Sawtooth Unlimited - Off Road Pop Top Camper Trailer

stomperxj

Explorer
That form as it sits is for the roof panel which is the last laminated panel I need to make. Then after that is done, the positive for the fiberglass pop top roof is built on top of that. See below:

1609871533576.png
1609871611836.png

ITTOG

It is looking good. I am sure getting the lights working felt good. I haven't even thought about my electrical yet.

how did you make the roof form? I assume that was a brad gun but I couldn't tell for sure if the cross boards were offset or not.

stomperxj

Explorer
It is looking good. I am sure getting the lights working felt good. I haven't even thought about my electrical yet.

how did you make the roof form? I assume that was a brad gun but I couldn't tell for sure if the cross boards were offset or not.

Thanks. Yes seeing lights working is pretty satisfying :) The form is all 1/2" plywood and I used a stapler to fasten everything to the table. I didn't offset anything although my measurement was off on one side of the form so I missed the edge of the plywood so its unsupported. Should be ok. It won't have a ton of pressure on it.

opp

Observer
a bit late when you planned your walls . Why did you not use liquid nails fiberglass adhesive over epoxy ?

stomperxj

Explorer
a bit late when you planned your walls . Why did you not use liquid nails fiberglass adhesive over epoxy ?

Liquid Nails is a consumer grade product, it's very high viscosity (300,000 CPS) which means it would be a huge pain to spread out and has a shear strength of about 275psi. Epoxy has a viscosity of about 250-500 CPS so it spreads way easier and soaks into sanded xps quite well and also has a very high tensile strength, about 7000psi.

ITTOG

It is good to see you back and I didn't see any mistake. ;) I look forward to another season of building.

I agree with you on the wood. I had to by about 100 ft2 of plywood and ten 2x4's and it was outrageous.

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
It is good to see you back and I didn't see any mistake. ;) I look forward to another season of building.

I agree with you on the wood. I had to by about 100 ft2 of plywood and ten 2x4's and it was outrages.

Thanks :) I added it up last night and its only about $300 for the wood I need so that is somewhat bearable. Just dislike buying new material strictly to throw away after use but it's all part of the game I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles