New Bronco

85_Ranger4x4

Given the choice Subaru Outback or Bronc sport? After 20yrs if Subaru and a cvt, Bronc sport hands down no question about it. Better machine for adventure minded young folk.

Eh, right out of college I really wanted a new TJ, ended up with a used F-150.

Not sure I have ever been in that demographic to really comment.

roving1

Man that 2.3 and manual would make such an awesome retrofit to so many old school trucks. If Ford racing offers a standalone engine management for that combo that would be almost more compelling than buying the whole new Bronco lol. I can't imagine 300HP and 315ft-lbs and a 7 speed manual in a 1st gen Tacoma or a TJ.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Man that 2.3 and manual would make such an awesome retrofit to so many old school trucks. If Ford racing offers a standalone engine management for that combo that would be almost more compelling than buying the whole new Bronco lol. I can't imagine 300HP and 315ft-lbs and a 7 speed manual in a 1st gen Tacoma or a TJ.
Not sure what the powerband is like. But, could also be a fun retro fit for stuff like an Alfa Romeo Spyder, Fiat 124, Miata maybe fox body Mustangs maybe a E30 / E36 track car...

CoreyHendo

You can buy the motor and controller pack from Ford Performance. It is based on the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Mustang, not the Ranger/Focus RS/Bronco, though.

85_Ranger4x4

I know a guy swapped a 2.0EB into a older Ranger and he loves it.

I have also heard there is more bank per buck to turbo a 2.3 Duratec.

I have no real experience with either.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah the engine performance coming out of these eco boosts getting perfected is really impressive. It makes the Toyota power options super archaic and sadly under powered.

Super happy with my Expedition, I don’t miss my Sequoia at all. The low end grunt these Ecoboosts make is also pretty wild.

You can buy the motor and controller pack from Ford Performance. It is based on the 2.3 Ecoboost in the Mustang, not the Ranger/Focus RS/Bronco, though.

Wonder if that could be reprogrammed for a more torque low end curve. Then if you could buy the 7 speed out of the Bronco, assuming you could get it to mate up...hmm, thinking my 3rd Gen 4Runner could use a little refresh...

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Wonder if that could be reprogrammed for a more torque low end curve. Then if you could buy the 7 speed out of the Bronco, assuming you could get it to mate up...hmm, thinking my 3rd Gen 4Runner could use a little refresh...
300hp 315ftlb in a 4runner would make it pretty scary lol. I wonder if the running gear would hold up?

roving1

yeah, imagine all the hate from the Toyota faithful..a Ford in a Toyota. That in itself would be worth the price of admission :cool:

I can't imagine even the most diehard Toyota guy missing swapping out a 3.0 3vz-fe for just about anything lol.

If I ever get to the point of SASing my 1st gen Taco it will probably get 2.0 or 2.3 EB at the same time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can't imagine even the most diehard Toyota guy missing swapping out a 3.0 3vz-fe for just about anything lol.

If I ever get to the point of SASing my 1st gen Taco it will probably get 2.0 or 2.3 EB at the same time.
I had that POS it got a ground up rebuild twice on Toyotas dime bad design poor head vs block surface would randomly pop head gaskets like they were rice paper.

CoreyHendo

Wonder if that could be reprogrammed for a more torque low end curve....
I'd be curious to know what is different other than tuning. Do they have different cams? Different pistons/rods (material, cast vs. forged, compression ratio, etc)? Intake manifold runners designed with torque in mind? There is plenty of information about how the Rangers 2.3 is based off the Focus RS motor specifically and what parts they share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles