Installing a side case on a LR3/4

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Dose intone know if there is a write up to install a pelican case on the side of an LR3/4 like this???
0A20CA58-E934-4500-8024-E7950D0B5490.jpeg

krick3tt

Adventurer
edit: How would you fasten it? Screwing it to the side of the vehicle will cause many problems. It covers the antenna for reception of the radio. The pic shows it on the co-driver side not driver side. Blocks the view to the rear. Is there not room inside?
why not fasten it below the window?
Not thinking of the 'cool' factor that the new defender has.

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I watched the video and was impressed with the way the rail was installed and the possibility of additional items that might be added in future. Possibly another Rotopak. Although I would be a bit concerned with vibration.
I installed a snorkle to my LR and drilling into the side of the vehicle was almost painful. Marring the vehicle with holes was most difficult. Whacking it on a rock has not seemed so bad.

umbertob

Adventurer
Powerful UK may already be working on a "MOLLE" aluminum plate for LR3/4, similar to the one they recently designed for the new Defender. Only issue I see is that the Defender already comes with receptacles for the mounting bolts and spacers under the trim below the rear windows (which are used for ladders and lunch boxes), LR3 and 4 probably don't. It's very sturdy, lightweight and closely hugs the bodywork. Zero wind noise (unless you hang stuff on it), and Rotopax / Maxtraxx mounts are apparently coming soon.

20210422_172654.jpg
20210422_172725.jpg
20210422_172715.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Powerful UK may already be working on a "MOLLE" aluminum plate for LR3/4, similar to the one they recently designed for the new Defender. Only issue I see is that the Defender already comes with receptacles for the mounting bolts and spacers under the trim below the rear windows (which are used for ladders and lunch boxes), LR3 and 4 probably don't. It's very sturdy, lightweight and closely hugs the bodywork. Zero wind noise (unless you hang stuff on it), and Rotopax / Maxtraxx mounts are apparently coming soon.

Nothing a Drill and some nutserts can fix! :D

krick3tt

Adventurer
Really curious as to how that device does not create wind noise.

Thinking about the box that fits where the window goes, like I have seen on several Jeeps. Now that is something I could see adding to my LR3. Nobody sits in the back as I removed the third row seats for a FR shelf/drawer system.
When someone comes up with that idea I would be onboard.

umbertob

Adventurer
Really curious as to how that device does not create wind noise.

Without anything attached to it, none. It's a 3 mm thick aluminum "blade" facing the wind, and I'm sure it also helps that it's installed on the opposite corner of the car (opposite to my ears...) Whatever noise it generates, if any, is inaudible over the muted drone of the Duratracs and hum of the engine at highway speeds.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Not a stupid idea, the box (it is not very deep) goes inside the window space with a locking door that allows access from the outside. It is not attached to the outside of the LR. It replaces the window. Perhaps you have not seen the idea used in any vehicle and hence your ridicule of the concept.

protohyp

Adventurer
Dose intone know if there is a write up to install a pelican case on the side of an LR3/4 like this???
View attachment 656573
Check out LR Time on YouTube. THey're German and totally entertaining. They did an install video. Also you can check the ones we put on my GF's LR3. No install how to but you just have to get creative.
534b8fd6d772d7a64987f9665da90386.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles