Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
While in Walmart this morning I checked out their freeze packs for lunchboxes, I picked up 3 of these for $1.00 each. They fit pretty nicely.

WalmartFreezerGel.jpg

Jurfie

Adventurer
I agree with @jgaz; seeing the process is super inspiring and it helps me understand the steps it takes to make such a product. I learn a lot from your posts and appreciate the time you take to document with detailed photos and steps. Keep it up!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Finished the sewing of the "Cool Bag" this morning. It still needs a little ironing to crisp up the shape a bit, but I'm happy with the final result.

It's got a carry handle on the top and a shoulder strap:

CoolBagDone1.jpg

It can also be worn as a backpack.

CoolBagDone3.jpg

Compartments open.

CoolBagDone2.jpg

Attached to a Zip & Go mount on the seat of the JKU.

CoolBagDone4.jpg

Time for a picnic!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There being no supermodels handy this afternoon (my wife was busy), you'll have to suffer through me modeling the bag.

In these photos I've added an insulated Molle bottle holder to one side of the bag.

ModelingShoulder(1).jpg

ModelingBackpack.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Something new arrived yesterday from MORryde. They tell me they've made some improvements to the JK/JKU Side Mount Jerry Can Carrier, I think preproduction samples are in the box for me to install and verify.

NewSideMountsArrive.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This morning's metal project - recycling a Trail Kitchen...

Up until this morning I had three Trail Kitchens here - an early production unit, a later production one, and my original homemade prototype. Definitely don't need three, but what I could use is a simple fridge slide - we often use the fridge for grocery shopping, especially when we buy frozen things in Indian groceries far away. So this morning I decided to recycle the original prototype and build a simple low-profile slide out of the parts.

The original prototype:

SinkSpigot1.jpg

When I built the original prototype I started with a MORryde RV freezer slide:

MORrydeSP56-132.jpg

I could have just disassembled the prototype kitchen and turned it back into a freezer slide, but the freezer tray is actually too narrow for my Dometic fridgees, and it's a double extension slide and I only need single extension, for this and it's a bit tall for a simple slide so I disassembled it down to basic parts, used what I could, added an extra MORryde Trail Kitchen fridge tray that I had on hand, and the result is this:

RecycledPrototype.jpg

RecycledPrototype1.jpg

Exactly what I need for times when I'm not on a real expedition and it cost nothing except a few hours of disassembly and reconfiguration.

that_dude

Jeff, are the cargo windows still being considered for production by a company? I think your last updates were still evaluating latches, but I know Covid has interrupted and delayed so many things around the world.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, are the cargo windows still being considered for production by a company? I think your last updates were still evaluating latches, but I know Covid has interrupted and delayed so many things around the world.
Had the pandemic not happened, the cargo windows/hatches would have gone into production in the first quarter of 2020. The pandemic slowed manufacturing at the RV window company that did the prototypes and would have manufactured the production windows; with the restrictions the pandemic placed on them, all they could do was service their large RV manufacturer clients, so small companies like Retrofit Offroad (the company that was going to market the product) couldn't get anything through production.

I don't know the current status, I haven't talked to either the RV window company or Retrofit Offroad in over a year. Best thing to do would be to contact Retrofit and ask them.

that_dude

Had the pandemic not happened, the cargo windows/hatches would have gone into production in the first quarter of 2020. The pandemic slowed manufacturing at the RV window company that did the prototypes and would have manufactured the production windows; with the restrictions the pandemic placed on them, all they could do was service their large RV manufacturer clients, so small companies like Retrofit Offroad (the company that was going to market the product) couldn't get anything through production.

I don't know the current status, I haven't talked to either the RV window company or Retrofit Offroad in over a year. Best thing to do would be to contact Retrofit and ask them.
Thanks, I’ll check in with them. There’s someone else offering a cargo box but I’m finding it difficult to get them to take my money…

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I’ll check in with them. There’s someone else offering a cargo box but I’m finding it difficult to get them to take my money…
Back when I was working on the project I designed and built a prototype for a Molle panel to go behind the hatch, and I designed but didn't prototype a fiberglass compartment to go behind the hatch. I don't know if those will ever be produced. The Molle panel:

CargoCompartmentPanelTest1o_zpsa6ibcpou.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Often when I'm designing and building a prototype I get ideas for derivatives of the initial design, and that's happened with the Cool Bag project. Seeing the Cool Bag hanging on the back of the seat gave me an idea - what if I created a simpler version with just the cool compartment. It could hang on the back of the seat to keep drinks ready and available. It would be easily reached from the front seat, so you could grab a drink on the go.

CoolBag2Parts.jpg

I've cut all the parts and they're laid out on my sewing table ready to begin sewing.

The first Cool Bag had PALS webbing on the sides, so I kept that idea and on this bag I'm adding it across the front as well. This bag could be outfitted with insulated drink holders on each side if more drinks need to be carried and perhaps a Molle pouch on the front for snacks or something.

To allow it to hang in more places, I'm adding Molle straps to the back of this one in addition to the Zip & Go zipper.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I sewed the new cool bag this morning - I think I'll call this one the Zip & Go/Molle Cool Bag (the one I did last week I'm now calling the Zip & Go Picnic Bag). On the sewing table:

CoolBagIIFront.jpg

The back has a Zip & Go zipper for hanging on the seat back and Molle straps.

CoolBagIIBack(1).jpg

It's foam-insulated and the inside is lined in ripstop mylar.

CoolBagIIInside.jpg

With some Molle insulated drink holders and a couple of pouches added.

CoolBagIIFront2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles