INEOS Grenadier

ChasingOurTrunks

Done deal .....

Great news, as far as I'm concerned. Without wading into the politics of Brexit and the implications on car building that might bring, the brass-tacks of this means that Ineos now owns a car plant rather than having to build one from scratch. That moves them MUCH closer to production than they were a month or two ago, and makes it a lot more likely that this will be a real vehicle we can buy next year/early 2022. Plus, there's something to be said about a workforce that is used to building Mercedes -- that's not exactly a bad thing in terms of quality. Granted, the car in question (Smart EQ Fourtwo) isn't exactly heralded as the pinnacle of motoring, but the critiques I've seen on the Fourtwo are mostly based on design, not quality control/production.

I know that, being the 'spiritual' successor of the Classic Defender, having it not built in Britain will be a mark against it for some folks, but I still see this as very good news.

T-Willy

Great news, as far as I'm concerned. Without wading into the politics of Brexit and the implications on car building that might bring, the brass-tacks of this means that Ineos now owns a car plant rather than having to build one from scratch. That moves them MUCH closer to production than they were a month or two ago, and makes it a lot more likely that this will be a real vehicle we can buy next year/early 2022. Plus, there's something to be said about a workforce that is used to building Mercedes -- that's not exactly a bad thing in terms of quality. Granted, the car in question (Smart EQ Fourtwo) isn't exactly heralded as the pinnacle of motoring, but the critiques I've seen on the Fourtwo are mostly based on design, not quality control/production.

I know that, being the 'spiritual' successor of the Classic Defender, having it not built in Britain will be a mark against it for some folks, but I still see this as very good news.

This move makes their launch date a lot more realistic; I'm starting to get excited. It's not that far away (as these things go). Among the various offerings to consider for a new remote touring rig, Grenadier checks the most boxes for me right now.

ChasingOurTrunks

Looks like interior is going to be revealed early in the new year. Some other neat developments/milestones talked about here too:

And this video is a bit of a look at the 4 main inspirations of the Grenadier. If they pull this off, the Gren is exactly what a lot of us want I think:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
From Private Eye (https://www.private-eye.co.uk/):

jim-ratcliffe.jpg

RBBailey

Observer
So I bought my dream car -- a 1988 Defender 110 -- several years back. I loved that car, and I do miss it. I put the 300Tdi in it, and went through lots of work to get it.... "modern". At some point I realized that I had to either sell my classic 1965 IIa, and put all that money into major mods on the Defender to keep it as a modern daily driver that could cruise at 80mph, look classic, but be modern for the real modern world we live in. Or I had to sell the Defender. I ended up selling it, and buying a 1998 G-Wagen with the V6. This vehicle is fantastic. I love it. But not in the same way. And it too is getting older every day. It really fits the bill, but.... you know....... G-Wagons.... rappers...... bling........ at some point, if you buy one that is newer than about 2008, you get into territory you don't want to be associated with. But the build quality and off-road capability is second to none.

So along comes the Grenadier. At first I didn't think it would ever fly. Then I figured it just reminds me too much of a Santana, and I just... couldn't like it. But after having owned the G-Wagen, and the Defender, and now seeing footage of actual vehicles doing actual stuff, not just computer generated images, I really think this might be my next vehicle -- if they can keep the price down. That's my one fear. I just can't believe this will be less than $80k starting. But get it down anywhere near my price range, and it may be the first new vehicle I'll ever buy. I think a lot of people would agree.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
So I bought my dream car -- a 1988 Defender 110 -- several years back. I loved that car, and I do miss it. I put the 300Tdi in it, and went through lots of work to get it.... "modern". At some point I realized that I had to either sell my classic 1965 IIa, and put all that money into major mods on the Defender to keep it as a modern daily driver that could cruise at 80mph, look classic, but be modern for the real modern world we live in. Or I had to sell the Defender. I ended up selling it, and buying a 1998 G-Wagen with the V6. This vehicle is fantastic. I love it. But not in the same way. And it too is getting older every day. It really fits the bill, but.... you know....... G-Wagons.... rappers...... bling........ at some point, if you buy one that is newer than about 2008, you get into territory you don't want to be associated with. But the build quality and off-road capability is second to none.

So along comes the Grenadier. At first I didn't think it would ever fly. Then I figured it just reminds me too much of a Santana, and I just... couldn't like it. But after having owned the G-Wagen, and the Defender, and now seeing footage of actual vehicles doing actual stuff, not just computer generated images, I really think this might be my next vehicle -- if they can keep the price down. That's my one fear. I just can't believe this will be less than $80k starting. But get it down anywhere near my price range, and it may be the first new vehicle I'll ever buy. I think a lot of people would agree.

It will be $80k+. But you have a couple years to start saving!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles