"E-bike" mopeds more dangerous than motorcycles?

rruff

Explorer
For one thing, at least in the US, they come from the mfg governed, by law, to a max of about 25 mph.

It's a shame they have to have those silly pedals...

Never understood the point of moped classification. Just make an unlicensed light scooter class with weight, speed, and power restrictions.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist

Never understood the point of moped classification. Just make an unlicensed light scooter class with weight, speed, and power restrictions.
I love that mine has pedals. I don't find them silly at all but quite purposeful. My ebike is not classified as a moped, nor is it a scooter.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have no idea how common it is but I've seen them riding on the wrong side of the street and other stupid stuff. I just hope those idiots aren't in the majority.

Lovetheworld

The pedals are super useful because you still exercise, something that many people need.
Also, I used an electric scooter / moped without pedals for a while, and it completely sucks in colder months. Because you are just sitting there doing nothing getting cold. If the ride is long you can really notice. On a (electric) bicycle it is much better.

Here in Netherlands people are using them more and more. They completely ditch their car and go to work with these things, also in ************ weather.
Much more healthy while saving lots of money.

The ones that go above 25 km / h are in a different class requiring a small license plate and helmet.
The ones below 25 km / h are very common.
Even my mom at 64 took this bicycle to work, so they didnt have to replace the second car (which needed to go because it was worn out) with a new one for the short time up to retirement, after which they didnt need two cars anymore.

But yeah, we have decent cycling infrastructure and cycling is in our culture.

For those mountainbikes I don't get the electrical assist. Isn't the exercise what makes it fun and healthy?
Or are you the kind of guys that don't want to pedal on your bicycle, and at other times take the car to the fitness school to work out because you need exercise.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Not sure what the quible with ebikes is. I almost never use mine in town because people REALLY like stealing them in the city.. Most common use fore is as a shuttle vehicle for day hikes and backpacking on the Colorado plateau. I can usually travel 300% as fast or more over technical terrain than a Jeep. Pedals are great. Battery runs out, you got yourself a mountain bike. One of the best purchases I ever made. And I'm a motorcyclist. Not worrying about a 250lb chunk of metal on a hinky hitch out back is wonderful. Want more range? Buy another battery. If you haven't tried one I suggest you do. Will I be using it to drive to Tierra Del Fuego? Not until we have portable nuclear generators. I'll use my Wr426. But for bopping around camp area they are unbeatable. My bike is 27.5 incher with real components (Rock Shox etc) and a 1500 watt mid drive so I can run it through the gears. It's a friggin blast.

al_burpe

Observer
The pedals are super useful because you still exercise, something that many people need.
Also, I used an electric scooter / moped without pedals for a while, and it completely sucks in colder months. Because you are just sitting there doing nothing getting cold. If the ride is long you can really notice. On a (electric) bicycle it is much better.

Here in Netherlands people are using them more and more. They completely ditch their car and go to work with these things, also in ************ weather.
Much more healthy while saving lots of money.

The ones that go above 25 km / h are in a different class requiring a small license plate and helmet.
The ones below 25 km / h are very common.
Even my mom at 64 took this bicycle to work, so they didnt have to replace the second car (which needed to go because it was worn out) with a new one for the short time up to retirement, after which they didnt need two cars anymore.

But yeah, we have decent cycling infrastructure and cycling is in our culture.

For those mountainbikes I don't get the electrical assist. Isn't the exercise what makes it fun and healthy?
Or are you the kind of guys that don't want to pedal on your bicycle, and at other times take the car to the fitness school to work out because you need exercise.
I got rid of my families second car and bought an e-bike to commute to and from the office. I live in Pennsylvania and even though we don't get a ton of snow riding in winter is interesting. You are correct that pedaling helps keep you warm on the cold days. I normally set it to a lower assist when it is very cold out. It feels like I am cheating at life when I commute on my e-bike. I have fun, I get exercise, I get to be outdoors, and I don't have to show up to the office all sweaty.

For the mountain bikes, I think it helps people that might not otherwise be able to mountain bike get out and actually do it. Mountain biking can be very strenuous, so the e-bike helps people starting from a very low fitness level to be able to ride and ride longer than they otherwise would have. There are more advanced riders that also use them. My guess is that they are able to take on new trails or cram more distance into less time.

Weeds

Adventurer

Do you know what you are talking about? Have you ever ridden an emtb?

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Old guys always begin with; "Back in the day" I was a bicycle road racing type, serious road racing, like riding a hundred plus miles in the Ozark hills 3 times a week for training. I can still ride a bike, not as fast nor as long.

As MTVR pointed out, bicycle riders just don't pay attention, with ear bugs blasting away they can't hear what's coming up from behind and then just cut in front of a driver to save three rotations of the pedals. By the same token, drivers don't pay attention and we have 5 times the traffic we did when I was riding. Just isn't safe to be on major routes in town.

I ride my 1800 Trike in town but still try to stay away from heavy traffic, it is mentally draining to ride safely. I'd have to disagree that an e-bike is more dangerous than a motorcycle, it's not the machine that is so dangerous but the nut behind the handlebars.

I've been looking at e-bikes, I don't hike anymore so riding some trails would be more fun than sitting at camp. They had a few at the Moore Overland expo last weekend and the cheapest was $5K!

I was told the top speed on most e-bikes is 32 mph, that isn't fast enough to be in traffic running at 40 or more mph, but some try and it ticks off drivers causing them to take risks to get around them.

I might justify getting an e-bike after I get the boat in the water, it can be a real hike going from a dock to the local bar, not sure about the return trip to the dock.

yfarm

Observer
At age 68, I walk 5 miles a day and spend an hour a day riding a mtb, while residing in coastal Texas I have never had an encounter with an ebike. In contrast, following the same exercise routine in Key West last year I experienced on a near daily basis reckless riders of ebikes. Having ebike riders approach me from behind ,completely silent, at what I perceived at high rate of speed compared with my pace and pass with no warning. Often on a sidewalk, sometimes on quiet side streets. While I was never injured, the possibility exists. I think its crazy for riders to ride at speeds of 15-20 mph on sidewalks. I have ridden motorcycles since I was 14 yrs old, having owned dirt bikes, sport bikes and cruisers. Bought one of the first commercially available mtbs a Ross in 1985. Am not a risk averse person but agree the lack of training and licensing creates a dangerous situation. Do not believe ebikes should be allowed on sidewalks, ride on the streets with other motorized vehicles, required to observe the same laws. As a courtesy, if you ride around pedestrians or human powered bicycles use a horn or ringer to announce your presence as I do on my mtb around pedestrians.

MOAK

Adventurer
Interesting topic. My 93 year old father-in-law rides one and is having a ball. It’s a whole lot better for him than riding around his neighborhood in a golf cart. I’m curious how the national park/monument system is going to classify them. We were recently in a new NM and there are groomed wide trails all over it. Easily wide enough for bicycles to pass one another. Each entry was posted with- No Motorized Vehicles. E bikes have motors. The resident Ranger had strong opinions about e bikes, but did not know what the policy would be. Thankfully we had the entire monument to ourselves and walked the 6 mile perimeter of the monument encountering no one.

kmacafee

Adventurer
They are not bicycles- bicycles don't have motors. Nor are they motorcycles- motorcycles have no pedals. They are mopeds, because they have a motor AND pedals- that's what the word "moped" means- motor and pedals.

What are you trying to say? All vehicles with two inline wheels are governed by the same principles of operation, and their operators face the same risks on public roads.

Maybe I should ask you (to see if you know) what YOU think is the correct method for effectively and accurately steering a bicycle, moped, or motorcycle. Do you think that you can effectively and accurately steer by pushing the bars in the direction that you intend to turn? By pushing in the opposite direction? By leaning? By weighting the pedals or pegs on one side? By some combination of these things? By some other method? Or do you not know?
Actually, a moped can be driven by the motor only. The pedals are there to get started. An e-bike has to be pedaled.

RoamIt

FWIW- I'm a roadie and typically ride a 2K plus a year. I don't ride on the roads anymore unless it's an organized century or I'm with a large group with lots of flashing lights. And even if it's Sunday morning out on country roads we get cussed out, swerved at, etc.

So when I train alone, I ride the metro trails, My typical pace is much faster than casual riders or walkers etc., So I slow around corners, always call out 'on your left'.

The morons I've encountered on ebikes will blow past me when I'm doing 20mph, and never say a word, it's only a matter of time before they plow into some family spread out on the trail.

I don't think any motorized anything should be on a hiking trail, unless it's a handicap situation. IMO they should be on the road or designated trails.

But as someone else noted, and I've experienced, it's the person-whether in a car or a ebike that is the biggest problem, not the tool.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I have taken an informal survey of "e-bike" moped operators at crash scenes, and have yet to meet one that even knows which direction to push the handlebars to make it turn in the intended direction.

I'm usually holding a beer in one hand and my phone in the other, when I need to turn I just move my butt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles