Continental MPT81 on Non-Beadlock wheels?

Currently trying to plan out my tire setup for my near-future expedition vehicle. Theres a million different routes that I can go for tires and I was kicking around the idea of doing a dually setup.

Now I know theres a lot of argument about whether or not its the best option and I'd prefer to prevent this thread from getting into that discussion, but I was wondering if the MPT81 can be used on standard consumer wheels rather than military style bead locks? I know most of the options are Tubeless and they advertise many pictures of them on non-beadlock wheels, but I wasn't sure if there was a different style bead for commercial and/or military applications?

cjken

Explorer
I’m not running headlocks on mine. I did not see any reason for the extra weight. That said, I am not sure how much I can air them down safely. I’m hoping I can get down to around 20 psi for sand.
812adc66264a7de02d9d0fc196145cfb.jpg

I’m not running headlocks on mine. I did not see any reason for the extra weight. That said, I am not sure how much I can air them down safely. I’m hoping I can get down to around 20 psi for sand.
812adc66264a7de02d9d0fc196145cfb.jpg
might be a dumb question but what are those extra bolts on the face of the wheel for? Does it just allow you to mount and dismount the tires without a machine?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
but I wasn't sure if there was a different style bead for commercial and/or military applications?
The bead profile of the MPTs, XZLs, etc is not compatible with 'consumer rims'. Some people have had the rims machined to get the profile to match (successfully???).
The 2 piece 'military rims' can have beadlock inserts or runflat inserts, but neither is 'required'.
Be advised that most of the commercial/military rims are rated at 12,500 lbs ++, while many consumer rims are rated in the <4000 lb range.
I am assuming that by consumer rim, you mean something like this?
consumer.jpg

Last edited:
The bead profile of the MPTs, XZLs, etc is not compatible with 'consumer rims'. Some people have had the rims machined to get the profile to match (successfully???).
Be advised that most of the commercial/military rims are rated at 12,500 lbs ++, while many consumer rims are rated in the <4000 lb range.
I am assuming that by consumer rim, you mean something like this?
View attachment 657263

Yup something like that. I would go with something much less flashy/ugly but yes thats what I meant by consumer. I'm looking at a vehicle thats 10x285.75mm lug pattern and was trying to figure out how I could do a 20" dually setup in the rear.

I'm not dead set on a dually config, but I'd like to have the option and was considering dual 10.5 wide MPT81s in the rear.

Is there any way to run a 20" dually rear configuration with "military style" (MPT, XZL, MVT) tires? I noticed that Goodyear advertises their G272 MSA and G386 MSA (both 12.00R20) in dual configurations so I figured it has to be possible.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Those 12.00R20 are rated at 8,230 lbs each, so 33,000 lbs for just the rear axle with 'dually'. What is the rig that needs that?

Is there any way to run a 20" dually rear configuration
My experience is limited to MB LKW trucks, but 99% (Joe's is the only one I know of that had uber-kühl super-singles from the factory) of them started life as dual rear wheels, which everyone scraps for super single. So somewhere there is an 'elephant gravel yard' of dual wheels?
wheelss.jpg
Factory wheel specs - 10 stud, 20 inch rim, 335mm (13.188') pitch circle, 280 (283mm) mm hub bore (pilot) (11.14) (Hub centric)

Last edited:
Those 12.00R20 are rated at 8,230 lbs each, so 33,000 lbs for just the rear axle with 'dually'. What is the rig that needs that?

I dont need 33k capacity, moreso just trying to figure out how someone would run a dual rear setup with 20" military tires, considering all commercial wheelsets I've found are 19.5 or 22.5, and I havent seen any military style wheels that allow for dual configuration.

Is there any way to run a 20" dually rear configuration
My experience is limited to MB LKW trucks, but 99% (Joe's is the only one I know of that had uber-kühl super-singles from the factory) of them started life as dual rear wheels, which everyone scraps for super single. So somewhere there is an 'elephant gravel yard' of dual wheels?
View attachment 657287
Factory wheel specs - 10 stud, 20 inch rim, 335mm (13.188') pitch circle, 280 (283mm) mm hub bore (pilot) (11.14) (Hub centric)

I've always been curious as to why so many people are so adamant about switching to singles. I've been following closely with the international 7400 and super custom pop top camper build and he had a couple scary blow outs with single rears and went back to 24.5" dual rear wheels. I'd like to keep my sidewall as tall as possible (very loose sand during beach trips) so thats why I'd prefer to go 20" as opposed to 22.5.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
(1) I've always been curious as to why so many people are so adamant about switching to singles.
(2) might be a dumb question but what are those extra bolts on the face of the wheel for? Does it just allow you to mount and dismount the tires without a machine
(1) Even the US military 'switched' to super singles on all of their trucks quite a while ago.
(2) While certainly 'run-flats' and 'bead-locks' can be used with single-piece rims (if designed for that application), you can see from the photos below that the two-piece rim (bolted together-why there are all those 'extra bolts') design lends itself to easier installation of those. And 'easier' in the field changing of tires. Don't be confused by many current consumer rims that have 'phony' bolts that are going for the 'rugged' bolt together rim look. These are all heavy rims (in 20"). Even without any inserts (bead-lock, or run-flat), they weigh at least 84 lbs in aluminum and can go over 200+ lbs in steel with run-flats.
2PieceBeadlock.gif

Run-flat inserts
Runflat-International-slider-products.png
3-hutchinson.jpg

OK. The Mercedes Zetros in its’ most mega HD configuration like the 6x6 3643 and 4043 comes with dual 14.00R20 XZLs on the rear 2 axles. Also 360-400hp and 16 speed transmission.
It’s used as a tractor unit for main battle tank transport, on sand for instance.
It would be wasteful, expensive and idiotic to use one as a base for an RV. For one thing, especially if it’s equipped with CTIS, the duals will “kiss” when deflated from say 100psi road pressure to an otherwise very helpful 20-30 psi on soft sand and mud. I just took pictures yesterday of my 395s at ~30% of road pressure, which is essential in many stuck situations. Not good for the sidewalls if dualed.
Why buy a tire like a MPT81 if you’re not going to use it for what it’s designed to do?
Looks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles