Rear Bumper w/ Swingout Tire Carrier for F150... Why doesn't this exist!?!?

displacedtexan

Yep, agreed. The rear swing out is neat.

I don't think it would work for me as I tow. It's already a pain just trying to open the tailgate once the trailer is hooked up.
I think that's the reason you don't see them much.

They interfere with the "normal" "truck things".

It's easy to forget that what seems normal or useful, can be odd or even a hindrance to the average consumer.

Grassland

Really appreciate all the input and discussion... Here's the build so far. Comments, suggestion, scathing criticisms, and ad hominem attacks welcomed!

Next month she (Code Name: Heidi) get legs and shoes. Fox 2.5 w/ DSC all around and Deaver HD +1" leafs. Tires and wheels are LT315\70\R17 KO2 (...on the band wagon too!) mounted to Evo Corse wheels in matte black.

Should I start a build thread or would that obnoxious, as I am VERY new member?

View attachment 672480
Build thread and pics

Really appreciate all the input and discussion... Here's the build so far. Comments, suggestion, scathing criticisms, and ad hominem attacks welcomed!

Next month she (Code Name: Heidi) get legs and shoes. Fox 2.5 w/ DSC all around and Deaver HD +1" leafs. Tires and wheels are LT315\70\R17 KO2 (...on the band wagon too!) mounted to Evo Corse wheels in matte black.

Should I start a build thread or would that obnoxious, as I am VERY new member?
As you have found, no one makes a rear swingout bumper for the F-150/Raptor. There are many threads on various forums covering this. I've talked with Expedition One a couple times and they will likely put one out in ~18 months. C4 is ~24 months.

If you haven't already spent the $ look into the HD3 or HD4 Deavers. Additionally 17-18 rear Raptor take offs (or 19+ w/ live wire delete) will give you everything the Fox 2.5 DSC's do but cost less. Alternatively 1g/2g Raptor Icon or King bypasses fit with some work. 1g/2g Raptor Fox bypasses do not fit due to the inner bypass tube placement (they are installed in the photo, pulled them after a 5 mile drive due to rubbing). Icon billet UCAs + SPC Performance 86252 HD Cam Kit will save you a lot of frustration in losing your alignment if you spend real time off road. If you think you'll ever jump the truck then bite the bullet and buy SVC's bump stop kit with Fox 2.0 IFPs.

1626930328819.png

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Other than looking "salty" I can't imagine why anybody would want a carrier like that on an F-150. As others have said, there's plenty of room for a decent size spare in the stock location.

You can get a 36 gallon fuel tank on an F-150 from the factory so there's not even any good justification for trying to use the factory tire location for extra fuel, like there is on some vehicles with smaller tanks.

Biggest factor is the way such a carrier interferes with trailering, loading stuff in the bed, etc. On a smaller vehicle (Tacoma, 4runner) without a lot of space, people are willing to accept the hassles of the exterior tire carrier despite the challenges. On a full size vehicle they see no need for it.

You observed that the F-150 is the most popular truck in North America (actually I think it's the most popular vehicle, period.) And yet, even as popular as it is, nobody makes a swing out tire carrier bumper - so, doesn't that answer your question right there? The reason nobody makes one is because there's no demand for one.

BTW I'm not aware of a swing-out tire carrier bumper that is available for a Silverado, Ram 1500, Tundra or Titan either, for the same reasons: (a) It's not needed and (b) it prevents you from using the truck as a truck.

skrypj

Other than looking "salty" I can't imagine why anybody would want a carrier like that on an F-150. As others have said, there's plenty of room for a decent size spare in the stock location.

You can get a 36 gallon fuel tank on an F-150 from the factory so there's not even any good justification for trying to use the factory tire location for extra fuel, like there is on some vehicles with smaller tanks.

Biggest factor is the way such a carrier interferes with trailering, loading stuff in the bed, etc. On a smaller vehicle (Tacoma, 4runner) without a lot of space, people are willing to accept the hassles of the exterior tire carrier despite the challenges. On a full size vehicle they see no need for it.

You observed that the F-150 is the most popular truck in North America (actually I think it's the most popular vehicle, period.) And yet, even as popular as it is, nobody makes a swing out tire carrier bumper - so, doesn't that answer your question right there? The reason nobody makes one is because there's no demand for one.

BTW I'm not aware of a swing-out tire carrier bumper that is available for a Silverado, Ram 1500, Tundra or Titan either, for the same reasons: (a) It's not needed and (b) it prevents you from using the truck as a truck.

The only thing I have to say is, people don't make a lot of stuff for the F150. Finding a true set of frame mounted sliders is not easy. I think the one set I found was from ADD and they were like $2200 or something stupid.

There are bumpers but none are all that offroad friendly.

You can get lifts and stuff but the other items are semi rare.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have an old original Wilco that has a cradle fitting up to 37” I believe, and it is great!! Ran it on my F-350 w/ 37” spare, simple swing out, retained hitch- think they should bring it back myself! And no hassles with different bolt patterns, etc so easy to move and use on different trucks- used same one on LR3 for example…

Tell me you've never been to Baja without telling me you've never been to Baja.

Additionally there are multiple swing out options for the F250/350/450 and Ram 2500/3500.

tacollie

Glamper
Fords are not as popular with the off-road crowd. Ram and Toyota seem own that segment. Hence they have aftermarket options for swing away bumps. Personally I like the tire in the stock location.

We have a Wilco swing away for our bike rack and it's a real POS in my opinion. Its heavy and has lots of play in poly bushing. Its a horrible design. I'm going to build something else this fall. I'm sure the OP could get something custom but it'll probably be 9 months and $3000+.

Chunks

As you have found, no one makes a rear swingout bumper for the F-150/Raptor. There are many threads on various forums covering this. I've talked with Expedition One a couple times and they will likely put one out in ~18 months. C4 is ~24 months.

If you haven't already spent the $ look into the HD3 or HD4 Deavers. Additionally 17-18 rear Raptor take offs (or 19+ w/ live wire delete) will give you everything the Fox 2.5 DSC's do but cost less. Alternatively 1g/2g Raptor Icon or King bypasses fit with some work. 1g/2g Raptor Fox bypasses do not fit due to the inner bypass tube placement (they are installed in the photo, pulled them after a 5 mile drive due to rubbing). Icon billet UCAs + SPC Performance 86252 HD Cam Kit will save you a lot of frustration in losing your alignment if you spend real time off road. If you think you'll ever jump the truck then bite the bullet and buy SVC's bump stop kit with Fox 2.0 IFPs.

View attachment 672517

Thanks for the feed back.

I have no intention to jump my truck what-so-ever... Mostly just plodding along on simple to moderate off-road trails. My principle needs are payload, durability, comfort, and duration. The wife and I (no kiddos... yet) plan are planning some trips to North Eastern Canada but most regularly this rig will be our basecamp for hunt trips.

I am convinced on the impractical nature of the bumper now... moving on.

Why do you recommend the HD 3" or 4" ? I already purchased all the suspension bits so that ship has sailed, at least for now. It seems like there are few other items though that may improve reliability, please elaborate.

I saw a post on your setup, its seems like you intent to go fast over the desert. Might be overkill for me at this point, though I could be wrong. Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks for the feed back.

I have no intention to jump my truck what-so-ever... Mostly just plodding along on simple to moderate off-road trails. My principle needs are payload, durability, comfort, and duration. The wife and I (no kiddos... yet) plan are planning some trips to North Eastern Canada but most regularly this rig will be our basecamp for hunt trips.

I am convinced on the impractical nature of the bumper now... moving on.

Why do you recommend the HD 3" or 4" ? I already purchased all the suspension bits so that ship has sailed, at least for now. It seems like there are few other items though that may improve reliability, please elaborate.

I saw a post on your setup, its seems like you intent to go fast over the desert. Might be overkill for me at this point, though I could be wrong. Your insight is appreciated.
The HD3 is "stock height" and just replaces the 3" lift block that comes stock. HD4 provides 1" of lift. Keep it in mind for the next round of upgrades.

Did your vendor coat the Deavers? If not it's worth the effort to do so given your location.

What UCA did you go with?

Chunks

The HD3 is "stock height" and just replaces the 3" lift block that comes stock. HD4 provides 1" of lift. Keep it in mind for the next round of upgrades.

Did your vendor coat the Deavers? If not it's worth the effort to do so given your location.

What UCA did you go with?

Leaf Springs:
F150 Deaver 1" Lift Rear HD Leaf Springs (Deletes Block) L84HD (P/N: DEAL84HD or L84HD)

UCA:
F150 SPC Adjustable Forged Upper Control Arms (P/N: 25680)

1626973839005.png

1626973897806.png

No, I did not request coating on the leafs, but that's a good idea. Do you have a recommendation? I do plan on having some sort of under coating to resist the salt corrosion during the winter...

Attachments

• 1626973737389.png
    1626973737389.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles