2019 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab LWB weekend adventure truck build

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
Got word that from OVRLND that they started the camper build last week. Picking it up the 1st week of May. Literally counting the days now. I ended up with a no windows build to save weight, wasn't convinced I could see very well out of them for backing up anyway and I don't plan on spending many hours inside the camper during daylight hours..

Build as I'll receive it is:
  • Full size barn doors
  • Maxxfan (intake&exhaust)
  • Vinyl windows added to tent window, so they can be canvas, mesh, or clear vinyl
  • Flip up side hatches on both sides, towards front
  • Lift struts for the roof, supports roof weight, so you're only lifting what you put on top of the roof
  • 10" cabover height, 2" more than standard room for extra thick bedding
Total price came out to $11.5k with sales tax. Their prices have gone up a hair since I ordered.

I've ordered a Brandmotion FVMR-1150 replacement rearview camera and a mirror/monitor since I'm losing my tailgate mounted backup camera and won't have a view out the rear. Looked like the cleanest way/best way to have a full time rear view.

Taking two weeks off work to pickup the camper and getting it installed on day three. So I'll have plenty of time to go enjoy it and figure out exactly how I want to build it out.

Now to finish up the wiring project I've been putting off...

Last edited:

skyfree

I don't have any windows in mine and don't miss them. As long as you have a backup camera it's all good. I like the additional security of not providing a way for people to see what you have inside.

trasko

Adventurer
To each his own. Looking through a rear-view mirror (glass) and 3 more layers of glass still works fine for me. I could live without rear glass but I prefer it. As for the side: I like being able to see out when I’m in there. You can always block with shades if you’re worried.

sideburns

Got my Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE/DOT white driving lights installed. Also got the switches/wiring done for my Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Amber wide cornering lights. Also hooked up my heated mirrors to my unused for the moment sasquatch lights switch. Switches blend in nice with the factory amber lights, I didn't put them on a dimmer circuit, but they're about where I run the dimmer circuit at night. I'll get a daylight photo tomorrow once I've dusted/vacuumed the cab. New front end pic too. Winch controls, reverse lights, and the compressor aren't hooked up yet. Driving and Fog switches are on 3 way switches, up is high beam linked, center is off, down is IGN linked. Reverse lights switch is also the same, but are reverse linked in the up position. The "blank" spot is actually the winch power lockout switch, so you don't operate the winch when trying to turn your driving lights on/off.
_8509186.jpg

Found a section of road with good brush/trees and a turn right about 100yds ahead. Truck is facing downhill slightly, and road levels out about at the tall tree on the right. So there is a nice variety of near/far trees to light up and you can see the road the whole way. The lighting test images are pretty accurate to what I saw, I locked the exposure/focus point for all images, I did bump the tripod a bit though. The lights are all a hair warmer than shown I think, will really depend on the device you're viewing with. Brightness is pretty much what you see(device dependent), I could just make out the trees at the end with the factory high beams, but could clearly see them with the driving lights and high beams on, but on snow you go a bit snowblind. Forgot to get an image of driving lights only. I don't know how much I'll use the fogs, probably only low speed driving when I need the best illumination in the ditch and on the road immediately in front of me. Probably be nice for wet asphalt. They scatter a lot of light up high that will likely annoy other drivers though, might switch to the Diode Dynamics SAE Pro fogs with a much more controlled beam pattern I can use more often. I went BD because the Paranoid Fab brackets were designed for them, but it looks like most 3" lights will fit fine, mount dependent. I'll probably wait to do any light changes till I get the Morimoto LED headlights, fingers crossed the mid/late summer ETA holds up.

Light Output.jpg

Last edited:
Good, hasn't settled at all, a little squeaky but lithium grease quieted it down.
Are you planning to add anything to handle your camper?
I’ve got the same CCLB with a Vagabond drifter on the way.I already have airbags so I was thinking these and airbags instead of a more stout leaf pack...too many choices

sideburns

Are you planning to add anything to handle your camper?
I’ve got the same CCLB with a Vagabond drifter on the way.I already have airbags so I was thinking these and airbags instead of a more stout leaf pack...too many choices
I feel like air bags are best for widely varying loads. Being so adjustable. But a leaf pack for a typical load with many thin leafs are best, as long as the load doesn't vary much.(think Old Man Emu or ADO performance leaf pack) The BrOverlanders are a decent value compromise, as they have an overload, once you hit 400# they increase the spring rate dramatically and should squat less than a +400# pack with more thinner leafs when overloaded. They do sacrifice some ride quality and articulation though. Many people run a 700# OME pack and just deal with rake and a stiff ride when lightly loaded.

I don't plan anything different, but will probably have a typical load of around 500-700#. If it doesn't noticably squat I'll stick with just BrOverlanders, a higher rate spring(probably Alcans), or timbrens are on my radar. Air bags would be a choice if I had a more variable load.

Since you already have air bags I'd get a budget leaf pack with many leafs or stick with the stock springs. Maybe even a multi leaf add a leaf. With daystar cradles to help with articulation.

sideburns

Had the camper installed today, took about 7 hours because they custom build/fit the lower section of the barn doors day of. Otherwise it's a much shorter install you can probably do yourself. Started getting my rearview camera install going this afternoon, will finish it tomorrow. Will wire up the fan and third brake light tomorrow. Then off to the hills to break it in, hot here tomorrow, so I'm going to stay up in the hills near Flagstaff before I head to lower elevations. Here's a photo to tide you over, glamor shots all next week. My instagram is @slowtruckfastcabin and will probably be loaded with photos.
20210505_152339.jpg

Looks slick. At this point I wish I had gone with OVRLND instead of Vagabond because I would have had it already! Out of all the options out there, what made you choose them?

sideburns

Looks slick. At this point I wish I had gone with OVRLND instead of Vagabond because I would have had it already! Out of all the options out there, what made you choose them?
Vertical side walls, full barn doors, and taller cabover option. The camper is 60"+ wide instead of 48" like pretty much every other midsized option. Some full size ones are 54". I prefer barn doors to a hatch. And the taller cabover (10") allows thicker bedding. Wedges don't give you usable cabover space when the bed is pushed out of the way either.

Vertical side walls, full barn doors, and taller cabover option. The camper is 60"+ wide instead of 48" like pretty much every other midsized option. Some full size ones are 54". I prefer barn doors to a hatch. And the taller cabover (10") allows thicker bedding. Wedges don't give you usable cabover space when the bed is pushed out of the way either.

Yeah the vertical walls and pop up does add a lot of volume. Different design concepts I suppose. I remember reading about the decision making process for VO deciding sloped sides and wedge. I think the sloped sides was because on their previous vertical sides campers they were not clearing as many tight trees and trails without at least cosmetic damage, wedge was stronger or something but don’t quote me on that. I may end up with something else like a project M or ovrlnd if a used one shows up before my Drifter does!

sideburns

Yeah the vertical walls and pop up does add a lot of volume. Different design concepts I suppose. I remember reading about the decision making process for VO deciding sloped sides and wedge. I think the sloped sides was because on their previous vertical sides campers they were not clearing as many tight trees and trails without at least cosmetic damage, wedge was stronger or something but don’t quote me on that. I may end up with something else like a project M or ovrlnd if a used one shows up before my Drifter does!
Yeah, I drove through some tight trees today, had to fold my tow mirror on one side. ******** turn radius doesn't help, not the bike rack on the back. Camper was 6" from hitting as I swayed a bit over ruts/roots, even through the mirror was 8-10" away and tires 12"+. My full size dodge wouldn't have cleared it without a three point turn. There is always going to be somewhere you can't fit though, doesn't matter what you drive. I feel like it's usually the last mile that's the worst, that's what I have a bike and hiking boots for. Lots of tight over grown stuff around Idaho just gets gated as a 50" road, so you aren't taking anything on it but a motorcycle/ATV/bike. A sloped wall that matches the cab profile is definitely more aerodynamic and easier to squeeze through tight spots though. I do wonder how often it would make a difference. And the extra room is nice every night/rainy day you spend in it.

I think wedges are stronger because the single hinge is short and wide. While on a flat top popup you have three hinges on each end, would get super heavy to make them as strong as a single hinge. And you lose some precision with each hinge, so it can move around a bit more.

Hope my high speed gas mileage doesn't take too much of a hit. Got 16-18mpg at up to 80mph between Boise and Salt Lake on the way to Flagstaff. I have a feeling that won't be the case anymore, I can hear the wind/road noise bouncing off that flat wall sticking out past each side of the cab, I guess I can always slow down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles