Practical barbecue grill solutions?

troutbum1

Last week I was camping with a couple of friends who all brought their own propane/butane/charcoal sources with them. Since I was cooking for myself I tried out a chimney starter (Weber type) and used a small grate to cook hamburgers, brats, etc. Worked very well if you're cooking for one or two people. Easy to clean up as you just dump the ashes in the fire pit to let them burn out. I also own propane and butane stoves but wanted to try this method out.

Porkchopexpress

OP clearly stated (twice) that he wasn't interested in propane...

Have you seen Nomad Grills?

Not cheap but seem to be rugged and useful.

Recently reviewed in Overland Journal - https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-nomad-grill-and-smoker/
The Nomad Grill might be a winner. Should fit in the generator compartment. I've seen them pop up on targeted advertisements but assumed they were propane. I guess propane suggestions are good for other members browsing with the same question?

D

Deleted member 9101

I was looking at the Traeger Ranger but it would draw from my limited electricity supply.

Some of the pellet grills can run off of 12v and don't draw much. IMHO they are worth it due to the quality of the food and ease of use.

VanWaLife

I cart my OzPig along on some of my trips. It's a firepit / grill / etc. They now make a "traveler" version, but seem to have lost their US distributor. It's a lot to pack around, but is constructed with fire safety in mind.
Then there's always the Weber Smoky Joe. Cheap, replaceable, but really a great grill. Of course hot ash is constantly spilling out the bottom...

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Personally, I prefer grilling over mesquite or oak. Propane is my last choice, and sometimes it's the only choice, which is why I use a grill that works equally well with other fuels.

Porkchopexpress

They probably are, but, you might want to change your thread title to "Practical portable charcoal barbecue grill solutions?" to help focus the thread on what you are looking for. :)
I did a forum search before I posted and didn't see anything for portable grills so I wanted it to be relevant to other users. I don't mind disregarding propane/gas suggestions.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
The nomad grill looks great, but a bit overdone. Guess it is more for travellers with trailers, who dont have to care about additional 28-pound (12 kg) and the size of the luckage.

The classic lotusgrill is the best solution I did see on the market till today: lightweight and capable - you even can use smoke chips and it have good accessoires.: 8,8 Pounds (4kg)

Personally I did go with much less: https://www.braendi-shop.ch/de/A~SB.G01-02

trippin

Fredricksen

I have a well worn 'portable' kettle-style charcoal grill.
BUT the key for me is the accumulated cast iron plates, grates, griddles and pans I have picked up along the way.

When done cooking and things have cooled off.. I toss the parts back in the grill. (Self-contained camp kitchen piñata)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94