Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Garrett77

I was just thinking how many of you would be interested if I could get dirtworks to sell a more complete bumper just for our trailers? I can see if he could match my modifications during the build process and sell it with the mounts on it. You would still have to Weld two tabs on the trailer in theory for extra support. I just don't want to bug him if there's only a couple people

trae

Adventurer
I was just thinking how many of you would be interested if I could get dirtworks to sell a more complete bumper just for our trailers? I can see if he could match my modifications during the build process and sell it with the mounts on it. You would still have to Weld two tabs on the trailer in theory for extra support. I just don't want to bug him if there's only a couple people

I think it would depend on the cost of course. Thanks for the offer at least!

Garrett77

I think it would depend on the cost of course. Thanks for the offer at least!

I assume close to his original price as the alterations are not a big change in material or labor.

Basket

mmrocek

Observer
Is that an OVS270? Do you have pics of how you have it mounted?

It's and ARQ270 that I bought about 5 years ago. It is very lightweight compared to the OVS270 but provides great shade and does not require legs when deployed. I have both and I did not want to mess with welding on extra supports for the OVS270 on the trailer, due to it's weight, so I just put the OvS on my excursion.

iamstyr

I assume close to his original price as the alterations are not a big change in material or labor.

Basket

I'd be interested as well.

Garrett77

I just spoke to him and he said he would be fine with modifying it. Sounds like the only thing you would need to do is Weld a tab to the trailer next to the D rings if you wanted to but to be honest as long as you don't put a trailer behind your trailer it should be fine. The stock weight specs for the dring mounts on the trailer and hitch weight should be plenty to hold the bumper.

I'm sending him the specs today so I imagine in the next 2-3 weeks or so you guys could hit him up and order some.

I'll update if I find out anything else.

Catalanbull

I just spoke to him and he said he would be fine with modifying it. Sounds like the only thing you would need to do is Weld a tab to the trailer next to the D rings if you wanted to but to be honest as long as you don't put a trailer behind your trailer it should be fine. The stock weight specs for the dring mounts on the trailer and hitch weight should be plenty to hold the bumper.

I'm sending him the specs today so I imagine in the next 2-3 weeks or so you guys could hit him up and order some.

I'll update if I find out anything else.
That's amazing, thanks Garrett! Looking forward to that. I'll purchase it for sure.

Catalanbull

I've read through all the pages and took alot of info to apply to my new to me scout trailer. This forum is awesome.. I've add OVS 4 person tent and their huge 270 awning. I had to make a Bracket off the front to hold there length.

Added ARK jack front and rear. Front barely lifts the trailer enough but it works with this size tire.

Added a rear bumper with basket based on another user's suggestion. The company dirtworks is 5 minutes from my house and I liked the simple design for adapting it to out trailers. I mounted it using the receiver and d ring mounts. The ark Jack's in the rear swing to different levels and can be tucked underneath or to the side of the box. The side mount blocks the tag but allows for more clearance if needed off road.
How did you mount the ARK Jacks at the back, did you build those brackets?

Garrett77

Not a problem, glad to help.

How did you mount the ARK Jacks at the back, did you build those brackets?

I chopped up the stock mount since it's an odd ball size and you can't buy that size square tubing. Then I welded it all together and painted it. Works good and I can flip them to the opposite sides upside down for more clearence if needed (so handle is towards the wheel and the jack would face straight up).

You can see where I cut the stock mount. Then I cut a 45 out of the remaining stock bracket to add a little support.

Note that most of the metal on this is galvanized and needs to be sanded before Welding. Also Welding galvanized releases harmful gasses so protect yourself accordingly. I held my breath until I almost passed out and then walked away. Similar to safety squinting... all joking aside don't breathe that stuff in.

Attachments

• 20210625_171529.jpg
    20210625_171529.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108

Catalanbull

Not a problem, glad to help.

I chopped up the stock mount since it's an odd ball size and you can't buy that size square tubing. Then I welded it all together and painted it. Works good and I can flip them to the opposite sides upside down for more clearence if needed (so handle is towards the wheel and the jack would face straight up).

You can see where I cut the stock mount. Then I cut a 45 out of the remaining stock bracket to add a little support.

Note that most of the metal on this is galvanized and needs to be sanded before Welding. Also Welding galvanized releases harmful gasses so protect yourself accordingly. I held my breath until I almost passed out and then walked away. Similar to safety squinting... all joking aside don't breathe that stuff in.
Nicely done! That's really cool.

OverlandRookie

For almost $9K I’m having a bunch of little issues with my trailer. I haven’t even brought it on the trail yet. The springs in my silver T-handle locks came out. The tongue box lock can’t be locked since there is too much play and you can wiggle it open (even when it’s locked). I got a replacement for the tongue box lock but same issue. Too much play and won’t secure.

I even had to add spacers to the drawer lock so it would function.

Have any of you had the same issues? Did SB help or did you have to find your own solution? Fabrication? If you buy a Honda Civic, the dealer generally doesn’t say 2 out of 4 door locks isn’t too bad.

Thanks for all the ideas on everyone’s build. There’s a ton of info here.

2d9331be19c3873c3409dfb99d4f5d15.jpg
locked position

853e605833b19700d921dfc6ddbd5a58.jpg
upright locked position
9e237369c69a7d5fe1f30cb4588b8df3.jpg
drawer spacer
161396f37689b1b9527c185383553387.jpg
locked position with lots of play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members