Why does no one use a high truck shell?

roving1

Funny enough I would have had a high shell topper for my truck if I could have found one. I bought my truck on a trip out West and needed to use it right away. I could not find a simple aluminum regular or high topped any kind of top in a 48 hour search including Vegas, LA, and Phoenix as a search area. This was years before COVID too.

Every retailer needed an order and months and months to deliver. NOTHING in stock in a 600 mile radius.

I don't know why but the used market was non-existent for metal regular or contractor caps for the time I had to look.

The used fiberglass ones which look nice, but which I don't really care that they looked nice, were still selling for 3-4-5 grand which is crazy for what they were.

So I wound up with a bed rack and an RTT which I hate certain aspects of. But I was able to rock up to a place and buy and install it in the same day.

So long story short is probably availability and cost, which for some of the new stuff is insane.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

They look goofy but the extra height is nice. When I mentioned I had snagged one and that I could use help setting it on my younger brother commented "I didn't think you were that old"

I didn't set out to get one but when one popped up after 6 months of searching although it was a bit goofy looking I jumped on it. Longbed Ranger toppers don't exactly grow on trees. Hard to go wrong for $40, I was kinda wanting to embrace the goofy retro and maybe get one with windows in the top too but I never crossed paths with one, mine does have a weird combo of round and angled elements at the back in the roof.

Tag says 20th Century which I wonder if they changed to just "Century"

Last edited:

roving1

I didn't set out to get one but when one popped up after 6 months of searching although it was a bit goofy looking I jumped on it. Hard to go wrong for $40 anyway.

That really is the most frustrating thing about searching used truck caps. Search for ever and...nothing...nothing...too expensive...too beat up...and then blammo! Something perfect for less than a tank of gas but you have to go scoop it up immediately or it slips into the ether LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

That really is the most frustrating thing about searching used truck caps. Search for ever and...nothing...nothing...too expensive...too beat up...and then blammo! Something perfect for less than a tank of gas but you have to go scoop it up immediately or it slips into the ether LOL.

For me it is kind of a double edged sword. Longbeds are not common so the market is flooded with toppers for a 6' bed, your normal std cab shortbox Rangers and extended cab Rangers both use the same bed/topper so that stuff grows on trees.

So the pool for longbed stuff is small. Which also means if one comes up... I am about the only guy looking for it.

It took me 15 years to dig up a nice straight/solid bed lol

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
a lot of trucks where I live with shells on them have a RTT on top of the shell for some reason.... Maybe not popular because a RTT would look weird? Maybe you don't get all those cool overlander instagram likes with a high shell? If you have a shell without a RTT are you even overlanding bro??

I had a shell on my 98 F150 in my avatar and loved it. great for camping and I used it all of the time. If I ever get a shell again it will 100% be a high topper no questions asked.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For me it is kind of a double edged sword. Longbeds are not common so the market is flooded with toppers for a 6' bed, your normal std cab shortbox Rangers and extended cab Rangers both use the same bed/topper so that stuff grows on trees.

So the pool for longbed stuff is small. Which also means if one comes up... I am about the only guy looking for it.

It took me 15 years to dig up a nice straight/solid bed lol

I am running into that issue as well on a modern long bed. Very little out there new for the 8ft beds and almost unobtanium on the secondary market.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I've had both a high-topper and standard-height topper on my Nissan Titan and the high-topper was way more functional for hauling but as previously mentioned couldn't get into garages. My wife and kids said both were for an old-man which suits me fine. I recently removed the high-topper to have the truck painted for when I give it to my son and he requested that it not go back on so I sold it for beer money. Win-win for me.

Cheers

sdsyver

I have an old F250 that I want to convert to an overland rig. I am considering one of the high rise camper shells, like the Leer 122 or the ARE TW. I see almost no one using those taller shells. Why is that?

Take a look at Topper EZ Lift. Electric jacks that lift the shell up. They have a tent attachment as well. A friend has this set up. Super slick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

d27d9a5c06c1941d9ad06cda21bb30b1.jpg

Love my raised camper shell! So much room inside. Mountain bikes fit without taking wheels off! Aluminum shell with side window/doors. Great expedition platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deserteagle56

Adventurer
If you are serious about getting a camper shell, go with Caravan Campers out of Reno, Nevada. They will custom build a shell to YOUR specifications. These things last forever - I see them on Highway Patrol pickups, brand inspector vehicles, Forest Service vehicles, etc. I had them custom build one for my Powerstroke.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If you are serious about getting a camper shell, go with Caravan Campers out of Reno, Nevada. They will custom build a shell to YOUR specifications. These things last forever - I see them on Highway Patrol pickups, brand inspector vehicles, Forest Service vehicles, etc. I had them custom build one for my Powerstroke.

They are currently at the top of my list.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
d27d9a5c06c1941d9ad06cda21bb30b1.jpg

Love my raised camper shell! So much room inside. Mountain bikes fit without taking wheels off! Aluminum shell with side window/doors. Great expedition platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love this one... what brand/model is it? I have a black CC 6.5ft bed F150, that cap would look NICE on my truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94