Printing Avenza TOPO maps

mrising

The maps are protected so that sharing and printing are not permitted. The idea is that if you want a paper copy you'd have to order it from the publisher.
The Avenza system is for digital maps only. Its kind of like iTunes is for music, ie. you cannot order a CD from Apple and although I've never tried, it is probably not easy or possible to create a CD from music downloaded via iTunes.

I like using Avenza. Is there a way to print the maps?

DaveM

Explorer
As a publisher on Avenza Maps, I'm always open to being contacted for print copies from users. But, I'm not sure most folks will want a one-off copy given the cost to print and the quality of the materials (through services like Zazzle etc.).

Richardse

Love Avenza maps, but the cost mentioned seems too high to have them printed in good quality. The only thing I have found to be affordable enough is printing them on a canvas frame with a company here in Australia. It's impressive that it cost less to print them on a canvas with frameshop.com.au rather than having them printed on simple paper in the print shop. I mean with these guys you just get to do a custom order and you have it shipped within a week. If you want such a good option to print the mobs when you can try it as well.

Last edited:

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Love Avenza maps, but the cost like mentioned seems too high to have them printed in good quality.
I have one customer that runs a guide service that has his maps printed though me. Some maps he buys directly though me. Other maps, he creates though CalTopo and then sends me the pdf link though the purchase option. I then download the map link, print and ship. He typically wants the maps printed on the DuPont Tyvek option which offers a very hardy map!

pith helmet

I print good quality topos from OnX regularly. I also use MapRight for my work maps, but it’s really pricey.

pluton

Adventurer
I have one customer that runs a guide service that has his maps printed though me.... I then download the map link, print and ship. He typically wants the maps printed on the DuPont Tyvek option which offers a very hardy map!
What printer(s) are you using? Can you recommend a certain printer model for printing maps? I noticed that Epson makes a 24" capable printer for about $800. Of course, there are higher/more expensive ones as well. I have an Epson "professional" photo printer at home, but it is limited to 17" max.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
What printer(s) are you using? Can you recommend a certain printer model for printing maps? I noticed that Epson makes a 24" capable printer for about $800. Of course, there are higher/more expensive ones as well. I have an Epson "professional" photo printer at home, but it is limited to 17" max.
I use a 24" HP that is no longer in production. Printers are a odd purchase for most owners. They are very, and I mean very, expensive option. Generally, you need to purchase the type that takes more than the standard CMYK inks. Mine, for instance, takes 8. CMYK and a few "photo" colors as well. And if you thought that regular ink was expensive....oh boy! These are also not the type that respond well to generic ink or refills.

Internal print settings is something that you would have to look into. Not all printers will print on all paper types.

Also, you would need to make sure it comes with the stand. And in addition to that, you have to figure on actual size. Even though it has a printing area of 24 inches, the actual printer is much larger than that.

Paper is also another big deal. A roll of Tyvek is a few hundred bucks.

I had a 44 inch, 300 pound, Canon in the past and sold it because it was a ink hog. It would do a self cleaning cycle every X amount of prints and would just blast though all my inks. That unit took 12 and the ink tanks were 700 ml (think whisky bottle here). But it made the most awesome prints. Art gallery worthy. When this HP is a little bit older, I'm going to go with Canon again, just a little bit lesser of a model since that one was a too much for what I need.

So now that I have done a through job of dissuading your from buying one, you should just purchase maps from me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles