2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

StenchRV

@Vance Vanz and @StenchRV

Thanks for the kind words guys! Its all still a work in progress, but i am loving how its all falling together.

Unfortunately, i dont have much advice, actually none, about sources for the subframe in the US.

DDG https://www.ddgoverland.com in BC seems to be doing some amazing work and offering shippable subframes. I have no PERSONAL experience with their stuff, but following their IG and chatting with them a bunch via DM, they definitely know what they are doing.

As for advice, what i would do differently, and what i would change... loaded question... but...

-When discussing needs with builder, stick to your guns and dont let them talk you into things you dont agree with. Example, I did not want my bumper welded to the subframe in any way shape or form. My builder was adamant about doing it and i eventually caved into the idea for time reasons. I am 100% regretting this and the idea of having the rear bumper and the subframe one piece is idiotic and problematic for a whole bunch of reasons.

-Review all aspects of the subframe regarding what has to come out of the bottom of the camper (furnace exhaust, gray water drains, power, etc....) This is also coming back to bite me in the butt. I went over this with my builder, and it was in one ear, out the other basically. I am a big fan of over building things, but the amount of bracing and crossmembers on my subframe are both way overkill, and very much a pain in the ******** for layout. I have had to alter my layout based on where i could get my gray water drain through and where i could get my furnace exhaust through.

-The rear most portion of the frame was warped and bowed upon delivery, and luckily i was able to get some talented friends to fix it properly. They are busy as hell with their fab shops so i knew they didnt have the time to build the thing from scratch, or i would of went that route.

-Id also say, give no more than 1/3 deposit, and no more until 100% completely done and quality checked. I'll be up front, i paid $7k for mine, and with all the headaches its caused me, i feel its worth maybe half that. I'd happily pay $10k+ to have it done proper and for a builder to listen to my experienced opinion rather than try to argue with almost every single thing i said. I was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with no other options though.

-Flex... The springs he put on are not even close to the right rate, this is still some trial and error to correct on my part. I am trying to get it built out more and fully loaded so i have a better baseline to start with.

LONG TERM: Once i get this all dialed in, built and finished, i am eventually going to remove the camper and redo the subframe myself (with help of friends) and fix all the weird stupid issues.

First...GREAT build!
Second...Thank you for your honesty!
Again thank you sharing your knowledge and information with the rest of us, especially those who are following in your footsteps!!!
It will save myself and others problems down the road!

Cheers....my favorite beer is cold....cheap or expensive?

Vance Vanz

Sorry for the delay and thanks so much for getting back to us sooooo quickly. I appreciate it and all of the additional information and insights.

I'm sorry that your subframe isn't execatly what you wanted, especially given the cost. Bummer in many ways.

I admire your ability to keep moving forward with what seems to be a pretty positive attitude. I know for me, I'm already a little frustrated and sometimes get overwhelmed with the amount of hurdles of the build and I'm still in the design phase.

Yes, coordinating the camper layout with the subframe layout is crucial, thanks for the emphasis and reminder. This is the type of stuff that can be easily missed or lost in the shuffle of everything.

Keep charging and thanks again!

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Truly my favorite thread on these pages. I ran into the same issues with subframes. SO I ordered an Aluminum flatbed, which have pretty much been "figured out". Plus I do a lot of backcountry travel doing things like "support" on the White Rim for my bike friends etc, I own bars and restaurants and do some of my own fab, so I need my truck to be a truck sometimes too. Some flatbeds suck, some of them don't. YMMV. Problem is most of the truck body builders mentioned on this forum are out 16-32 weeks. I was able to get an order in to Scott bodies with a four week lead time by calling a bunch of up fitters in the SLC are and asking if they had any company "multiple flatbed" orders I could piggy back onto. Might be worth a try. And your camper will typically ride five inches higher because of the long sills, and you'll need to figure out a spring-mount system. Although there are a few builders that build on a "sill-less" design that ride lower. Sorry to interrupt and keep up the great work!

Alloy

How is the ride/clearance of the Kelderman off road?

Where and what is the min. ground clearance?

How is the overall weight vs. traction.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
How is the ride/clearance of the Kelderman off road?

Where and what is the min. ground clearance?

How is the overall weight vs. traction.

Dont really understand your questions at all.

So far, rides awesome offroad, and will be much better once i get some proper shocks for it.

Minimal ground clearance is ALWAYS going to be the bottom of diffs, on any vehicle, always and forever. Only way to gain ground clearance is tire size. All the suspension lift in the world isn't going to give you any more ground clearance, the diffs are always in the same spot.

I have no idea what ya mean by weight vs traction

Alloy

Dont really understand your questions at all.

So far, rides awesome offroad, and will be much better once i get some proper shocks for it.

Minimal ground clearance is ALWAYS going to be the bottom of diffs, on any vehicle, always and forever. Only way to gain ground clearance is tire size. All the suspension lift in the world isn't going to give you any more ground clearance, the diffs are always in the same spot.

I have no idea what ya mean by weight vs traction

If you been through any river/stream/washouts and found any issues with the Kelderman hitting rocks. Some of the pictures I've seen of the Kelderman make it look like the sway bar / trailing arms are as low/lower than the diff.

When I go off road I've fount it best to load 500-800lbs behind the axle to give the rear tires some some traction but with the weight it will sometimes skate sideways. Just wondering what you've found with yours.

180out

hijacking the conversation but when you weigh over 11k pound's as camperthing and I do 800 pounds anywhere other then the roof ( maybe) ain't going to change a thing. I am personally 16.5K pounds fully loaded with the motor cycle hanging off the back and traction is never a issue.

Alloy

hijacking the conversation but when you weigh over 11k pound's as camperthing and I do 800 pounds anywhere other then the roof ( maybe) ain't going to change a thing. I am personally 16.5K pounds fully loaded with the motor cycle hanging off the back and traction is never a issue.

Thanks. I thought composite boxes are allot lighter than truck campers.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Exactly

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Any updates for June or waiting on parts/adventuring?

A bunch of big life changes (for the better) have limited my free time for a bit.

I've been tinkering on it here and there and done a few quick weekend get aways but nothing exciting.

Free time is starting to become a thing again finally, so ill be working on finishing up the interior

2 of the big highway products storage boxes should be here in the next week or 2, so thats going to be rad and make traveling a bit easier.

Updates soon

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ahh, now I see the reason for the question, I think. Notice how my panel is mounted all the way forward, covering the factory USB ports. I did this to allow the cupholder enough room to slide forward and lock in position.
View attachment 670615

Ahhh…. Gotcha.. thanks..

Mine is going to rest in this general vicinity and keep the USB where they are at.

I just now finished cutting all the plastic nonsense, wow that was an ordeal.

Your photos helped a ton! THANKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior