Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Installed a DIY Lagun style table that I designed using 80/20 hardware. It attaches to two 10 series 80/20 extrusion using a bracket on my Goose Gear cabinets. Its extremely adjustable (Left, right, up, down , in, out) and very well supported. I had some spare plywood I installed on there for quick reference, I may change the table later on down the road.

I was going to just buy a Lagun branded RV table and adapt it to the 80/20 extrusions in my ACCC but I figured this would look better and I wouldn't need to hack up a $200 Lagun table (Although the 80/20 parts were much more expensive ?). I will have a Youtube video posted soon explaining everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 246
Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Nothing documented, that I am aware of. (@rino may know of something though)

I personally just air things out after a trip. If my awning looks dirty, I rinse it.
Pull the Mattress out or at least flip it.

I wash the camper like I wash my truck. I even use the same drying aid on the camper and it gives it a nice new look.
I recommend this stuff - It is like "voodoo magic amazingness" Beadmaker Drying Aid. Spraying it directly on the vehicle is fine, but I have noticed that when I spray it directly on the camper, it seems to attract more dirt/dust where I spray it. I find that doing the entire truck first, and then hitting the camper when I am done is best.
I use beadmaker on the awning bag too, and it works well. If you want to use something that is specific to vinyl and plastics for those pieces, like the awning bag, try something like Aerospace 303 UV protectant.

The thing that I struggle most washing is the chimney (because I am paranoid about water getting inside). I have now avoided it all together when washing, and at the end of the wash, I take my wet microfibers from drying the truck, and just wipe it down.

I really like https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-automotive-protectant/ for all the powdercoated surfaces and awning / shower cube bags. It makes them look like new and really prevents UV fading.

For the fabric of the tent and awn, on all my Alu-Cab kit over the years I just wash them yearly with normal car wash soap and they have held up brilliantly. If you did want to go the extra mile, I would check out the 303 fabric spray offering https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-fabric-guard/ .

For touch up paint we do have an exact match from Alu-Cab, but if in a jam we have found the AEV touch up paint is a spot on match.

cheers,
-Rin

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Sneak peek of a little project coming from the GP Factor crew, a pizza delivery hatch (or window) for the canopy camper side doors. ? Bolts into the existing cup square slots and does not require any cutting of the door bracing for installation. We utilized a Lewmar size 4 portlight versus a traditional "RV" style window, as the quality and feel of these windows is unmatched. Mounting kit should land around $130 and these portlights can be had for $330-$400 depending on color / options.
IMG_8507.jpg
IMG_8505.jpgIMG_8459.jpgIMG_8441.jpgIMG_8429.jpg

C

CDN3.0

Might anyone be able to tell me what size the Anderson Connector on the roof of the Alu Cab Canopy Camper is?

There seems to be several sizes and my camper came with only half a connector pre wired on the roof for solar!

]{ILR]3

Looking to buy a Canopy Camper soon. Nearest dealer is 300 miles so im thinking having it shipped and install myself.
How many have installed themselves? It comes with install documentation right?
I havent found much info online.....

Thanks,

Looking to buy a Canopy Camper soon. Nearest dealer is 300 miles so im thinking having it shipped and install myself.
How many have installed themselves? It comes with install documentation right?
I havent found much info online.....

Thanks,

I only have come across 2 that I can recall doing it, one being @seekoutbeauty who is now a dealer in SOCAL and I don't remember the other. Their is a myriad of PDF instructions on the Alu-Cab website for all the different applications & fitment kits, but I think that is the extent of what would be available to you, though it should be enough if you have access to a winch or forklift to actually set it in place. One of the most important steps IMO is the final sealing of the camper & I don't know how much of that is really provided or covered by Alu-cab. It seems to be let up to the individual dealerships and I have seen varying processes and results. Once again, @seekoutbeauty's operation, Tiny Rig Co. has posted some IG videos of their process and they take it to a high level. You may want to consult with them if possible on this.

]{ILR]3

I only have come across 2 that I can recall doing it, one being @seekoutbeauty who is now a dealer in SOCAL and I don't remember the other. Their is a myriad of PDF instructions on the Alu-Cab website for all the different applications & fitment kits, but I think that is the extent of what would be available to you, though it should be enough if you have access to a winch or forklift to actually set it in place. One of the most important steps IMO is the final sealing of the camper & I don't know how much of that is really provided or covered by Alu-cab. It seems to be let up to the individual dealerships and I have seen varying processes and results. Once again, @seekoutbeauty's operation, Tiny Rig Co. has posted some IG videos of their process and they take it to a high level. You may want to consult with them if possible on this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Following seekoutbeauty here and on IG.

Downloaded PDF files from Alu-Cab for my Tacoma.

blake92242

Selling to focus on buying a home. The truck is a dream and the camper weighs a little under 500 lbs so you cant even feel it when driving around. Please let me know if you have any questions. Below is everything that has been done to the truck. The price is $55k. Located in Montana. Reach out here or via email at blake92242@gmail.com.
View attachment 663688View attachment 663689

-2019 Toyota Tacoma OR (Manual Transmission)
-42k Miles
-Clazzio Black Leather Seat Covers
-TPAM with RAM Mount for Phone
-Rago Fabrication Center Console Molle Panels
-President Bill CB Radio
-S1 Amber Baja Designs Lights
-Rago Fabrication Ditch Light Brackets
-Yota mafia (4) Rock light kit
-SPC UCAs
-OME 2” Lift Heavy fronts and backs
-Grabber X3 285/70/17 Tires (Matching Spare)
-(5) AEV Crestone Dual Sport Wheels
-Off Grid Engineering Red Arc BCDC1225d dual battery kit
-Alucab Canopy Camper (Installed by Mule Expedition Outfitters)
-180W Sunflare Solar panel
-Victron BMV 712 battery monitor with bluetooth
-Victron 75/15 Solar Controller with Bluetooth
-Custom goose gear electrical panel
-Dickinson Marine P-9000 fireplace
-Expedition Essentials propane tank mount and 11 lb propane tank
SOLD

rvrboy

I really like https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-automotive-protectant/ for all the powdercoated surfaces and awning / shower cube bags. It makes them look like new and really prevents UV fading.

For the fabric of the tent and awn, on all my Alu-Cab kit over the years I just wash them yearly with normal car wash soap and they have held up brilliantly. If you did want to go the extra mile, I would check out the 303 fabric spray offering https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-fabric-guard/ .

For touch up paint we do have an exact match from Alu-Cab, but if in a jam we have found the AEV touch up paint is a spot on match.

cheers,
-Rin

I use F11 on my truck and my shadow awn. Really repels water and dirt very well.

All loaded up and heading off to the NMW for a weeks trip. A special thanks to @HudsonZRoamer for my custom cushions. Made with Sunbrella material and they are awesome! They arrived today just in time for my trip (y)
Damn the box cushions look so good! I may swap out mine to a little brighter color as well in the future. You chose an excellent pattern and color for your setup. That Sunbrella canvas you chose is no joke. Hope they last you for many years to come.

Lots of folks over on Jeep Gladiator Forum still complaining about the latches freezing closed. Everyone seems really happy with their AluCab - except for the freezing latches. These four comments are just from one page of the thread (link provided so you can check it out yourself):

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/alu-cab-gladiator-bed-cap.30322/page-27

Steffen707:

Alu-Friends! Man do I hate the locks/handles that came with our Toppers..... One of them I cant even get the key in to lock anymore.
Anybody found any solutions to lube the lock, make the spring more powerful so it opens when cold? 4 out of 6 of mine don't like to open when its cold, and all 6 suffer from moisture freezing in them, so when the weather hovers anywhere near 32 during the day I know I may experience issues.
Its come to the point I don't even latch my rear 2, the gate stays closed (on mine anyway). The rear two froze one day rendering my truck bed unaccessible.... =(
Hope ya'll are doing well. I've got some more updates to do on my truck, hoping to share later this spring/summer.

Rokon:
I'll have to agree on this. I haven't run my Gladiator thru a Maine winter as I've put it up the last two winters. But just thru late fall, early spring I have had issues withe the canopy latches freezing up. I'm sure they work great in Australia but not in freezing weather with precip.
Being a black top it warms up pretty quick in the sun and thaws. I carry a can of deicer spray in the cab. A few blasts frees things up in short order.
I wonder if a rubber flap glued to the cap covering the latch would help any?
It doesn't take much moisture to freeze up the latch though so I dunno.
I like the flush mounting of the latches but it freezes up way to easy.

Coreoski:
I'm up in Michigan and am totally with you guys. Pretty much the first bit of winter precipitation and it wasn't working. Ended up picking up the Alu-Cab Latch Covers because I needed something. They're pricey for what they are and honestly a bit of a pain to actually get to seat completely after use, but they do their job and freezing/rusting hasn't been a problem since. Might take them back off now that it's warming up.
While installing them though I noticed something; if you tighten down the single nut on the inside of the latch assembly too much, the spring won't have enough force to pull the latches out after you press the button. Loosened them up again and it's much better now.
Either way if they came up with a v2 of this push button latch, they'd definitely have my attention!

Blade1668:
It's not just that Alu-Cab that has freezing up problems. I had it on my RLD topper, glad I didn't have to get in bed. S. Africa make some dang fine stuff for dealing with dust and rain but not so much for ice. Dang I really still like them Alu-Cab's, but I'll just have to live with my RLD gen #1 topper for now.

rvrboy

Damn the box cushions look so good! I may swap out mine to a little brighter color as well in the future. You chose an excellent pattern and color for your setup. That Sunbrella canvas you chose is no joke. Hope they last you for many years to come.

Just back late last night, trip report and pics coming soon. . The cushions are a great addition to the camper! I'm looking at the possibility of using small velcro tabs to hold them in place. Thanks again @HudsonZRoamer (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles