Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Aleja_333

Just picked up my Canopy Camper last month. Shout out to @Tinyrigco in Orange County. If you need anything Alucab and you're in the West Coast, Tinyrig will have you covered. Their attention to detail and customer care was remarkable.

I'll post some pictures of the inside soon. Since I don't have Goose Gear setup yet, someone can get some ideas from my setup.

View attachment 658025View attachment 658026View attachment 658027

Some pictures of the interior.

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 11.35.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 11.35.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 11.36.20 PM.png

abenteur_co

There are federal and state laws restricting the color you can paint a propane tank. A black tank will absorb significantly more heat which could have serious consequences, besides being illegal.

Not to pile on, but I've had a simple 1 pound (green colored) propane tank blow out a regulator because I left it out in the sun and hooked up. If you have the tank valve open you're most likely going to end up with a blown regulator spewing propane some day (pretty dangerous) or if closed who knows. Be safe!

SoyBoy

I there anyone out there that finds the small hatch door somewhat 'useless. I figure that if I take it out I may not miss it. Any thoughts from folks who have spent a bunch of time up there?

Mtpisgah

For the most part, is fairly useless, I agree. We use it some when making the bed in the morning or we set our iPads on it when reading before going to bed. But we could get by without.

I have considered cutting it in half, leaving the passenger side (adding a support) so we have the ability to do that, but leaving the driver side wide open for passing through. Just not sure it is worth the time to do that.

SoyBoy

For the most part, is fairly useless, I agree. We use it some when making the bed in the morning or we set our iPads on it when reading before going to bed. But we could get by without.

I have considered cutting it in half, leaving the passenger side (adding a support) so we have the ability to do that, but leaving the driver side wide open for passing through. Just not sure it is worth the time to do that.
That's what I figured - We usually sleep with the hatch in the up position anyhow.
Good idea to have a smaller hatch to act as an end table and bed-making platform. I figure I will remove the hatch - cut a test piece of plywood to simulate let say a 1/4 sized hatch. Likely from the existing hinge screws. If it is 1/4 ish the size - you may not need to have a hinge at all if you install it on the opposite side of how you get up to bed. Time will tell. YMMV!

lumis

That's what I figured - We usually sleep with the hatch in the up position anyhow.
Good idea to have a smaller hatch to act as an end table and bed-making platform. I figure I will remove the hatch - cut a test piece of plywood to simulate let say a 1/4 sized hatch. Likely from the existing hinge screws. If it is 1/4 ish the size - you may not need to have a hinge at all if you install it on the opposite side of how you get up to bed. Time will tell. YMMV!

keep in mind if you remove it that your tent canvas will come down into the canopy area when the top is closed.

SoyBoy

keep in mind if you remove it that your tent canvas will come down into the canopy area when the top is closed.
I removed the hatch and yes the tent canvas comes down -but that goes away when you deploy the tent and if you need to enter the accc without deploying the tent - you just need to tuck the tent material...

Mtpisgah

I had not thought about that, but i would think that there would be enough on top of the mattress that it would hold most of the tent up. If I do it I will leave half there for bed making so I think it would be ok.

lumis

I removed the hatch and yes the tent canvas comes down -but that goes away when you deploy the tent and if you need to enter the accc without deploying the tent - you just need to tuck the tent material...

Yeah not a big deal just wanted to point that out, I have one of the first few campers that came into the states and recently was able to borrow a newer one when I was having some work done on my truck and realized that my hatch was way bigger then the newer one. meaning if I did that I would have less platform to sleep on. about 3 inches less. otherwise I would do that also.

GabeW

I loved reading through this thread over the last several months as I planned my build. Thanks to everyone who shared pictures and ideas. I went pretty minimal for the first nine months I had the camper, but recently decided to start modding it. Here is a video I made of a simple kitchen install:

SoyBoy

Yeah not a big deal just wanted to point that out, I have one of the first few campers that came into the states and recently was able to borrow a newer one when I was having some work done on my truck and realized that my hatch was way bigger then the newer one. meaning if I did that I would have less platform to sleep on. about 3 inches less. otherwise I would do that also.
I've not spent much time with the hatch removed and don't figure I will miss it at all. I will likely not fill that space up with any type of platform either. Time Will Tell...

Did a quick walk through of my current Canopy Camper setup. Figured this might help some of you guys on the fence about getting one. I tried to cover everything quickly in this video and plan on doing more detailed videos breaking down each part of the camper soon. Apologies for the mumbling I tend to do that when I try and talk fast to fit too many details in videos.

PS: Watch it on Youtube if you want 4k, for some reason this embedded video only allows 720p...strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles