Grand Canyoneering

jgaz

Adventurer
Those pictures look so beautiful. I cant wait for this pandemic to die down so I can check the Grand Canyon myself. I've already had plans for it earlier this year but I had to cancel it along with my metal detecting ventures. I'm praying they can find a vaccine soon.
Don’t worry @timdraper90, “our” Canyon has been there for awhile and it will still be there when this madness subsides.
In the meantime here’s a couple more photos to whet your appetite.

EB9D5C74-FC9F-400B-AC8B-A6D680F5A9B1.jpeg

0785E226-C396-4348-9204-27409F17ECAF.jpeg

murice1995

Those pictures look so beautiful. I cant wait for this pandemic to die down so I can check the Grand Canyon myself. I've already had plans for it earlier this year but I had to cancel it along with my metal detecting ventures. I'm praying they can find a vaccine soon.

jgaz

Adventurer
A lot of people are already there.

I was up there 4 days last week doing my volunteer trail patrols due to the fact that the park has been busy and our program’s seasonal rangers don’t start for another 10 days.

About five inches of snow fell below the rim on Tuesday. It hid the existing ice on the trail and made for some slick footing.
542DC1C2-B874-4507-925E-BAABB34C162D.jpeg
D532971A-A92C-48DD-ABDD-C759BE135757.jpeg

Wednesday was still slick and muddy, but clear, sunny and beautiful.
AAC445D8-2040-44BD-9F6C-26BD67D2CB3F.jpeg
The ice and snow made things quite tough early Tuesday but I only saw three! people from the rim down to 1 1/2 rest house. It was like having the canyon to myself.
So quiet.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
The ice and snow made things quite tough early Tuesday but I only saw three! people from the rim down to 1 1/2 rest house. It was like having the canyon to myself.
So quiet.
[/QUOTE]

Last year while the park was closed down they allowed park residents to do day hikes down into the canyon. I was able to get 8 hikes in before it started getting to hot for me. I saw very few other people on those hikes almost all on my way back up since I started hiking early in the morning. The last one I did was on the Hermits and only saw one ranger the whole time. Like you said “so quiet”. The six weeks the park was shut down was so amazing, there was nothing going on at all no shuttle or tour buses, no helicopters or airplanes flying overhead, all construction stopped, a large amount of park employees had left almost no vehicle traffic period. It was “so quiet”, the park was totally relaxed you could see it in the wildlife. I’ve been working here for 8 years and that time will be the highlight of my time here a once in a lifetime event.

jgaz

Adventurer
So quiet.

Last year while the park was closed down they allowed park residents to do day hikes down into the canyon. I was able to get 8 hikes in before it started getting to hot for me. I saw very few other people on those hikes almost all on my way back up since I started hiking early in the morning. The last one I did was on the Hermits and only saw one ranger the whole time. Like you said “so quiet”. The six weeks the park was shut down was so amazing, there was nothing going on at all no shuttle or tour buses, no helicopters or airplanes flying overhead, all construction stopped, a large amount of park employees had left almost no vehicle traffic period. It was “so quiet”, the park was totally relaxed you could see it in the wildlife. I’ve been working here for 8 years and that time will be the highlight of my time here a once in a lifetime event.
[/QUOTE]

I can only imagine.
When I volunteer there I will often make Hermit my last shift.
Sometimes I just want to get away from the hundreds of people on the BA or SK.

STREGA

Explorer

I can only imagine.
[/QUOTE]

This spring has been a mob scene at both BA and SK trails. Hermit’s is a lot busier than I have ever seen it also, hauled a bunch of hikers up their yesterday.

jgaz

Adventurer
I can only imagine.

This spring has been a mob scene at both BA and SK trails. Hermit’s is a lot busier than I have ever seen it also, hauled a bunch of hikers up their yesterday.
[/QUOTE]
I was up this past Wednesday and Thursday and was blown away by the large crowds. I worked with another volunteer on Thursday.

We had a total of three walk out assists on the SK at the same time. I finally called for help on the worst of them.

We got him to the rim, into the ambulance, and he was headed immediately toward Flagstaff.

TripLeader

Explorer

Part 1 [Re-Introduction]

My wife and I ended up with reservations in late September for a Las Vegas wedding. We took the opportunity to explore the area, including another trip to the Grand Canyon. So why not add a few more photos to the old thread?

Part 2 [Las Vegas, Nevada]

It was not our scene. We jumped in our rental Nissan Sentra and headed east the morning after the wedding.

TripLeader

Explorer

Part 3 [Hoover Dam]

The first tourist trap we came to was the Hoover Dam. We paid our money and took the dam tour. It was a worthwhile dam experience.
P1120556A.jpg

One of the tour guides talking about the diversion tunnels.
P1120555A.jpg

The diversion tunnel (on the Nevada side).
P1120554A.jpg

Making electricity, with the exception that "Nevada 3" had been pulled for repair. Sometime, around the 1980s I think they said, the elecricity produced and sold from the dam paid for the cost to have built it. But electricity was never the goal. It was always about the reservoir.
P1120558A.jpg

P1120561A.jpg

P1120571A.jpg

Walking to a vent on the downstream side of the dam. Tourism was considered at the time of construction. Finished tunnels, like the one above, were created for future tours. However, in the coming years, tours spread to the unfinished tunnels too.
P1120576A.jpg

The view from the vent.
P1120573A.jpg

Strings tied between bolts were once used to measure movement of the concrete blocks making up the dam. A broken string indicated the blocks had shifted away from each other; a bowed string indicated the opposite.
P1120591A.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles