Charging a Jackery with a Renogy Solar suitcase

Mfitz

I bought a Renogy Solar Suitcase recently to provide another source of charging for my trailer system, which already has roof mounted panels.

I also have a Jackery 500, which I bought a while back for separate uses, and will most often be able to charge it off 110v at home or through my truck's power ports. I was thinking, though, it might be useful at some point to be able to charge the Jackery off the solar suitcase- just another way of combining mobile tools. I emailed Jackery and they replied the following:

"Jackery solar panel output is 18V, port size is 8mm. If it meets the requirements of our power station, then you can use your solar panel to recharge it."

I am not really sure what this means, can anybody help me close the gap here?

Mfitz

Ok, I did some internet searching and here is what I came up with. I can use my current Renogy solar suitcase to charge the Jackery with a third party cable that has solar inputs on one end and the 8mm DC input on the other. I need to bypass the Renogy's charge controller, which is easy given that Renogy now uses connectors between the panel junction box and the charge controller.

I am aware that the Jackery charges really slowly through solar inputs, as it does through the truck's 12v input. This just gives me a little bit more flexibility when choosing my charge strategy.

Mfitz

I haven't charged it with solar yet, but one of the more common criticisms of this unit is that it is slow to charge. This isn't a problem for me given my uses, and I think the newer ones are faster. If I needed a unit for longer term use and recharge through solar or car jack every day I would have invested in a more sophisticated unit, a larger unit, or a DIY project. None of that was necessary for my intended use.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I went with another brand because for me it was all about the charging speed only having limited sunlight hours, From flat mine are done in about 4.5 hours, no mater if I use AC or a Cigar socket or 100/120w solar panel.

OllieChristopher

I went with another brand because for me it was all about the charging speed only having limited sunlight hours, From flat mine are done in about 4.5 hours, no mater if I use AC or a Cigar socket or 100/120w solar panel.

Those PLB 40's are really hard to beat. Only reason I went with the Jackery was my budget. I really don't see anything much better than the PLB 40 with comparable features and durability.

Mfitz

Plug it into my 12 volt socket.
So you take current from the truck's 12v socket, convert it to 110v, then send it back to the battery pack. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just send 12v from the socket straight to the battery pack, save the losses from conversion? You can only provide what the truck's 12v socket can give, converting to 110 doesn't make the current any stronger. Maybe I am wrong here

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Those PLB 40's are really hard to beat. Only reason I went with the Jackery was my budget. I really don't see anything much better than the PLB 40 with comparable features and durability.
The PLB's are great if you want to run a fridge or charge phones and tablets etc, I was thinking of buying the PowerOak/Bluetti eb70 which is their 1000w version but again the Charge times are a bit long where as the PLB's take about 4.5 hours from being flat, Without running huge panels or driving for 10 to 12 hours a day the PBL seems to be one of the best when it comes to charging,

Another good one is the PowerOak/Bluetti AC50s it's had some good reviews on YT.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So you take current from the truck's 12v socket, convert it to 110v, then send it back to the battery pack. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just send 12v from the socket straight to the battery pack, save the losses from conversion? You can only provide what the truck's 12v socket can give, converting to 110 doesn't make the current any stronger. Maybe I am wrong here
No because the Jackery takes too long to Charge via a 12v Socket, but by using the 12v socket to power a small inverter you can charge the Jackery in half the time.

Mfitz

No because the Jackery takes too long to Charge via a 12v Socket, but by using the 12v socket to power a small inverter you can charge the Jackery in half the time.
Ok, good to know. The Jackery must take current at a higher rate when coming from 110v than from 12v. I have an inverter in my truck so I'll experiment with that instead of the 12v plug. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles