2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

billiebob

saw a test 30 years ago on improving the aerodynamics of a pickup. They used an S10 Syclone and did many things. Tailgate dropped, tailgate off, full canopy, full cap, sleeper thing. The best option which improves interstate mileage was a 20" box in front of the tailgate, and an open box btween that and the cab.

hence....
i.jpeg

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Isn't it better to have a truck bed and a Frunk? How does having more storage "kinda worthless"?
How is loosing 2 1/2 ft of bed and gaining a frunk more storage?

Nothing worse than your kids baseball gear out in the open for a smash and grab. The frunk in a truck is brilliant.
It works if you are using your truck as a car.
If you are using your truck as a truck the tradeoff sucks.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
There are more F150’s err pickup trucks in my neighborhood today than there were 15yrs “0”
They all are rigged up differently. One has a real lumber rack belongs to a family the wife is a landscape architect she does real work with it but I see it on weekends hauling Mt Bikes.
Another one has a hard bed cover with a bike rack its the MT Bike / gear rig.
The next door neighbor his is the dirt bike / ski boat / snow ski / family hauler/trip rig.
15 yrs ago there were zero pickups in my hood. Full sized SUVs were rare but not uncommon. It was all Mini vans, and mid sized stuff even high end mid sized stuff Land Cruisers, Lexus, Range Rovers etc.

Today its all GM and Ford Full sized SUVs and some Trucks.. nearly 50/50 with the typical Pilots, Highlanders etc. Which I can honestly say is directly tied to the modern car aspects these new full sized rigs have now. The mid sized stuff is now the dated ho hum vehicle.

NorthwestDriver

How is loosing 2 1/2 ft of bed and gaining a frunk more storage?

It works if you are using your truck as a car.
If you are using your truck as a truck the tradeoff sucks.

I’m not so sure. I have a shell on my pickup bed to keep tools dry and locked, it’s great —until I need to haul something oversized. Taking that top off by myself and then storing it sucks. I avoid doing it at all costs.

To your point, I wish there was an option for a super cab and 6.5’ bed. Perhaps in 1-2 years.

85_Ranger4x4

I’m not so sure. I have a shell on my pickup bed to keep tools dry and locked, it’s great —until I need to haul something oversized. Taking that top off by myself and then storing it sucks. I avoid doing it at all costs.

To your point, I wish there was an option for a super cab and 6.5’ bed. Perhaps in 1-2 years.

That is why I have two lol.

Ranger has a topper for dry somewhat secure storage, F-150 is open for whatever is bulky.

I can't take the topper off my Ranger by myself, it is fiberglass and is at least 3x as heavy as it looks. Best $40 ever though.

dstock

Explorer

That's what I was thinking, more lockable storage in the Frunk, leaves the bed open for larger items. The patent Ford filed for the extended range battery pack shows it as a removable battery+generator but that's all speculation at this point. My buddy has a crew cab F150 with the 6.5ft bed and that's about as big as I would go, and I expect we will see more configurations after the initial roll out.

jbaucom

I hope to at least see an expansion to offer an extended cab 6.5' bed since it shares a wheelbase with the crew cab 5.5' configuration. I have no hope of Ford offering any regular cab Lightnings, since even the regular cab long bed rides on a shorter wheelbase than the extended and crew cab trucks. I think a smaller cab and longer bed that cuts costs, especially if it's offered with a rear seat delete, would be reasonably appealing to a lot of fleets that don't need a crew cab. I could see that being a fleet only offering in the Lightning Pro trim. On an F150 the upgrade cost from extended to crew cab averages almost $3000 across the different trims. This represents significant saving per unit for commercial customers, if their trucks only need to seat a driver, and maybe one passenger.

D

Deleted member 9101

Which is kinda worthless for truck things...

If you could get buy just hauling stuff in the frunk you could get buy hauling your junk in a car.

You do realize that you can put all kinds of "truck things" up there...lol.

D

Deleted member 9101

Not much that won't fit in the back of a car...
Not everyone want to piss away money and needlessly own a car and a truck when a truck can do the job of both...lol.

Today I hit Dicks, Kohls, Lowe's, and Publix. I did both "car" and "truck" things with one vehicle.

How would you prefer that they use the space up front? Just leave it empty?

Last edited by a moderator:

85_Ranger4x4

Not everyone want to piss away money and needlessly own a car and a truck when a truck can do the job of both...lol.

Today I hit Dicks, Kohls, Lowe's, and Publix. I did both "car" and "truck" things with one vehicle.

How would you prefer that they use the space up front? Just leave it empty?

I don't really care, with a battery in the back I have nowhere for a things like a lawn mower, furniture, lumber etc.

For that the frunk is worthless as an alternative.

I could mention my slide in camper but most don't have that concern.

My point was if you have to tie up the bed with a battery for range... You might as well forget the truck and get a car with similar cargo capacity that is cheaper and probably has better range to boot.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't really care, with a battery in the back I have nowhere for a things like a lawn mower, furniture, lumber etc.

For that the frunk is worthless as an alternative.

I could mention my slide in camper but most don't have that concern.

My point was if you have to tie up the bed with a battery for range... You might as well forget the truck and get a car with similar cargo capacity that is cheaper and probably has better range to boot.

You do realize the battery is under the floor not in the truck bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles