Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

McDowra

Observer
I actually got the same OVS 270 awning as an upgrade to my ARQ270 that is on the trailer. Mainly because of the addition of walls. But when I received it, I realized that there is no way the trailer stock arms will hold that kind of weight, especially extended w/o support (as the awning is capable of.) So I kept the ARQ270 on the trailer, about 1/4th of the weight, and slapped the OVS 270 on the Excursion. You don't have much weight up top, yet, but I wonder how well it would handle with an RTT while rock crawling. Also, the jack handles hanging like that don't hit any objects while you're out on the rocks?
Usually take the jacks off the rear if there is any serious off roading to be done, that day was an all forest service road day so no problem. I made a new mount for the 270 awningas you can see, I agree the stock awning mount wouldn't have liked that awning at all. When we had the roof top tent on it I never had any problems with it being top heavy but I don't rock crawl much, around here in Alabama it more mud bogs.

jarrodreno

I've read through all the pages and took alot of info to apply to my new to me scout trailer. This forum is awesome.. I've add OVS 4 person tent and their huge 270 awning. I had to make a Bracket off the front to hold there length.

Added ARK jack front and rear. Front barely lifts the trailer enough but it works with this size tire.

Added a rear bumper with basket based on another user's suggestion. The company dirtworks is 5 minutes from my house and I liked the simple design for adapting it to out trailers. I mounted it using the receiver and d ring mounts. The ark Jack's in the rear swing to different levels and can be tucked underneath or to the side of the box. The side mount blocks the tag but allows for more clearance if needed off road.

Love the bumper! I’m currently fabbing one up but if I knew about those I would just grabbed one! ?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
5aac4a75fd3ff28f70b30a81bed5c30f.jpg

241626b8ac285b82c07bc4f0d033f11f.jpg

58a24f2f25a69c4cb6f2b1d5827c7c51.jpg

Doing some things, maybe some stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

410a5b625b83ec9cbfdb1c613b0fe4fa.jpg

6e388ca1ebf27bf1d3778e52ce01154c.jpg

d2e1c1c31282ff0a751db4c43cc6aea5.jpg

Last edited:

iamstyr

A couple months ago, I had someone break into my trailer on the street and steal some gear (including the stock jacks, which @Garrett77 was kind enough to help me replace). Looks they tried to drill out the side lock, then pried the door open with a pry bar levered on the tent mount.

There's some damage to the left side door (stove compartment), and damage to the lock on the stove door and the front box. Now I'm looking to fix it up, but I'm honestly not quite sure who to ask / where to go. Local indy shop? RV/trailer shop?

I can swap out some locks, but I'm not sure how to keep the same locks/keys as the rest of the trailer locks. Or is it even worth it? What about upgrading the stock locks on the trailer doors? Has anyone upgraded the stock locks on their trailers? Could use some good solutions/thoughts/ideas on that direction. Obviously leaving it on the street isn't the plan, but when I'm traveling through a city with it, it would be good to feel like it's secure.

Attachments

• trailer_side_breakin.jpg
    trailer_side_breakin.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • trailer-side-lock-breakin.jpg
    trailer-side-lock-breakin.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
A couple months ago, I had someone break into my trailer on the street and steal some gear (including the stock jacks, which @Garrett77 was kind enough to help me replace). Looks they tried to drill out the side lock, then pried the door open with a pry bar levered on the tent mount.

There's some damage to the left side door (stove compartment), and damage to the lock on the stove door and the front box. Now I'm looking to fix it up, but I'm honestly not quite sure who to ask / where to go. Local indy shop? RV/trailer shop?

I can swap out some locks, but I'm not sure how to keep the same locks/keys as the rest of the trailer locks. Or is it even worth it? What about upgrading the stock locks on the trailer doors? Has anyone upgraded the stock locks on their trailers? Could use some good solutions/thoughts/ideas on that direction. Obviously leaving it on the street isn't the plan, but when I'm traveling through a city with it, it would be good to feel like it's secure.

Reach out to smitty first and see if they have replacement doors maybe

The locks are Richelieu E series which was a pain to track down but glad to help

Is there lock pins available for the jacks?

jarrodreno

recent additions... 30 gal water tank (it’s now closed up which makes a shelf for our grill)Hot water heater, mount for OVS awning and fold down counter on the kitchen side (ignore the nasty pollen ?)

And hopefully finish up the swing out bumper this weekend! AFF7D31C-BD5B-4BBD-A7F1-531F9C12137B.jpeg9F660E55-738C-4F98-A838-D1ECC3F15194.jpeg

46925DCE-D25D-417C-82C9-D0ABE22A3B62.jpegAA6ACDC1-34CB-4C86-8BFC-C0BEA7724A96.jpegF87C841A-8638-4614-8420-9F9A599D9B6E.jpeg

iamstyr

The locks are Richelieu E series which was a pain to track down but glad to help

Thanks for the name of the lock part! Looks like I’ll try and track these down first. I’ve also been sketching out some plans for some sort of stronger door bar across the outside as well, maybe with an extra padlock or something like that — just to make an extra show of security.

ebrabaek

Adventurer

Pau Hana

The Smittybilt replacement parts list is posted on Page 189. Looks like replacement doors are available.

trae

Adventurer
I've read through all the pages and took alot of info to apply to my new to me scout trailer. This forum is awesome.. I've add OVS 4 person tent and their huge 270 awning. I had to make a Bracket off the front to hold there length.

Added ARK jack front and rear. Front barely lifts the trailer enough but it works with this size tire.

Added a rear bumper with basket based on another user's suggestion. The company dirtworks is 5 minutes from my house and I liked the simple design for adapting it to out trailers. I mounted it using the receiver and d ring mounts. The ark Jack's in the rear swing to different levels and can be tucked underneath or to the side of the box. The side mount blocks the tag but allows for more clearance if needed off road.

Is the dirt works bumper a simple bolt on or did you have to do some fabrication?

Hebs

Went up to northern AZ (Sedona) to do the annual Broken Arrow, Soldiers Pass and Schnebly Hill trails day. Here are some photos of my trailer setup. The yellow top storage box is where my ARB Elements fridge usually sits, but a friend is using it right now. Am I the only one that never uses the trailer stabilization jacks?

View attachment 659079

View attachment 659080

View attachment 659081
Is that an OVS270? Do you have pics of how you have it mounted?

Garrett77

Is the dirt works bumper a simple bolt on or did you have to do some fabrication?

Nope not a direct bolt on but it's as easy as it gets if you had to pay someone to fab the Brackets. I can imagine someone charging much at all. The great thing is he hand makes each bumper so you can buy it without the jeep Brackets saving time not having to cut them off. It took me a full day to do the bumpers and rear jacks from unboxing to painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles