badm0t0rfinger's 2014 Raptor build

Augster

After a few weeks of debating what way I wanted to get with on board air, I decided to go with an air tank. Partially due to comfort level with it, and cost. Originally I had considered going to full onboard air like I had on my Jeep, but unlike my Jeep I really didn't have a need to have all the weight on board all the time since my lockers aren't air lockers. Plus cost really wasn't appealing for me, and reasonably I was looking at losing the normal spot for my spare tire. While I normally leave it in my bed these days, I do like having the option to throw it back in the spot if I need the full bed.

msEsK2h.jpg

Just came across your build thread, and saw this post debating between on-board ala ARB vs Power Tank (which won out).

There is room in the engine compartment to fit a dual ARB:

IMG_7863.jpg
IMG_8003.jpg
IMG_7532.jpgIMG_7534.jpgIMG_7584.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Just came across your build thread, and saw this post debating between on-board ala ARB vs Power Tank (which won out).

There is room in the engine compartment to fit a dual ARB:

View attachment 649773
View attachment 649776
View attachment 649772View attachment 649774View attachment 649775

Thats a brilliant setup! ... its also right where my catch can is :/

I'd seriously consider an on board air system in the future. I'd probably tuck it up where the spare tire is.

Augster

Sooooo...you have to remove the compressor to change the spark plugs? Lol

Hehe, I already did mine at 98k (I'm at 109k now) so I gots a little wayz to go!

Seriously though, changing plugs on a 6.2 is not a walk down easy street anyways; I did mine by removing the fender liners and it made it a piece of cake. Don't have to remove the compressor with the liner's removed as I get to the plugs through the fender.

Augster

Thats a brilliant setup! ... its also right where my catch can is :/

I'd seriously consider an on board air system in the future. I'd probably tuck it up where the spare tire is.

I was contemplating a catch can, but they're illegal here in Cali and will fail a visual inspection since it modifies the PCV system.

Now, when I slap on my Whipple, I may think of sneaking it in (driver's side); may make it so I can swap a stocker tube back in during bi-annual smogs...

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I was contemplating a catch can, but they're illegal here in Cali and will fail a visual inspection since it modifies the PCV system.

Now, when I slap on my Whipple, I may think of sneaking it in (driver's side); may make it so I can swap a stocker tube back in during bi-annual smogs...

I am in California. Would you like a contact with smog inspector?

Seriously though, changing plugs on a 6.2 is not a walk down easy street anyways.

I'd rather get a root canal without anesthesia.

It's worse than doing the coil pack on a D2 and that's dreadful.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Ive been swamped lately at work, I was basically pushing a det out even though I wasn't going myself. Finally get the next few days off so I started off by giving my ski a good wash. I wash it down after each run but thats just some fresh water mixed with a bit of salt away, not really a proper clean and wax.

r56ZKiy.jpg

gPICQ6i.jpg

I'm at 8.1 hours in, so still a good afternoon away from needing to do the first oil change. Per the manual they don't require it until 100 hours but between my own experience and what I've been looking at is that first oil change should be at 10 hours to get any gunk in there and then about every 50 hours after that. I know this isn't a build thread for the ski and you guys probably don't care as much but I have a few little adventures planned that I think keep in the spirit of this website.

Moving onto the truck. I've run into some shipping issues again; I ordered a skid plate for the rear differential after smashing it on a rock while out in Berdoo Canyon on my way into Joshua Tree... I had to give way on the trail and it set me up on a bad line and ran right into like a dummy. Anyways, I ordered it with some custom powder coating and the long and short of it is they didn't have that color right then so I could pick another or wait... I chose to wait for now.

I also decided to upgrade my steering reservoir system with a GJ Motorsports oversized reservoir with filter and cooler. I haven't had any issues with my power steering (yet) but that is a weak spot for these trucks (Raptors in particular but F150s as the wheel/tire size increases). I'm hoping this is an ounce of prevention to prevent a pound of repair. I actually will probably be going to a lighter setup [of unsprung weight] once these tires wear out. I put the order in about 2 weeks ago but unfortunately that has been delayed as well. I wish I was posting with more tangible progress but thats kind of where I'm at right now.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Ain't nothing available inna timely or affordable fashion. Or available, period
Is there a severe service interval for jet skis?

It just seems like anything thats vaguely custom is still taking weeks on end to get. I'm not complaining, its a huge improvement from the 3+ months it took last year.

The owners manual has instructions operational recommendations for running in fresh and salt water, but other than that it just has the normal 100/200/300 hour recommendations. I'm going to do the oil change at 10 hours just to get any of the crap from the break in (which these engines actually have) out of there. If there are any shavings I want to see it NOW and not have it flowing through the engine for the following 90 hours after the break in. Even the dealership (who I assume would want to make money off me) said that seemed like overkill. Oh well I got all the stuff I need from here on out to do it myself. I also found the oil requirements is met by an oil about half the price than the rotax brand oil.

ITTOG

Unless things have changed the 10 hour service is more than just an oil change. Unless maybe yours isn't supercharged. Mine had a special break in oil so I changed oil with a flush oil and ran it for an hour and then changed oil again. I did not have to do the flush but was babying it at that time.

Also oil is changed annually so not 100/200/... You probably know this but wanted to make sure.

Mine are now 14 years old and still run like new. Proper care and they run forever.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke