2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

D

Deleted member 9101

I love it. With the exception of road trips (FL to NM and FL to NH) that require 1,000 miles in a day, it can do 100% of what my current truck does... With a lower operating cost.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
it's interesting. I'm still curious why they used 15-20 style lighting shapes and not the current 2021 shapes?

Independent rear end. I wonder how the truck masses will accept that. Although I guess if you're looking at an electric truck, maybe you're an early adopter anyway?

Probably not for me. But, I'd def be interested in a PHEV version.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Meh too much for what it is and they have all that space to work with but the range isn't WOW. Price is above the average joe.

jbaucom

I think Ford really nailed an electric truck for the heart of the market - it looks like the best selling truck in the USA instead of a science experiment (Cyber Truck) or status symbol/personal statement (Hummer EV), the entry-level and mid-level pricing (XLT @ low 50's) is consistent with current 1/2 ton crew cab 4x4s, and the payload and towing is adequate for most buyers who aren't maxing out their truck's capabilities. Range is the only major hurdle it will have to overcome with many buyers, at least with the standard battery. The larger battery with 300 mile range should have probably been standard for non-commercial customers, as in my experience, with typical ~25 gallon tanks, I need to refuel around 300 miles in mixed driving. The standard battery range is probably fine for many commercial uses where the driving is mostly local, from site to site, or to and around a large worksite, without a lot of miles put on throughout the day. For long-distance travel, Ford still lags in the range and recharging competition.

The aggressive pricing on the low end makes this a huge step toward bringing electric trucks to the masses. At the high end of the market, I think the F150 Lightning Platinum and the Hummer EV matchup will be very interesting, and a buyer's choice will be made by the intended use of the vehicle - recreation vs daily driver/work.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think Ford really nailed an electric truck for the heart of the market - it looks like the best selling truck in the USA instead of a science experiment (Cyber Truck) or status symbol/personal statement (Hummer EV), the entry-level and mid-level pricing (XLT @ low 50's) is consistent with current 1/2 ton crew cab 4x4s, and the payload and towing is adequate for most buyers who aren't maxing out their truck's capabilities.

The aggressive pricing on the low end makes this a huge step toward bringing electric trucks to the masses. At the high end of the market, I think the F150 Lightning Platinum and the Hummer EV matchup will be very interesting, and a buyer's choice will be made by the intended use of the vehicle - recreation vs daily driver/work.
I don't really find the pricing aggressive. 68K for the XLT? Seems like a big upcharge from a gas powered XLT Supercrew 4x4.

110K for the Platinum? I think that's about 25-30K more than a gas powered Platinum. 30K would buy a lot of fuel and maintenance.

Screenshot 2021-05-20 101432.png
Screenshot 2021-05-20 101943.png

Last edited:

jbaucom

I don't really find the pricing aggressive. 68K for the XLT? Seems like a big upcharge from a gas powered XLT Supercrew 4x4.

110K for the Platinum? I think that's about 25-30K more than a gas powered Platinum. 30K would buy a lot of fuel and maintenance.

According to Ford, the base model starts at $39,974, the XLT starts at $52,974, and the Platinum maxes out at around $90,474.

Also, these prices are before the $7500 federal tax credit.

BeNimble

Sweet Truck!. Having that front trunk is a HUGE game changer for a truck, more than being an EV.
Now just downsize it into a smaller cheaper version, like the old Ranger, and it will take over.

erstwild

For my needs and intended usage, this is definitely on the right track but not quite ready for prime time. I am a full-timer with my rig, so between needing a much longer range equivalent for taking the weight and aerodynamics hit for a camper, I would also be planning on making liberal use of the battery for powering everything I need including heat and AC. I think I will be waiting until the end of the decade, but with some battery tech improvements, it will get there. I need 1,000 mile range and 3000lb payload. For most typical Americans that never seem to actually use their pickup for anything and even short range fleet operators, this will a big hit I think.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Last edited:

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I am glad to see Ford build this, it will spur other manufacturers to bring similar EV trucks to market for the every day user, I am waiting to see Toyota's EV trucks, I don't trust Ford to have the reliability and battery longevity up to par on this just yet, but I do like that they are kicking the market in gear. Is there any mention on the battery warranty, expected life span or replacement cost yet? I would assume if it was noteworthy they would have mentioned it. Do they match other EV battery warranty's?

Wose

I think it makes sense for people who use it as an in-town work truck. Your plumber could drive around with it all day long from service call to service call, plug it in at night, and never buy a drop of gasoline.

The second group of people who could use this are the people who honestly don't need a pickup truck to begin with. There are plenty of crew-cab F150s used as kid-haulers and the occasional grocery getters. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's A Thing.

I think the beauty of the F150 right now is the damn thing can be configured so many different ways with six ICE engine choices, a hybrid, an all electric, three cab sizes, three bed sizes, different drive trains, and a dizzying array of option packages.

I use our truck as a rural utility vehicle, trailer tow vehicle, family "soft roading" adventure mobile and hunting truck. The electric really won't work for guys like me. I would be lucky getting 100 miles towing our trailer, and we never go TOWARDS a place where we could charge an EV.

But there has to be some electricians and plumbers out there that are saying "I could put my contractor truck cap on that and NEVER BUY GAS AGAIN."

jbaucom

For a 300 XLT Supercrew with 4x4 and a 2.7L, I'm getting about 50K. That's almost 20K less than a base lighting at 68K. (Canadian)

I forgot that you're in Canada, which explains the pricing discrepancy. Here, a F150 XLT crew cab 4x4 with the base 300A package starts at $43,805 + destination with the 3.3 V6. With the 2.7 TT V6, the base price is $45,000, with the 5.0 V8 it starts at $45,800, and with the 3.5 TT V6 it's $46,400. The Powerboost hybrid drivetrain in that truck starts at $48,300. Considering the $7500 US federal tax credit brings the starting price of an XLT Lightning to $45,474, I'd call it aggressive pricing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles