Let's Talk About DIY Trailer Builds - Axle-Less Trailer Suspension

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Let's talk trailer builds.

We're grateful to work with a wide range of trailer manufacturers that run our Axle-Less Suspension. But, we're also huge fans of DIY trailer builds and stoked to chat more about them here! With an increase in DIY trailer builds, there are so many we have seen, not one the same from another. Some teardrop style, some box style, some flatbed toy hauler style. If you're doing a DIY build, and using an existing platform typically you'll be stuck with an axle and leaf springs. If you're starting from scratch with just some tubing & parts, you'll have the choice of deciding what sort of suspension you want to install. We're here to tell you regardless if you use an existing platform or starting from scratch, our Axle-Less Trailer Suspension can be installed.

Let's chat about the pros, install and we will share some photos of DIY builds that have been submitted to us in 2020!

For those unfamiliar with Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension, here is a quick "catch you up to speed":
" This award-winning product turns the traditional idea of trailer suspensions on its head. The most exciting feature about the Axle-Less suspension is the fact that it requires no axle! Think about the possibilities. Imagine the freedom to go anywhere – without the usual restrictions of an axle. Experience a smooth, quiet ride made possible with Timbren’s rubber spring technology."

Featuring:
- Maximize Ground Clearance
- Progressive Jounce Spring
- Rebound Spring For Constant Tension
- Easy Bolt-On Installation
- Urethane Bushings For Quiet Operation
- Made of Steel Components

Check it our for yourself:

Social: https://www.instagram.com/timbren_industries/
Site: https://timbren.com/axle-less/

So, let's see those DIY builds! Whether it has an axle, torsion or our Axle-Less we want to see it. Post a pic below and let's talk!

timbren-review-2020.jpgFullSizeRender-7.jpgFullSizeRender-6.jpgFullSizeRender-5.jpgFullSizeRender-4.jpgFullSizeRender-3.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
You had me at "Timbren"

I have been design-noodling for a while, thinking of a "modular" approach, goal being a single trailer "chassis base" that can carry a

(total GVW) 12000# 30-32 foot LOA full keel boat

removable lightweight "living pod" cum toy carrier box, maybe even a RAV4 rolled up inside

flat bed module with a removable water tank, carry a big genset

or utility tray for soil, gravel whatever

stretch goal, a 20' connex empty.

Note needs to work well on rough unpaved even offroad, BLM / forestry trails etc. But not at high speeds

_______
Thinking the "suspension core" chassis frame not much longer than the width of the largest possible diameter tires (x2 tandem 7000# units) +clearance

lowest possible floor beams for supporting the above "special purpose" chassis frame options, dictated by the need for lowest possible vertical CoG for the tall heavy full keel boat. To be by default lower for sure than the Timbren mounting plate, ideally can be raised for clearance when off road.

not integrating the A-frame + forward center beams with the suspension core but with the special purpose chassis frames, so overall length will vary depending on mode

and placement of the wheels lengthwise varies with that mode's weight distribution

Need to fit easily disassembled in a 20' connex for international relocation, as compactly as possible for other household items / tool boxen etc

As light as possible within strength requirements, thinking aluminum, at least for the special purpose modules, anti-galvanic layer where meets the steel.

Maybe all aluminum, boat getting self launched wherever possible, sometimes 100's of miles from any boatyard.

Yes, ambitious I know.

Remy1974

Damn. Was hoping this thread got more traction. I’m digging that trailer behind the Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

You had me at "Timbren"

I have been design-noodling for a while, thinking of a "modular" approach, goal being a single trailer "chassis base" that can carry a

(total GVW) 12000# 30-32 foot LOA full keel boat

removable lightweight "living pod" cum toy carrier box, maybe even a RAV4 rolled up inside

flat bed module with a removable water tank, carry a big genset

or utility tray for soil, gravel whatever

stretch goal, a 20' connex empty.

Note needs to work well on rough unpaved even offroad, BLM / forestry trails etc. But not at high speeds

_______
Thinking the "suspension core" chassis frame not much longer than the width of the largest possible diameter tires (x2 tandem 7000# units) +clearance

lowest possible floor beams for supporting the above "special purpose" chassis frame options, dictated by the need for lowest possible vertical CoG for the tall heavy full keel boat. To be by default lower for sure than the Timbren mounting plate, ideally can be raised for clearance when off road.

not integrating the A-frame + forward center beams with the suspension core but with the special purpose chassis frames, so overall length will vary depending on mode

and placement of the wheels lengthwise varies with that mode's weight distribution

Need to fit easily disassembled in a 20' connex for international relocation, as compactly as possible for other household items / tool boxen etc

As light as possible within strength requirements, thinking aluminum, at least for the special purpose modules, anti-galvanic layer where meets the steel.

Maybe all aluminum, boat getting self launched wherever possible, sometimes 100's of miles from any boatyard.

Yes, ambitious I know.
I'm thinking 2 or 3 trailers would work better, maybe even be cheaper when considering what to do with the box, camper, boat when the trailer gets repurposed. And how do you load the camper, boat, deck, genset, water tank into a shipping container for the international relocation. And weight, if you have a deck you need a frame, if you remove the camper it needs its own frame. All you need to do is put an axle under the camper and you have 2 trailers.

dyakovly

Let me be first with my DIY trailer and Timbren silent ride. I used 3500 Dexter Axle with 10" brakes and 3500 lbs silent ride suspension. When I started build of this trailer, I couldn’t find any builds with this type of suspension and for me it was all experimental. So far 3000 miles and let me tell you, I’m really impressed with phenomenal highway ride and it is absolutely silent on the trail. I would like to see if anybody else used this type suspension.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
I'm thinking 2 or 3 trailers would work better

Not for me, design elegance and minimalism much more important than trying for cheap.

Boat gets sea-transported on its own if not just sailed where it needs to go.

Multiple living pods, turned into stationary tiny homes. Water tanks, gravel box not worth taking overseas, easy to pick up or make there if needed.

Living pod shell itself very cheap, appliances, fittings and tech infrastructure, designed to easily remove and take along when shell left behind.

Framing for stationary use does not need to be as robust as the mobile total, hence the modular approach, pod slides within the exo frame, independent of lifting roof rack.

Without the trailer frame, say just sitting on a flatbed, pod would be likely too weak, think Foamy style super lightweight.

billiebob

Let me be first with my DIY trailer and Timbren silent ride. I used 3500 Dexter Axle with 10" brakes and 3500 lbs silent ride suspension. When I started build of this trailer, I couldn’t find any builds with this type of suspension and for me it was all experimental. So far 3000 miles and let me tell you, I’m really impressed with phenomenal highway ride and it is absolutely silent on the trail. I would like to see if anybody else used this type suspension.
View attachment 663173View attachment 663174View attachment 663175View attachment 663176View attachment 663177
I love the tube axle, combine with timbren ride, I think this is the best suspension.
And I'm thinking this is almost a bolt on conversion from leaf springs.

billiebob

Not for me, design elegance and minimalism much more important than trying for cheap.

Boat gets sea-transported on its own if not just sailed where it needs to go.

Multiple living pods, turned into stationary tiny homes. Water tanks, gravel box not worth taking overseas, easy to pick up or make there if needed.

Living pod shell itself very cheap, appliances, fittings and tech infrastructure, designed to easily remove and take along when shell left behind.

Framing for stationary use does not need to be as robust as the mobile total, hence the modular approach, pod slides within the exo frame, independent of lifting roof rack.

Without the trailer frame, say just sitting on a flatbed, pod would be likely too weak, think Foamy style super lightweight.
you need to start a thread, I'm betting we are all interested

john61ct

Adventurer
Once I get motivated enough to produce some SketchUps

maybe find a third-world engineer (? ing student?)

to help figure the tubing profiles / thicknesses.

Huckbolts not welding so stuff can get reconfigured.

Maybe even shoot for carrying a (mostly empty) connex up into the mountains or remote desert.

high-and-dry

I looked at the timbren stuff, and was really interested. I walked away when I tried to find info, ie help from sellers and from timbren... and I got absolutely no where. I eve tried to message timbren here and never got a reply.

The sellers said, "oh we cant help you with any info, just give us part numbers to buy" timbren said on the phone, "oh we dont have info like that call one of our sellers"

Timbren needs to put a guide together, simple info like you use this drop spindle and your center of axle will be this far below the mounting surface, if you use one it will be this far... Yes I could not even get that sort of info from anyone.

I like their design, and would have bought it, but could not find the info I needed to even spec what I wanted.

ps their stuff is pricey.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
I looked at the timbren stuff, and was really interested. I walked away when I tried to find info, ie help from sellers and from timbren... and I got absolutely no where. I eve tried to message timbren here and never got a reply.

The sellers said, "oh we cant help you with any info, just give us part numbers to buy" timbren said on the phone, "oh we dont have info like that call one of our sellers"

Timbren needs to put a guide together, simple info like you use this drop spindle and your center of axle will be this far below the mounting surface, if you use one it will be this far... Yes I could not even get that sort of info from anyone.

I like their design, and would have bought it, but could not find the info I needed to even spec what I wanted.

ps their stuff is pricey.
I am sorry you didn't find the info you were looking for. Our engineers are always willing and able to answer any questions you may have. As mentioned above eTrailer is also a great resource and partner of ours. It's great to see this thread taking off and so many interested in our axle-less suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles