GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

drsmonkey

Observer
Got the 4.11 gearing. Driving up 80 from Reno to Truckee and seems to be nearly perfect. Only downshifted twice from drive 2 times while maintaining 70. I agree with your assessment that 4.56 gearing would likely be too low for interstate cruising. My problem now is that the speedometer is 10mph too fast. I looked into the Hypertech 752501 and looks like it's for Chrysler vehicles? The 732501 is for GM but still unable to confirm it works on a 2014 GMC Savana. Any input would be appreciated.
I must have mistyped, sorry about that, changed my previous post with correct number; 732501, thanks.

When I looked it up I was only looking at my year (2008) it never occurred to me that it might be any different for a newer one. On the Hypertech site that one is listed only for up to 2009 and their finder doesn't list a tuner for 2010-2014. I'd try calling Hypertech and make sure it isn't just a mistake on the website.

Otherwise HP tuners might be the best bet. I'd call around to drag, hot rod, and offroad shops that tune LS's and one of them should be able to fix you up in less than 15 minutes.
There has got to be a shop using HPtuners in Reno.

truckee travelers

I must have mistyped, sorry about that, changed my previous post with correct number; 732501, thanks.

When I looked it up I was only looking at my year (2008) it never occurred to me that it might be any different for a newer one. On the Hypertech site that one is listed only for up to 2009 and their finder doesn't list a tuner for 2010-2014. I'd try calling Hypertech and make sure it isn't just a mistake on the website.

Otherwise HP tuners might be the best bet. I'd call around to drag, hot rod, and offroad shops that tune LS's and one of them should be able to fix you up in less than 15 minutes.
There has got to be a shop using HPtuners in Reno.
Thanks. Called Hypertech and they only support 2008 or older. Good idea on calling around, after the re-gear I'm having trouble with the idea of spending another $400 plus for a tuner but will check out the HP.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
The springs from a suburban are clearly the most popular choice for our lifted vans. I have 3” lift blocks on stock springs now. My ride height and my ride quality seems ok but I feel like I’m supposed to upgrade to the suburban springs like everyone else.

I haven’t seen anyone use the Hellwig helper springs. They seem like a viable option to adding additional spring capacity, any thoughts from a suspension expert? Hellwig makes great products so I trust them for excellent quality.

Part number 61609

Last edited:

TeleSteve

Adventurer
The springs from a suburban are clearly the most popular choice for our lifted vans. I have 3” lift blocks on stock springs now. My ride height and my ride quality seems ok but I feel like I’m supposed to upgrade to the suburban springs like everyone else.

I haven’t seen anyone use the Hellwig helper springs. They seem like a viable option to adding additional spring capacity, any thoughts from a suspension expert? Hellwig makes great products so I trust them for excellent quality.

Part number 61609

No experience with the Hellwig helper springs, but I found a set of add-a-leaves that have been sitting around waiting to be installed to the factory packs. Someday I will get around to installing them to see how they work. I'm not a fan of the stiff overload springs that the Suburban packs use, especially for a vehicle that is almost always loaded the same.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist

Part number 61609

I see no need to change your springs if you are happy with the way it rides. My van is so heavy that the stiffer springs were an improvement.

I'm sure someone smarter then me could frankenstein together a better spring pack for our vans without the heavy overload spring the suburban pack uses. It would be a relatively simple task if you had access to a couple stock spring packs of the correct width.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I ordered the helper springs and a sway bar from Hellwig today. Everything is on back order for a while. I’ll update my build thread when I get them.

I also ordered a 2” lift block set. I’m thinking that swapping the 3” block for the 2” block then installing the helper springs will put me at nearly the same ride height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevets

I hope these couple pics come through! First is Salmon River in Id, second is southern Utah.
I'll say again that I love this van! It's been so dependable. capable and comfortable I almost could not ask for more. It should be noted that I'm almost 60 so the cars I grew up with were really glorified tractors ?

I've noticed that the oil pressure, as indicated by the dash gauge, has been dropping. I'm at about 130000 miles and have replaced the oil pressure sensor - the screen filter below the sensor was apparently removed by the previous owner. I've got the 5.3 with AWD and the van is a 2013.

Before replacing the oil pump I thought I'd come here and see if anybody's been down this road and might have some advice/insight into this issue.
IMG_0184.JPG2_301684 copy.jpgIMG_0184.JPG2_301684 copy.jpg

marret

I've noticed that the oil pressure, as indicated by the dash gauge, has been dropping. I'm at about 130000 miles and have replaced the oil pressure sensor - the screen filter below the sensor was apparently removed by the previous owner. I've got the 5.3 with AWD and the van is a 2013.

Before replacing the oil pump I thought I'd come here and see if anybody's been down this road and might have some advice/insight into this issue.

So no difference with the new pressure sensor. Have you tried a mechanical gauge to make sure it isn't just the dash gauge?

My understanding is the oil pump pickup tube O ring can become brittle and allow some air that causes a lower reading. If this is the problem, it would be the same with the mechanical gauge as well.

Pabloaguas

Hi, just bought my van! I know this has been discussed a lot already here, but I’m still confused about what front shocks to get with a 2” lift.
Considering the bilsteins in front. Trying to decide wether to use the Bilstein 5100 Monotube 24-186643 with no shock extender or use the Bilstein 4600 Monotube 24-065009 with shock extender. Also... which shock extender to use...365D0869-505C-49AD-8E30-9EC7CF1A4209.jpeg

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Scotty D

I hope these couple pics come through! First is Salmon River in Id, second is southern Utah.
I'll say again that I love this van! It's been so dependable. capable and comfortable I almost could not ask for more. It should be noted that I'm almost 60 so the cars I grew up with were really glorified tractors ?

View attachment 653965View attachment 653966View attachment 653965View attachment 653966
First try an oil change even if you are not due for one
These tiny oil filters get clogged very easily and this shows up as low oil pressure
Next look into the infamous o ring

Oh and I am pretty sure your 5.3 should not have that little screen under the oil pressure sender , that is for engines with the AFM system

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Hi, just bought my van! I know this has been discussed a lot already here, but I’m still confused about what front shocks to get with a 2” lift.
Considering the bilsteins in front. Trying to decide wether to use the Bilstein 5100 Monotube 24-186643 with no shock extender or use the Bilstein 4600 Monotube 24-065009 with shock extender. Also... which shock extender to use...View attachment 654148

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Quoted from @drsmonkey

Front Shocks = DO NOT USE SHOCK EXTENDERS, EVER! Cranking or changing the torsion keys to lift a vehicle does not change the total amount of suspension travel or where the bottom or top of that travel is relative to the shock. Those extensions only limit the amount of shock up-travel available to the shock. This likely will cause the shock to bottom out before the bumpstop, causing broken stuff. This is why the extensions almost always break when used offroad. The OEM shocks will work exactly the same post-lift as they did before. Neither the Bilsteins or the OEM shocks are position sensitive, so lifting does not effect their performance. As long as the shock has the correct OEM spec extended and collapsed lengths they will work. If your shocks are still functional there is no need to change them. When they die, or if you want a stiffer ride then it is worth getting the Bilsteins. The 4600 and 5100 series of Bilsteins only differ in finish and valving. The 5100 are valved more aggressively and will give you a more stiff ride feel.

stevets

IUUI6716.JPG

Oh and I am pretty sure your 5.3 should not have that little screen under the oil pressure sender , that is for engines with the AFM system
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on the screen. Was a bit concerned that someone had already been in there.
The oil change did the trick. With my new pressure sensor it's back up to +/- 40 at idle and 50+ with increased rpm.
I understand that oil wears and all that but I've been using synthetic and did the last change less than 4000 miles ago. It's probably the 6th or 7th change I've done and never had such a drop in pressure. Pooched filter? Some gunk breaking loose? Failing sensor?

BTW - another thing I love about this van is it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that I can shimmy under with no lift or jack and pull off a "no drop spilled" oil change!

Another pic from last year below the Flaming Gorge Dam.

drsmonkey

Observer
Got back from first long trip with the new gearing...huge improvement both on and off road. I have around 2200 miles on the gears now, and so far so good.

Here's a pic all packed up and rolling home, see if you can figure out the spot.

SB21 Rolling.jpg

I was able to cruise comfortably at 75mph at 2100rpm most of the time on the interstates, way less hunting, no abrupt downshifts to 2nd over the passes. So much better.

I only got offroad on anything interesting just a little bit, but it was on a road I have driven twice before. Previous to the gear change there were two spots where if I didn't carry a little speed the converter would stall out. It made for a little bit of an elevated pucker factor previously. This time I could crawl through no problem, and in the spot where the left rear wheel briefly lifts each time my locker engaged much more smoothly and pulled right through with just a tiny bit of front wheel spin. So much more relaxed and controllable.

Now I really want to do the 6l80 swap as 2nd is still to long and starting to wear out. I also had a little bit of ATF leaking out from the bell housing, which makes me think the front input shaft seal is going, which might mean the pump and/or input shaft bushings are not long for this world.

I also need to adjust the calibration a touch, my speedo is showing about 2.5% higher than actual speed right now. It is likely just the slight difference between the actual and spec size of my tires.

skivvie

Has anyone figured out how to attach a Fiamma or Thule retractable awning onto a Sliding side door Savana with a pop top? I have a Sportsmobile top on my 2006 Savana and am looking for some "previous art" if anyone has figured it out.

Also is there a way to search this thread and not just the sub-forum? Thanks!

Scotty D

View attachment 654530

Thanks for the heads up on the screen. Was a bit concerned that someone had already been in there.
The oil change did the trick. With my new pressure sensor it's back up to +/- 40 at idle and 50+ with increased rpm.
I understand that oil wears and all that but I've been using synthetic and did the last change less than 4000 miles ago. It's probably the 6th or 7th change I've done and never had such a drop in pressure. Pooched filter? Some gunk breaking loose? Failing sensor?

BTW - another thing I love about this van is it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that I can shimmy under with no lift or jack and pull off a "no drop spilled" oil change!

Another pic from last year below the Flaming Gorge Dam.
[/QUOTE]

Yes , I believe it is the filters
In particular I have had bad luck with the blue AC delco filters from Amazon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles