Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few photos with ideas from an article about an Alucab tip-up camper like an Usra Minor.

Cooking is done on a stove on a tailgate table.

TipTop1.jpg

A look at the inside, probably can't really do this in a Wrangler because the roll bars and inner fenders take up so much space.

TopTop5.jpg

Nothing is installed on them in this photo, but there are tracks on hardtop side for mounting gear.

TopTop2.jpg

There's an on board water tank and a gauge on the dash for it.

TopTop3.jpg

The "gullwing" lockers replacing the side windows on the hardtop are very organized inside:

TopTop4.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Exmoor makes door pockets for Land Rovers and just announced new ones for early Series models.

ExmoorDoorCards.jpg

Series doors are flat inside; Wrangler doors are too sculptured for full panel pockets but add-on pockets along the bottom works well:

PocketPanelDriver1.jpg

Pockets could be made to fit on the top part of the JK/JKU door:

UpperDoorPocket(1).jpg

UpperDoorPocketBlack(2).jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A few photos with ideas from an article about an Alucab tip-up camper like an Usra Minor.

TipTop1.jpg

I just spent some time with a couple here in Canada who have this exact Alu-cab roof on thier Defender 110.
It was great to put it side by side with the Ursa Minor and compare them.

The 110 is cavernous inside compared to the Wrangler, and I really, really liked how the bed sleeping platform is on gas struts and can be really quickly and easily "pushed up" out of the way (basically until it's touching the open roof).
That will be in my future...

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
From the June issue of Land Rover Owner that just arrived - they call this an "awning mount" and I suppose it's that but it's more than that - it's a tent that has an awning that mounts to the roof of the vehicle. Where the "awning mount" comes in is that it's removable, so the tent awning can be disconnected from the vehicle and left with the tent when the vehicle drives away. Seems like a nice idea for a base camp setup.

AwningMountTent1.jpg

An ad for it in the same issue:

AwningMountTent2.jpg

pith helmet

that looks like a super strong and functional quonset hut-type structure, but I am a fool for aesthetics, so that's a no go for me.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
On Sunday I posted about new door pockets from Exmoor for Series models, here's a photo of one they just posted on Instagram.

ExmoorDoorCards2.jpg

Might be able to do something like this on a CJ/YJ door and possibly a TJ door, but definitely not on the more sculpted doors of a JK or JL.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Might be able to do something like this on a CJ/YJ door and possibly a TJ door, but definitely not on the more sculpted doors of a JK or JL.

Why not go minimalist and pull the door panel off? Looks like the inner skin is pretty flat; close it with a sheet of aluminum or plywood and Bob’s your uncle: flat surface to install something similar!

Make a nice leather pull strap to close the door and I’m sure a simple latch on the inside to open it shouldn’t be too hard to find/make; lots of aftermarket half doors have figured it out.

E983ABE7-C35D-430B-A1F9-4D6EFBF4676D.jpeg

Charles R

Adventurer
Why not go minimalist and pull the door panel off? Looks like the inner skin is pretty flat; close it with a sheet of aluminum or plywood and Bob’s your uncle: flat surface to install something similar!

This is my basic plan for my rear doors in my Grand. I've been thinking about building new panels with plywood, basically to provide space for a fridge. A molle based panel might be a decent thing too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

Make a nice leather pull strap to close the door and I’m sure a simple latch on the inside to open it shouldn’t be too hard to find/make; lots of aftermarket half doors have figured it out.

View attachment 660330
That's a good idea and easy enough to do with the TJ and earlier models, but more challenging for the JK and JL - notice in the photo of the JK door panel below the inside latch handle sits in a sculpted part of the door panel. Since it doesn't sit on a flat surface, it would be a challenge to reuse it on a flat panel. Might be able to replace it with a TJ inside latch, which does sit on a flat panel. Probably more trouble than it's worth to make it a commercial product, I doubt there would be much demand for something like that which requires a custom door panel or different inside latch plus the door pocket panel - it would have to be priced more than the market would probably bear.

PocketPanelDriver1.jpg

Charles R

Adventurer
The handle may be molded into the door panel, but I bet the connections that actually go to the latch are pretty basic.

On my Grand the handle connects to a simple rod. It's your basic, "rod with a 90* bend that goes through a hole in the handle" setup. I could straight up replace that handle with the one from my 1968 Karmann Ghia, (which just happens to be a bolt on piece) and the latch would never know the difference.

Something to think about!

Jurfie

Adventurer
Probably more trouble than it's worth to make it a commercial product, I doubt there would be much demand for something like that which requires a custom door panel or different inside latch plus the door pocket panel - it would have to be priced more than the market would probably bear.

Probably. But it would be fun as a DIY project! And I agree with @Charles R that the mechanism itself is probably pretty basic.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Probably. But it would be fun as a DIY project! And I agree with @Charles R that the mechanism itself is probably pretty basic.
The connection to the release handle is very simple, that's why if one were doing this for the JK, I suggested a TJ release handle as a good alternative - the JK actuator rod would attach to it, and it's designed to mount on a flat surface.

Charles R

Adventurer
Have you seen the prices of what the market embraces?!? LOL!

But yeah, I get you. (And I know you have tons of experience with the manufacturers) It's a pretty niche thing at that level.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Have you seen the prices of what the market embraces?!? LOL!

But yeah, I get you. (And I know you have tons of experience with the manufacturers) It's a pretty niche thing at that level.
I've turned over 8 fabric product designs to Overland Outfitters in the past few months and they're trying to decide which to bring to market first (and maybe which ones not to do). The list they're trying to prioritize (I've posted photos of all of these projects in this thread):

1. JK/JKU door pockets
2. Seat-back Molle/Zip & Go Storage panel
3. Camp Cabinet vanity bag for camping
4. First Responder large first aid bag
5. Kitchen Keeper bag, holds condiments, silverware and other items for camp kitchens
6. Cool Bag Picnic Bag, a combination cooler/placesetting/condiment bag
7. Cool Bag Drink Bag, a Zip & Go seat back insulated bag for drinks and other refreshments
8. Compressor Bag

They told me they're thinking of posting all of them in Instagram to see what gets the most interest/likes.

Not my job, mon, I just design this stuff for my own amusement, if a company decides to pick up any of my designs all of the decisions related to the design are up to them :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier