Practical barbecue grill solutions?

Porkchopexpress

Does anyone take a charcoal grill with them on the road? I enjoy grilling and am considering the following options:
-Webber go-anywhere, would fit in side the vehicle, (generator compartment) fairly easily but its pretty small.
-PKTX, looks like it could be attached to an exterior ladder or rack and is bigger/nicer. It would also be easy to steal.
-Some campsites have built in fire pits or open grills so I would just need to bring the charcoal and utensils.

Does anyone have a better solution or have experience with the options I listed?
Do many places you camp have rules against charcoal grilling?
Also, I'm not interested in gas grills as I would rather just use the stove top.

Thanks!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Depends what you mean about “place”. In my experience, any place that can be called a place typically allows self contained fire pits and are not specific between wood or charcoal fuel sources. However, there are plenty of spots that aren’t really a place, and they might have “no burn” rules in effect, such as much of Arizona right now, given the current fire danger status.

So it entirely depends on where you want to go. If fire pits are allowed, I like the portable type. HK is a local fab shop that makes a nice set of them in various sizes, and they have a grill attachment: https://www.hkoffroad.com/products/hk-portable-fire-pits

There are dozens like them on Amazon.

blacklbzbeauty

We always have our propane Weber Q along. Use it almost every night for dinner. Works fairly well.
A word of warning on using existing fire pits to grill over. People put all kinds of things in them including trash, plastics, etc. Personally would never cook food over a fire in these.

krick3tt

Adventurer
A rule against charcoal grilling is not the point.
When fire bans are in effect, a flame, whether wood or charcoal are not allowed. Don't burn the place down even if you think your particular type of cooking device is OK. Even if there is a fire ring and the ban is in effect in that area and if a ranger sees it you are in for a hefty fine.
Propane is king in this instance. The fold and go is a great idea.

86scotty

Cynic
Grills are messy. I prefer cooking over the campfire (where/when permitted) or taking something small and light.

Just found this guy this past year and plan to give it a thorough testing next week.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We use one of these and our trailer has a bbq that attaches to the side of it.

817KGktPGnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How many people are you cooking for? The Weber you suggested is about the same size as our bbq that attaches to our trailer and it is good enough for 4 people.

Mind you, I usually just grill the meat, sides are done either on the the stove or in the oven.

516l7dfMQVL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have taken a charcoal grill with me on a few occasions. I usually only take it with me when I do one nighters in the desert and I want to cook something special like a nice steak or some lobster, or both. Two nights it just gets messy and is too much to carry around for what I cook on it when some hot dogs and chilli works just fine. I couldn't tell you what the brand is...I found it in a dumpster by my office a few years ago and brought it home and cleaned it up. It's roughly 18x12x6 and I have used the charcoal brickettes and have used lump coal. It works well but propane or over the fire with a grate is so much easier.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Fire Bans are the norm in the summertime in AZ, it's the latest "Forest Management" cost-cutting tool. In fact, to my knowledge all but one NF in my state is closed. Not just a fire ban, but closed to all activity. I'm sure that remaining NF will announce any minute now because they don't want to be left out.

anyway, as has been said, propane is king during a fire ban. Personally, I have a Camp Chef propane fire pit that I just use for campfire action. I have a Volcano 3 for cooking, https://volcanogrills.com/product/volcano-3-collapsible-grill-stove/

The Volcano 3 is a tri-fuel grill, so when the bans are in effect, you can fall back on propane (where allowed). Otherwise, wood or charcoal is fine. If I cannot use the grill outside, then I have a griddle I can use inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles