
What tyres do the jeep and Ford run?

I still maintain the TFL guys are at it.
They are deliberately doing stuff to get the reaction and they know fine well it’s a revenue maker.

They either need some training or to make it less obvious they are at it.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
So?
Yes they have reliability issues.
I’ve not met a single landy owner, new or older model that would claim otherwise…

It’s part and parcel of owning one, you know fine well it’s going to have issues but you’ll have one anyway.

Does anyone know what the final result of the TFL first defender was? Why did it have the check engine light and how was it repaired?

Also, 60 profile is bigger than the tyres on my D3 and Freeby.

I wouldn’t call them low profile by any stretch.
I’ve known people that have bought them not knowing the expensive turds they would be. It’s one thing to get an older one w/problems but not in 2021, they should be better by now.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Oh I know you can.

I like the Duratracs,
I’ve ran them on my Disco 3 for years but they do have the same sidewall issue.
What tyres do the jeep and Ford run?

I still maintain the TFL guys are at it.
They are deliberately doing stuff to get the reaction and they know fine well it’s a revenue maker.

They either need some training or to make it less obvious they are at it.
They are fair and honest- that’s why their show is so well liked. They just posted a video on the new bronco hardtop issues.

naks

TFL has and always will be been a ******** channel for anything except tow tests up Ike gauntlet. Whether they actually dumb or playing it up for YouTube, they’re gonna keep doing it the way they are for the clicks.

I have to agree there. When I saw them pulling out the factory scissor jack to change the Defender's tyre, all respect was lost.

that is the FIRST piece of equipment you throw away on ANY land rover, never mind one that you will take off-road.

at least they brought a decent jack for the rescue...

A.J.M

Explorer
I’ve known people that have bought them not knowing the expensive turds they would be. It’s one thing to get an older one w/problems but not in 2021, they should be better by now.

And I know people who have bought them and had zero faults.
One of our club members got a new 90 from the first production batch and has had no issues.
Another got a first wave 110. 2 software issues and the A pillar noise but otherwise a fine car.
It’s done over 12,000 miles.
Others have bought new and had a couple of niggles.
None of them have had a basket case turd of a car.

One had the D4 glass crank issue but a good dealer and full LR history got a free replacement engine in his 2016 D4.

Should JLR have smaller wheels on the P400.
Yes. It’s a silly mistake to not have that.

should TFL learn to drive better off road?
Yes. Yelling “Power” and flooring it at stuff isn’t going to be the best way.

Rather interestingly.

a mate was at a landy show and saw the Bowler 90.
Its on 265/65/18 KO2s for tyres.

they are a more aggressive tyre.
I wonder if they could become an option for the cars.

Attachments

• 719DF7B0-629E-4F2B-BC58-544BE79A806C.jpeg
    719DF7B0-629E-4F2B-BC58-544BE79A806C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 5F7F060F-DAE5-4D74-85A0-FC6E72F4A2AC.jpeg
    5F7F060F-DAE5-4D74-85A0-FC6E72F4A2AC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles