Tundra 35" tire fitment and offset

beef tits

There seems to be a lot of info out there but not what I am looking for, people aren't specific enough when posting... so here we go with the same question that has probably been asked and poorly answered 100x...

I'm looking at the Method 703 in 17x8.5" with 35mm offset and hoping to run a 35x12.5 tire. I have the ARB lift kit and an ARB front bumper/winch which is heavy, planning on also adding Camburg balljoint UCAs and the heavy 5.7 OME springs in hopes of getting a little more travel too.

I'm okay with tires sticking out 1", 1.5" max from the fender, in which case I will get OE style fender flares. I do not like the skateboard look where tires stick out super far.

Is there anything I need to be concerned with other than removing mudflaps and a possible cab mount chop? Is the cab mount chop a certainty or could this setup work without?

I'm running 275/70 18 currently and they fit great but I don't have a lot of trail clearance.

Edit, methods are a 35mm offset not 25mm

Last edited:

hilgeg

You will most likely have to do the body mount chop otherwise it will rub when steering lock to lock especially when flexing your suspension. Since you are already running an aftermarket bumper you should be fine there. +25mm offset should give you an aggressive stance (I think stock Tundra wheels are a +55mm offset so you are only picking up 3/4 of an inch outside of the fender). The only variable to this is what tires you choose. If you go with a BFG KO2 you many not need the BMC because their 35x12.50 only measures 34.5.

beef tits

Thanks for confirming! If it's really ¾ more overall width I may not bother with flares, we'll see how they fit!

Factory TRD Off Road and TRD Pro wheels are 60mm offset. 35mm will give you a bit of poke, but with 12.5" wide tires, I agree you'll probably have to chop the cab mount.

For comparison sake, I have 35.1" Duratrac 285/75R18s. These are skinny 35s. I'm running a 2" lift up front from the factory TRD Pro suspension. I only had to remove the small mud guards in front of the front wheels. That's it. No cab mount chop. This setup works great for me.

With 12.5s, you may also rub a bit on the sway bar, but maybe not with that offset? A big plus to that offset will be the extra clearance it'll give you for aftermarket UCAs like you're planning on doing.

Guys also report rubbing on the front skid plate with wider tires. Depends on the plate and the offset, I guess.

Watt maker

I agree with @Over The Silent Planet with Methods and 35/12.50 tire, you’ll most likely need a cab mount chop to get them to clear. With a wheel that has a lot of positive offset like the factory wheels, you can run a skinny 35 pretty easily. I’m on the factory Pro suspension (2” lift) and factory wheels and run 295/70/18’s easily as well. Still have the front mud flaps on.

beef tits

Thanks fellas.

Got the 35x12.5s and cab mount chop plates in hand.

Wheels are on order along with Camburg UCAs, OME 2613 springs and OE (1")fender flares. I heard Method is like 6-8 weeks on back order so I'll be waiting patiently for wheels to arrive.

Slightly off topic, but front and rear e-lockers and 4.88s going in next week, these were in stock luckily.

Hoping this pig is a little better off road after this. I'm not at all impressed with clearance/maneuverability on the trail as she sits.

tacollie

Glamper
Thanks fellas.

Wheels are on order along with Camburg UCAs, OME 2613 springs and OE (1")fender flares. I heard Method is like 6-8 weeks on back order so I'll be waiting patiently for wheels to arrive.

Slightly off topic, but front and rear e-lockers and 4.88s going in next week, these were in stock luckily.

Hoping this pig is a little better off road after this. I'm not at all impressed with clearance/maneuverability on the trail as she sits.
That stuff will help. Tundras are low and long. The 35s will help but it's still a huge truck. The 4.88s will be a good match with the 5.7. The factory 4.30s aren't great imo.

Watt maker

Thanks fellas.

35’s and lockers should definitely help. These tundras are long with a kind of low departure angle. We do take our tundra off-road but nothing hardcore. It usually pulls the camp trailer or boat and we use one of the 4runners for trail duty. That being said, so far the tundra has worked well for us. The biggest improvement off-road was definitely better, taller tires.

Watt maker

That stuff will help. Tundras are low and long. The 35s will help but it's still a huge truck. The 4.88s will be a good match with the 5.7. The factory 4.30s aren't great imo.

The stock 4.30 gears work good with the stock tire size. The problem is the transmission is sort of high geared and wide ratio at that. 6th gear is a 0.58 overdrive! My tundra is on 295/70/18 tires and I’m really considering going with 5.29 gears to get the power band back, maybe even a little better, to help pull our trailers a little easier. I’ve read folks that have regeared to 5.29’s, running 295/70/18 tires, and recalibrated the speedometer for that tire size have reported highway rpm’s are only 200 higher than stock. That could work for me. I’ve also considered upgrading to a 1-ton single rear wheel truck but now is such a terrible time to purchase a vehicle.

xyounx

I am running 35x12.5r17 on 17x8.5 +25 wheels. even with 3inch lift on the front. it rubbed on BM. had to chop it.

beef tits

Ditching the method wheels, can't seem to get a ship date out of 4WP. I'll be going with 285/75/18s in the Geolandar X-AT (35.1") on stock wheels instead of 35x12.5s as well. An extra 1-1.5" of tire width does not seem worth the effort or MPG sacrifice. Never like the look of aftermarket wheels anyway!

It also does not appear that the UCAs are really necessary nor beneficial with the OME lift, so those are out. As I have read numerous times by now, it seems UCA swaps are really only worthwhile for lifts over 3" in order to get proper alignment, OR if you are running a mid-travel suspension setup, UCA allows more movement. OME is not a mid travel setup as I understand.

Still putting the heavy spring into the front coil, hoping this adds .5-1" of additional space for tire. Still rollin on a 35" tall tire. Hoping to net 1-1.5" additional front clearance.

Still meeting the goal, and saving some dough as well as some MPG with lighter/thinner tires. Win. May or may not have to chop the body mount, we will see.

Last edited:

beef tits

285/75/18s are on, no rubbing on or off road. The Yokohama Geolandar X-AT is allegedly a 35.1" tire. No CMC in my future, no UCA needed, this works great and the truck also drives great with the 4.88s.

I tested out the E-lockers front and rear last evening up on Bill Moore Lake trail. Not the most difficult but close to town. Tires made a nice difference on clearance and the lockers make obstacles, steep trails, and opposed articulation rolley-poleys considerably less burdensome. There are a few spots on that trail that I previously would have had to rock the truck back and forth and struggle a bit. Now we just go up and over and through nice and slow without a pause.

Snow drifts on the other hand? I still had to winch through a few piles on sloping trail sections but all in all I'm happy with the new setup.

Watt maker

285/75/18s are on, no rubbing on or off road. The Yokohama Geolandar X-AT is allegedly a 35.1" tire. No CMC in my future, no UCA needed, this works great and the truck also drives great with the 4.88s.

I tested out the E-lockers front and rear last evening up on Bill Moore Lake trail. Not the most difficult but close to town. Tires made a nice difference on clearance and the lockers make obstacles, steep trails, and opposed articulation rolley-poleys considerably less burdensome. There are a few spots on that trail that I previously would have had to rock the truck back and forth and struggle a bit. Now we just go up and over and through nice and slow without a pause.

Snow drifts on the other hand? I still had to winch through a few piles on sloping trail sections but all in all I'm happy with the new setup.

That’s good to hear. That’s really a great tire size option for the tundra, tall but not too wide and should be able to fit in the factory spare tire location as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier