In search of new adventure vehicle for family of 4 and a couple of pups.

rcintx

Adventurer
I am in search of a new travel vehicle for the family. My 5 year old and 10 year old are getting bigger and we have added a large pup this year. Current family vehicle is a 2012 Dodge Durango that has treated us great but needs to be a little bigger and have a few less miles on it. I think it is time to replace. Our trips consist of anything from a day trip to local state parks, weekend getaways in the mountains (4-5 hours away) or weeks at the beach (9 hours away). We need something easy to drive that is comfortable for all of us.

Soft-requirements:
Seat 5 or more. (2 adults, 2 kids, pups, and occasionally kids friends)
4WD or AWD (no hardcare offroading. Ski mountains, fly fishing forest service roads, etc)
Room for camping gear, fishing gear, skiing gear, or whatever that weekend brings.
Ability to pull a 5000lb camper

My personal choice from internet research would be a Ford Transit medium roof with all but the first 5 seats pulled out. I think it would be perfect (wife may not be completely onboard with a van). However these things are unobtanium at the moment and I have been unable to see one in person. I would have to order to get one and wait a few months. I have no aspirations of living a true #vanlife but I think the Transits make excellent weekend warrior rigs. Of course the typical family mobile in my AO is a Tahoe or Suburban. Their price tag scares me. What else should I be looking at? What am I not thinking? Should I order a Transit from Ford and hope for the best?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What's your budget? That's pretty crucial to know. With enough money you can get anything you want. IIRC AWD Transits start in the ~$42k range.

rcintx

Adventurer
What's your budget? That's pretty crucial to know. With enough money you can get anything you want. IIRC AWD Transits start in the ~$42k range.
I would say $50-$55k is top end. I've priced a few transits out on the Ford site and it looks like thats where I would end up. I've seen a lot of vehicles in the 65 to 70k range and that just blows my mind. I am certainly not against used but the used market seems just as high right now.
Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon / XL, Expedition / EL, Sequoia, Armada... Maybe a Telluride?
I forget about the Nissan and Kia's I'll have to take look at them again. Thanks for the reminder.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I would definitely go the Yukon/Tahoe route. Lots of used mall crawler soccer mom ones out there that never saw a dirt road. And will leave some additional $ for upgrades/camping gear. They are fine for FS road and moderate/light four wheeling. Ours was perfect for a family of 3 and a dog for camping etc. Good luck!

skrypj

I would say $50-$55k is top end. I've priced a few transits out on the Ford site and it looks like thats where I would end up. I've seen a lot of vehicles in the 65 to 70k range and that just blows my mind. I am certainly not against used but the used market seems just as high right now.

I forget about the Nissan and Kia's I'll have to take look at them again. Thanks for the reminder.

Everything is high right now. It is not a great time to buy new or used. Dealers don't have great new inventory, so they arn't dealing, and the used market is inflated because the new market is.

billiebob

Sounds like you have the 5K# trailer already and just need a new tow rig, family wagon.

I'd only consider a van if I was doing it all without a trailer.
How about a diesel Excursion. Hard to get much bigger or 5K# trailer capable.
I'd go either Excursion or Suburban. No point considering a Tahoe if you want more space than a Durango.

Plenty of both on the used market.

Then theres the short box quad cab pickup which lets you pack bicycles and a BBQ plus the dog could have a platform/bed across the front of the box.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
X2 on either an Excursion or Suburban. For me the 2000 to 2006 Tahoe / Suburban were the last of the true truck - like Chevrolet SUVs with real metal bumpers front and rear, so I am a little biased towards them. That said I got to drive an Excursion as a rental vehicle years ago and was very impressed at the cargo capacity and overall offroad ability just as is from the dealer. Probably could find something for a reasonable price, especially if you are willing to shop nationwide and go buy from a regional auction or dealer and drive it home.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
7.3 diesel of 6.8l gas excursion. I'm amazed at how much cargo they can handle (and comfortably seat 3 kids in car seats across)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I replaced my 06 Sequoia with a 2019 Expedition yeah it was $82,000 with taxes! Heavy tow pack Platinum loaded. Sticker was $85,000 got it for far less. It does car duties and truck duty well. Gets decent mileage in every day stuff. Will be driving it for 12+ yrs assuming nothing happens to it.
The older GM twins would be my choice for used lower cost options. Though GM has issues with the cams on the older 6L. So watch out for that. 5.3 is safest for few issues etc.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A full size crew-cab truck with a topper will pull your trailer with ease and should be able to accommodate 2 adults and 2 growing kids.

Excursions are nice but they're old tech and the ones you find will likely have lots of miles. The "newest" Excursion is now 15 years old (2006.) I'm amazed at the improvement in engines and transmissions in just the last 10 years.

Everybody likes to say 'old trucks are better' - except, of course, the person who is driving that old POS day in and day out and waiting for something else to fail. Take it from the guy who burned up two transmissions in an old tech Suburban (2004), the newer ones are better, especially if you are towing through the mountains.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I second the Telluride recommendation.

Can tow 5,000 lbs.
Can hold your family and gear (maybe with a roof pod too).
Is significantly less in price than a Suburban, etc. so it fits your budget
Has great reviews and a good warranty

And most importantly perhaps, your wife will enjoy driving it more than a truck or van.

If has prices are an issue with you, be careful to check into which of the recco’s require premium fuel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles