2014 G550 expedition build

RobMBush

Thor springs have been pulled and replaced with ORC heavy version on My G500 05! Made a world of difference in drivability. Front only dropped about .5" vs the Thor springs and is still a hair high compared to the rear but its perfect when the front winch is mounted. Rear maintained about the same height. Truck is mostly loaded in the rear with the heavy VTS bumper and loaded out frontrunner drawer box.

If anyone wants a set of Thor springs I'm happy to sell them at fire sale prices!! Would have probably been fine on my rig if I had a permanent winch and heavy brush guard/bumper setup.

PXL_20210122_205103144 (2).jpg

MKK993

Updated springs to ORC heavy duty. Similar lift and ride to OE with 45mm spacers but I should have better suspension travel!

View attachment 606783
Great looking build! I'm also planning to install the ORC springs on my 2008. I see you installed yours with the black, anti-vibration tubes at either end. Did these come with the springs, or did you purchase them separately? If so, where did you source them?

RobMBush

Great looking build! I'm also planning to install the ORC springs on my 2008. I see you installed yours with the black, anti-vibration tubes at either end. Did these come with the springs, or did you purchase them separately? If so, where did you source them?

OE mercedes spring tubes. With some WD 40, a heat gun and a pry bar they can be worked onto the ORC springs. I found that it gets rid of the spring chatter at low speeds and turning that I had previously running aftermarket springs without the tubes. No tubs on the rears but no chatter.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
OE mercedes spring tubes. With some WD 40, a heat gun and a pry bar they can be worked onto the ORC springs. I found that it gets rid of the spring chatter at low speeds and turning that I had previously running aftermarket springs without the tubes. No tubs on the rears but no chatter.

Ditto. IIRC I used Windex or the like, and finally got them to slip on with some force.

sdw

OK, what is that license plate bracket thing on your steel rear bumper? I lost the plastic one that came on mine (apparently that's OEM?) in off-roading and it's been a weird zip tie and screw affair since.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
OK, what is that license plate bracket thing on your steel rear bumper? I lost the plastic one that came on mine (apparently that's OEM?) in off-roading and it's been a weird zip tie and screw affair since.

Factory metal license plate holder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles