Have you made your own DIY propane hose for a camp stove?

alia176

Explorer
Just curious if it's easy to make a hose that replaces the typical 1lb hose adapter? Is the threaded portion (circled in red) a standard thread of some sort?

1618837457478.png

I see that Camp Chef has something like this.
1618837713690.png

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve been using the camp chef one you pictured with good results. I wish it was about 12” longer for better bottle placement, but it works nicely.

skyfree

Will follow this as I have the same question. I tried to use one I found on Amazon for my GSI Selkirk 540 Camp Stove which was made for a Blackstone Tabletop Camper Grill, but the regulator wasn't compatible and it would only run with a very low flame.

Also, the brass portion that screws into the stove is a different shape than say a Coleman for example. The threads are the same, but it doesn't fit right with the same sort of seal.

I ended up going with a simple hose that has a 1 lb propane bottle male adapter that the existing brass regulator assembly can screw into. These are easy to find and it works exactly the same as it does with a 1 lb bottle screwed in.

I would love to find a proper adapter/regulator that I could use though, because the included brass one sticks out too far, even after I (carefully with the proper tools) bent it in for a 90-degree angle.

shoredreamer

Observer
I sourced all quick connect fittings for my hose going from the 5lb tank to my stove or bbq. It’s quick and lessens wear and tear on threads.

alia176

Explorer
I sourced all quick connect fittings for my hose going from the 5lb tank to my stove or bbq. It’s quick and lessens wear and tear on threads.

I love this idea but that means I'd have to change one end of my 6' hose that is meant to mimic a 1# bottle into a QD (quick disconnect). Which would mean that I lose the "universality" of this hose for connecting to other camp stoves but may not be a huge deal once I make the switch to this concept.

Secondly, I'd have to screw in the other half of the QD to the side of the stove and it'll stick out a little bit but no biggy.

Thirdly, what are we doing about the pressure reg that comes at the end of these rigid angular pipe thing that you screw in a 1# bottle into?

I'd love to see pics/links as well. Thank you, it's a great idea.

slomatt

Adventurer
Coincidentally I've been looking for something similar to replace the rigid regulator on my Camp Chef Everest stove. Currently the propane bottle hangs off of the rigid regulator, and I'm worried it is going to bend the attachment point at the stove. I've been considering cutting the rigid pipe in half, flaring both ends, and putting a piece of hose in the middle.

Pappy

I’ve been using the camp chef one you pictured with good results. I wish it was about 12” longer for better bottle placement, but it works nicely.
Getting it made with a longer hose should not be a problem. Any hose shop should be able to cut the ferrules off the fitting, and the regulator, and install new ferrules with the hose length of your choice. I just had my Partner Steel stove hose lengthened. Different deal, but same idea.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I think @Pappy has a decent idea here. Any local hydraulic or hose shop should be able to crimp new ferrules on a hose. In addition, most large propane suppliers will make hoses too. There is a local Parker store that can probably make something, but they are proud of it.

I’ve seen that photo before, attached to similar claims that it was caused by a gas explosion. I call internet BS on that one. The photo evidence doesn’t match what one would expect from that type of explosion, and the photo taken in a junkyard makes it far too suspicious. I’d have to see proof from a reputable news source, I take pictures of all sorts of mutilated cars in junkyards and you could tell crazy stories for weeks to explain them.

In any event, the hoses we are talking about are removed from the tank with each use, and most of the purchased crap we get from the usual suspects doesn’t have a random failure rate any better than you could do with a Parker crimp machine anyway. I would be more worried about the tank leaking after removing the hose than anything else leaking in storage.

Alloy

Call Fairview.

If it can be done they'll do it.

If it can't be done they tell you why.

Alloy

I would be more worried about the tank leaking after removing the hose than anything else leaking in storage.

My buddy lost 3 x 40lbs tanks of propane from around the crimp until he stopped buying offshore hoses from RV dealers.

One of our trailers we bought brand new had leaking propane hoses.

alia176

Explorer
Make your own, unless you are a gas fitter is it worth the risk, just buy what you need.

View attachment 656619

I recall that pic and it happened because one of the OxyAcet bottle wasn't fully closed AND there wasn't a protective valve cap on that bottle. This was a Darwin move, glad he didn't get killed.

Making these hoses with the right crimp on ferrule is trivial and don't need a shop to do it necessarily. The max pressure is 10 psi from a high press regulator and the low pressure hose is probably around 1/2 psi or some such thing. Explosions happen when propane pools up, which can happen if you don't shut the tank valve off correctly, regardless of what kind of a propane DIY hose you made for your camping stove.

from google:

Herein, what is the PSI of a low pressure propane regulator? The typical high pressure regulator is set around 10 PSI. Low Pressure LP is rated in inches of water column (in WC). The typical rating for low pressure LP is around 10.5 - 11 inches WC.

Pappy

Just curious if it's easy to make a hose that replaces the typical 1lb hose adapter? Is the threaded portion (circled in red) a standard thread of some sort?

I see that Camp Chef has something like this.
Geez, I didn't realize who made this post. My apologies Ash. Go to Action Hose on Stanford, off Candelaria. They should be able to set you up.

Nailhead

I go to Propane Warehouse for parts like this. Good prices & selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles