Expedition Sandals

fnjeep314

Observer
Sorry I was going for a WTH/****** with the thread title because it seems like everything is "expedition" lately.

I was recently was on the hunt for some sandals for the summer to camp and swim with, do some hiking, etc. I've had Chaco's and got rid of them because they were so heavy, had a couple different pair of Tevas and they were pretty decent. This time I wanted to try something different.

I read a bunch of reviews and one brand that came up again and again for comfort and grip and durability was Bedrock Cairin sandals. A little on the pricey side but not too bad. I bought the Pro with the 3D foot bed. I've had them a week and already been to the beach, in and out of the water, and just daily wear. They have been quite good and comfortable.

This is my short experience with this, but has anyone else worn these or have long term experience?

Bedrock Sandals

RDinNHand AZ

I don’t like the feeling of walking on wet feet so I have two pairs of Jesus slipers. Timberlands on the dry and Tevas for wet. I change over after a wet crossing ASAP

The Timberland's let me walk miles and have a nice soft foot bed that seems easy to clean. The Tevas are fine but I catch my toe and bend the front under once in a while.

Jupiter58

I searched 5 years ago to find a good trekking sandal. Closed toe, comfort and excellent grip were requirements.
At the time ahnu was the tops but apparently they got bought by teva and offer nothing comparable. If you like this style I am sure others make them.
3c3ec6c4247fd9eacc3a87cae11d527e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
I understand the need for freedom, but wearing sandals or any shoe that expose your feet to trail dangers seems to me to be a mistake. Cactus, rocks, branches and the like are a problem that needs a good hiding boot or shoe. I am at a loss to think how this mode of transportation is good for the feet.
Wearing footwear that allows drainage at the beach is extremely logical considering the debris that lies under the sand.

jgaz

Adventurer
I’m using the Z Trail model of this companies sandals as a camp shoe on backpacking trips.
Was looking for something way lighter than my Chacos.
Bought a pair of Z Trails for $39. I like the sandal but love the weight decrease.

Might check out some of their shoes. As some have said there is merit to toe protection.

fnjeep314

Observer
I’m using the Z Trail model of this companies sandals as a camp shoe on backpacking trips.
Was looking for something way lighter than my Chacos.
Bought a pair of Z Trails for $39. I like the sandal but love the weight decrease.

Might check out some of their shoes. As some have said there is merit to toe protection.
I liked the Chaco's but my legs were worn out by the end of the day lugging those things around. I feel like they got heavier when they got wet, so they sat in the back of my closet for about a year and I sold them. Ive been looking at the Xero sandals before, guess I will need to check them out again.

pluton

Adventurer
I understand the need for freedom, but wearing sandals or any shoe that expose your feet to trail dangers seems to me to be a mistake. Cactus, rocks, branches and the like are a problem that needs a good hiding boot or shoe. I am at a loss to think how this mode of transportation is good for the feet.
Wearing footwear that allows drainage at the beach is extremely logical considering the debris that lies under the sand.
Yeah, hiking and sandals never went together for me. What about the little pebbles and other small debris that show up under your feet about every 10 feet? Just keep stopping and shaking them out?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Rookies.........

There is only one true "Expo" sandal and it's the legendary Reef "Bottle opener sandal".......light weight, multi-purpose, khaki colors, etc........they have "served" me well over the years. Cheers.

View attachment 668211View attachment 668212View attachment 668213

Forgot the Pro/Safety Tip: Do not let your buddy try to open their beer while wearing then.......they will ALWAYS splash beer between your toes......just sayin. Cheers.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I live by the beach so am either barefoot or in sandals just about every day of the year. My go to sandals are Freewaters

I have used the tallboy sandals for many years and they are more supportive than rainbows or even the classic reef sandals. Both of those are great sandals and I have had many pairs but the freewaters are by far better IMO.

They even make a regular sandal/jesus sandal slipper hybrid so you don't look like a total kook. Best thing about the freewaters is that they last much longer than any other sandal I have used and they are far more comfortable. Wearing them every day, the rainbows get worn out and the reefs usually rip the piece that goes in between your toes after a year or they usually start to smell after a while. My current freewaters sandals are going to get retired here after 2+ years of constant use as soon as my new pair show up. Only replacing them because I was moving this last weekend and set down a heavy piece of furniture on the corner of it and took a chunk out when I pulled it out from underneath.

And yes I use them even when I am in the desert or go on any overland trips.

12/10 recommend.

4000lbsOfGoat

I've been wearing Olukai boat shoes for a while and I'm really happy with them. Very lightweight, breathable, full foot coverage and fast drying. Comfortable in town or in the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles