D1 Door Weather Strips / Seals

C. Pontes

I'm wanting to make my own replacement weather strips/seals for the doors of my 1998 D1. Does anyone have a link to the appropriately sized seals that they have used to make their own? Presumably, you can purchase the weather stripping in bulk...

Thanks,
Casey

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
I'm wanting to make my own replacement weather strips/seals for the doors of my 1998 D1. Does anyone have a link to the appropriately sized seals that they have used to make their own? Presumably, you can purchase the weather stripping in bulk...

Thanks,
Casey
Make your own, or use already available seals meant for another application?

There are all sorts of ready-made automotive door seals available for a wide variety of vehicles that grip firmly onto door edging, with top or side bulbs (the part that helps seal against air and dust). Many meant for one vehicle will work perfectly for another. It's a matter of measuring and knowing what you need.

Figure the dims of your door edge thickness and bulb needs to seal appropriately; choose whether you need top bulb or side bulb; then choose the right depth of edge grip and thickness of bulb seal for your needs: Automotive Door Seals

Good luck, and let us know what you did for your 98 D1, so others can benefit from your experience.

bri

Adventurer
From everything that I have read, making your own is not as easy as it sounds. Most people go with D2 and deal with hard to shut doors. I am about ready to try this myself.

There is a long thread on discoweb about seals and a guy went so far as to make some, but I think he may have failed. www.lrseal.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles