Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

I haven't seen any soft tops for Wranglers in camo fabric. Is that because nobody would want one?

CamoSoftTop.jpg

Lurker here: As a longbed domestic pickup driver, I’d definitely entertain a rigid hoop framework with substantial “hood” like this one. ?

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I know this is about Land Rovers and Jeeps but on the first page or so there were photos of Jerry can holders that went over the side windows a 110. Does anyone know if they make something similar to go over the rear side windows of an 80 series Land Cruiser?

ChadHahn

Adventurer
And speaking of factory windows, what about half Doors with removable uppers? This was a Land Rover idea that took about 40 years to become a Jeep feature. Series 1 Land Rovers in the 1950's had half doors with removable tops, we didn't get them as a factory option until the 1987 YJ. And even then, Jeep never provided hard uppers or slider windows, both up which were available in the 50's as a Land Rover feature. And even today, Jeep hasn't released half doors for the JL.

HalfDoorTops.jpg

I don't know who made these windows but this is a set of sliding glass removable upper windows I had in my YJ. I bought the windows on their own and after I sold the Jeep (which I regret) I sold the windows seperate.

IMG_4697.JPG

jscherb

Expedition Leader
From the July issue of Land Rover Monthly... no room inside? Put your cooler on the roof rack?

DometicPatrol35a.jpg

It's a Dometic cooler (not fridge):

DometicPatrol35.jpg

A ladder would be a good option to have to help you get a cold drink out of the cooler though.

DometicPatrol35b(1).jpg

I can't tell why the guy on the third vehicle back is on his roof. Standing on Land Rovers is a pretty common thing I guess.

At least the color of the cooler matches the Land Rover (and the recovery tracks) :).
Speaking of standing on Land Rovers, hardly an issue of the Land Rover magazines goes by without a photo of someone standing on their Land Rover...

Standing2.jpg

Standing5.jpg

Standing9.jpg

Standing4.jpg

I often use my Jeep as a vantage point for surveying the scene...

DSC_2380.JPG

Would you stand on your Wrangler fenders? Definitely not on the plastic JK/JL fenders, maybe on TJ fenders? Maybe not.

Standing8.jpg

When I made my fiberglass JK flat fenders I designed them to support a 225-lb. gorilla. A gorilla in stocking feet anyway, don't want to scratch the fiberglass :)

InstalledGorilla.jpg

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Been there, done (some of) that, part 7.

This article was about a Land Rover trip to the Grand Canyon.

GrandCanyon1.jpg

A few years ago I had a magazine assignment to do a story on the Grand Canyon Railway so I did a lot of what they talk about in this article, although I didn't have time to do the trip down to the river.

GrandCanyon2.jpg

GrandCanyon3.jpg

Info on the trail to the river: https://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/grand_canyon/peach_springs_canyon.html

For the magazine assignment I was driving a rented 2wd Cherokee out of Las Vegas and I did do quite a few miles on forest service roads to get photographs of the train in scenic wild settings, but the trail from Peach Springs down to the river was way out of the way for what I needed to do for the magazine so I couldn't do it on that trip. We plan to take that trail in one of our Jeeps and camp at the riverside the next opportunity we get.

My article as published:

GCRyScan.jpg

I'm slowly making my way through all 58 pages had to comment on this. A few years ago we took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Along the way I saw lots of interesting looking forest roads and have been wanting to go back and do some exploring.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm slowly making my way through all 58 pages had to comment on this. A few years ago we took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Along the way I saw lots of interesting looking forest roads and have been wanting to go back and do some exploring.
I haven't ridden the train, but for that article I used the forest service roads to get to remote places to take photos for the article; the photo of the train just below the article title at the upper left in the scan above was taken at the Coconino curve, which is only accessible via the forest roads.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I haven't ridden the train, but for that article I used the forest service roads to get to remote places to take photos for the article; the photo of the train just below the article title at the upper left in the scan above was taken at the Coconino curve, which is only accessible via the forest roads.

I need to pull out my maps but I remember there being a road that followed the train track for quite a distance.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
LOVE the 12-volt slow cooker option! I had no idea they existed. On a long trip, it would be awesome to treat ourselves to a hot slow-cooked meal after setting up camp (especially in the rain, which is often here in BC).

Not sure how well I’d trust the lid (even strapped as shown) on a difficult trail, but for long stretches of FSRs or pavement on longer trip, it would be a treat indeed.

Go to a big truck stop or these days probably just Amazon. There are so many 12v appliances for sale it's amazing.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
A large Bonnet Bag...

HoodBag.jpg

Could be done on a Wrangler but I doubt many people would want one.

This next one seems like it could be useful, and if you really wanted to you could strap it to the hood?

FrontRunnerTransitBag.jpg

The article about HRH's gun carrier being serviced at the Land Rover dealership made me think of the Rowan Atkinson story. I know it wasn't a member of the Royal family taking the car in for service but I was thinking of Prince Philip sitting in the waiting room for his car to get done. Drinking coffee and reading old magazines while people were looking at him thinking, "That guy looks a lot like the prince consort."

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
I’ve been in automotive related jobs for 40 years, 30 at a major manufacture. I’ve worked closely with a number of body engineers from the UK and have never heard the term “catflap”!

A minor thread derail but along the same part name subject.
Does anyone know what part is called the “cat whisker” by almost any GM parts guy I knew in the 70’s and 80’s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles