Surprised No One Is Talking About Cat Thefts

NEIA Nomad

Years back when I lived in the city the company I worked for had a fleet of vans and 8 or 10 of them had their cats stolen in the middle of the night. We figured someone must have ended up coming by and interrupted them from getting the rest.

I never knew China was buying those up too. People need to stop buying their crappy products, otherwise they can afford to buy the whole world.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
As expensive as some of the ' anti-thief ' devices are, it will soon be more profitable to steal those, instead of the cats :rolleyes:
View attachment 650597

Here’s another way to put something underneath your rig to protect against cat thefts:

Hungry 10-Foot Alligator Discovered Under Parked Car in Florida,
Thought to Be Using the Vehicle’s Catalytic Converter As a Lure

A Florida police department has released footage of a large, angry alligator that was relocated after being found lurking under a parked car (assumedly the hungry reptile was either trying to protect the vehicle from any attempted theft of its catalytic converter or perhaps even using that piece of frequently stolen emissions equipment as a lure to entice unsuspecting, car parts thieving criminals).

a close up of a reptile: An American Alligator rests on the shore of the alligator lagoon at Everglades Alligator Farm in Homestead, Florida, on June 24, 2016.
© RHONA WISE/AFP/Getty Images An American Alligator.

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said it had received a call shortly before 9 a.m. on March 31 about the hungry reptile, which had been spotted (under a parked vehicle) at an apartment complex in the city of Tampa....In its Facebook post this week, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office suggested the alligator may have left its habitat looking for food—pointing out that (the tasty flesh of a potential thief’s arm or hand might have been the incentive for this smartly chosen lair of the large, lurking lizard).

Last edited:

1000arms

Here’s another way to put something underneath your rig to protect against cat thefts:

10-Foot Alligator Found Under a Parked Car in Florida

A Florida police department has released footage of a large alligator that was relocated after being found lurking under a parked car (assumedly trying to protect the vehicle from any theft of its catalytic converter).

a close up of a reptile: An American Alligator rests on the shore of the alligator lagoon at Everglades Alligator Farm in Homestead, Florida, on June 24, 2016.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said it had received a call shortly before 9 a.m. on March 31 about the reptile, which had been spotted (under a parked vehicle) at an apartment complex in the city of Tampa....In its Facebook post this week, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office suggested the alligator may have left its habitat looking for food—pointing out that (the tasty flesh of a potential thief’s arm or hand might have been the incentive for the chosen lair of the large, lurking reptile).
If that had been @Jnich77's truck, there would have been a chest-high can of bacon grease with a sign that read, "Thieves should grease up to prevent getting stuck under my truck!" :cool:

1000arms

Here’s another way to put something underneath your rig to protect against cat thefts: 10-Foot Alligator Found Under a Parked Car in Florida

A Florida police department has released footage of a large alligator that was relocated after being found lurking under a parked car (trying to protect the vehicle from any theft of its catalytic converter).

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said it had received a call shortly before 9 a.m. on March 31 about the reptile, which had been spotted (under a parked vehicle) at an apartment complex in the city of Tampa....In its Facebook post this week, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office suggested the alligator may have left its habitat looking for food—pointing out that (the tasty flesh of a potential thief’s arm or hand might have been the incentive for the chosen lair of the large, lurking reptile).
If that had been @Jnich77's truck, there would have been a chest-high can of bacon grease with a sign that read, "Thieves should grease up to prevent getting stuck under my truck!" :cool:
*Astroglide
:unsure: ... I was thinking the gator would prefer the bacon grease, but, I'l take your word for it. ... :cool:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am surprised no one put a link on this one:

"The couple may have been involved in the thefts of as many as 2,500 catalytic converters this year and are suspected of selling the purloined devices or valuable metals inside them for the past three years, said Sgt. Mike Brovelli of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office."

The problem also seems to lie with the recycling center who are buying them.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Hmmm, you guys now have me thinking about re-initiating an old Kickstarter Campaign I had once, to fund the design, manufacture (in China, of course) and sales of extremely lifelike fake alligators, for folks to use to put under their cars to deter cat thieves.

Something like this (just a beta version, raw prototype, I didn’t want to put too much dough into the first attempt):

26249A92-1B3C-413D-AF8C-4529119B8D25.jpeg
My first version was criticized by the test market group as being just a half baked idea.

So I’ve come up with an improved version, an inflatable model that can double as a beer cooler during the day when you’re feeling more secure that a cat theft isn’t in the offing:

2716764B-E61A-4777-BEB9-7EA7E8D4ADC5.jpeg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
(Ok, last post on this)

It was just pointed out to me by the distaff side of this partnership that the gator idea had limited geographic potential, unless it was probable that drug addled western and midwestern cat thieves would think they were hallucinating when they crawled under a rig and saw the fake reptile guarding the vehicle...which is entirely possible but then again, if so they likely would be so used to dealing with their altered states of reality that they’d not be scared off by the inflatagator.

So for these other states, we’re working on developing a lifelike, motion activated fake rattlesnake to put under vehicles. I have found a similar idea already in play, used generally to keep pack rats from building nests in engine bays and destroying car wiring. We plan on imitating these units, but will improve and modernize them by adding Bluetooth connectivity via an app, and also add wifi cameras.

1BC3089B-312C-4143-82B4-8497C2693D21.jpeg

(While these comments may have been made in jest, I think there actually is merit to placing a fake rattlesnake under your vehicle at night to deter cat theft and get the crook to move on to the next, easier victim. I can’t imagine a surprised, startled thief hanging around long enough to try to determine whether the fake snake is alive or dead once it’s been spotted close to his face after he has stuck his head under your rig. Ever since Adam and Eve, the idea of the wicked, dangerous serpent being something to immediately flee from has been hard wired into our brains.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles