Which maps do you use in Gaia?

Photobug

I have downloaded a bunch of maps to cover the entire group of Western States. I have downloaded really a stupid amount of maps. When I browse through them they all seem to offer a slightly different view, with each offering something. Still, I would like to get rid of the excess maps.

I feel the following add a layer of good info.

MVUM
US State and County Borders
Public Land (US)
USFS Recreation Sites.

What other maps should I concentrate on? Which maps are the best for?

Satellite Imagery
Roads/Highways
Backroads

For me in the west, I've found the USFS 2016, USFS Roads and Trails, and USFS Visitor maps cover things pretty well for most of the areas we're in. They do overlap outside the boundaries of the National Forest a bit, but there are times on state land or ?? where you have to find others.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The regular old Gaia Topo usually with the USFS 2016 turned on. Living in the desert with BLM land all around that's the best option I find. Gaia's map pulls in OSM data, which is usually about as accurate as anything.

roving1

They have really done a good job at updated the Gaia topo layer. I find now it almost always has the most info now compared to other layers and the light data footprint it has cannot be beat.

I like the US topo layer as it has a lot of nuggets on there that other maps don't and the secondary roads are often labeled with names much better than other maps. Huge data size though.

I would love to be close enough to a regular cool stomping ground to make use of the historical topo layers but it's just too much to blanket download for whole regions.

Thr nat geo layer really great for getting a sense of national parks and monuments and a good over view of hiking trails.

pluton

Adventurer
Gaia Topo underwent a major improvement a while back...maybe 1.5 to 2 years or so...and now is extremely useful. I like the ESRI enhanced USGS 7.5 maps also.

DaveInDenver

Do you have to import the ESRI maps into Gaia? Do you have a link on how to do so?
I'm curious, too. The only thing I can remember Gaia using from ESRI was their shaded relief overlay and that's been a few years ago. There could be unknown subscriber layers, though.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I tend to switch layers depending on what I am looking at. Currently I am working on a road-trip through Colorado and Utah, so I have Sat with Labels, USFS Rec Sites, GAIA Streets.

When I go offroad I will layer MVUM, USFS Classic, GAIA Topo and will alternate with these and a few others like the USGS Topo, USFS Classic, or US Topo.

It took me a while to get into GAIA mapping, but of all the free versions I've tried, this works the best for me. Now I have a subscription :)

p.s. - my biggest complaint is how difficult it is to edit a route. I'm working on a huge 2k mile route and I really don't want to re-draw it just to modify the route. Grrrrrrrr.

Photobug

So I probably have too many map options but it looks as I thought, each and every map offers something possibly not available on another map and you need more than just one or two. Still, my total download for the western US took 30+GB and two days to download.

pluton

Adventurer
Do you have to import the ESRI maps into Gaia? Do you have a link on how to do so?
I use Gaia on the phone ($20 subscription level) to see where I am on the map, mark waypoints, and very occasionally record a track if hiking in an unfamiliar area. I occasionally look at their maps on the home computer, but have only rarely created routes.
To download a map: On the phone with any map displayed, there's a icon that looks like a stack of papers---that's Map Sources. Pick a map, set the area needed, and push the 'plus' icon to download maps. Go get a snack, it may take a while.

Hope this helps...

DaveInDenver

I use Gaia on the phone ($20 subscription level) to see where I am on the map, mark waypoints, and very occasionally record a track if hiking in an unfamiliar area. I occasionally look at their maps on the home computer, but have only rarely created routes.
To download a map: On the phone with any map displayed, there's a icon that looks like a stack of papers---that's Map Sources. Pick a map, set the area needed, and push the 'plus' icon to download maps. Go get a snack, it may take a while.

Hope this helps...
Running Gaia isn't the issue, I was curious specifically which ESRI maps you use and think @Photobug may have been as well.

grizzlypath

USA, Northwest

General use:
>USFS Recreation Sites
>Public Land
>Private Land
>MVUM (USFS)
>USFS Roads and Trails
>Gaia Topo (feet)

Imported via url:
*Google Earth
*Google Terrain

When I download for offline use:
>Gaia Topo (feet)
>USFS Roads and Trails
>Private Land (depending on where)
>Google Earth (depending on size of area)

pluton

Adventurer
Running Gaia isn't the issue, I was curious specifically which ESRI maps you use and think @Photobug may have been as well.
The one called "USGS Topo, ©ESRI and USGS".
It's the only map on the $20/year map sources list mentioning ESRI in the title.
They appear to be at somewhat lower resolution than the plain USGS 24K topos on Gaia, but have a vector-like effect (probably the terrain shading at work) that makes them easier to use if zooming in and out a lot.

DaveInDenver

The one called "USGS Topo, ©ESRI and USGS".
It's the only map on the $20/year map sources list mentioning ESRI in the title.
They appear to be at somewhat lower resolution than the plain USGS 24K topos on Gaia, but have a vector-like effect (probably the terrain shading at work) that makes them easier to use if zooming in and out a lot.
It's interesting in the details. Gaia ended (or had ended, not sure who initiated it) their 3rd party license with CalTopo in January of this year and seems to have stopped using ESRI in March. So they seem to be building maps internally and only using OSM or government external data. If you like ESRI's shaded relief (I have not compared it personally to Gaia, there may be no difference) then you may not want to re-sync your maps I guess is what that means.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 5.29.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 5.41.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 5.55.00 AM.png

Last edited:

Cathleen Shea

I've not used Gaia, only Backcountry Navigator... which has pointed out many ruins and hours of fun bushwhacking the Oregon desert to get to them. My only gripe is the periodic loss of data, even with a clear view of the sky.

How does Gaia perform when far off the blacktop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier