Tire Deflators - What Do You Use and Why?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A decade ago, I used Stauns on 35" tires on 16" Rims, and they worked okay. I think they typically over deflated (under inflated?) pretty regularly, but my tires were large enough that I didn't care too much if I was between 20 psi or 15 psi. I think being up at altitude effected them also. I vaguely recall that "Staun 2's" were coming out or had just been released, but I sold my rig and never needed to look into them.

Ten years later, I am looking to consistently air down 32" tires on 17" rims (a lot less air volume), for a variety of terrains (dirt, sand, sharp rocks, possibly snow, occasional mud, etc...). I've never personally used an ARB valve core removal deflator, but I am familiar with the concept. Are they faster? Other than kneeling in the mud/dirt/gravel and bending your back, is there any real downside?

What about some of the fancier pressure type units similar to Stauns, such as the JT Brooks Pro's?
243316-add4.jpg

Oka 374

I bought an ARB type core removal tool but while it is quick it is a bit of a PITA, especially after a couple of valvea continued to leak after replacement.
Suspect that the seal on the valve gets damaged during the removal/install process so have gone back to the 30 year old Staun's.

arlindsay1992

I use an old set of Stauns. They were within 1 or 2 PSI of my set point the first few times I used them so I've stopped checking. I trust them. They might not deflate a single tire as fast as the ARB deflater, but I have four Stauns so I can deflate all four at once.

Winterpeg

I use the ARB deflator... works well.

I also have a very small kit in my glove box with extra valve cores and the tool for replacing them.
Everyone should have extra valve cores since they are so small and easy to replace.

I haven't had a valve core go bad on me yet, but I've given valve cores to friends and installed them for them (literally a 10 second job).

highwest

Indeflate seems to work well, based on user reviews and feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built a similar system for all 4 corners. It’s a lot of hose to bring to pack and unroll/roll, but works well. Faster than ARB. If I were to upgrade, I’d consider building the system into the truck so I don’t have to deal with so much hose, similar to UpDown Air or Sponsored by Wifey. I’ve never used Stauns.

TommyG

Adventurer
Still using my Stauns that I have had forever. Hard to beat being able to thread them on and walk away to do something else while they air down.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have a kit from amazon I haven't used yet. I don't often air down as I never really need to. The few times I have needed to, I haven't had the kit of course haha

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
deflator.jpg

$12 Keychain deflator from my local shop.

Dead-nuts simple - I start at the front-left corner and thread one on, then work my way around the vehicle. By the time I've got all four tires hissing, I go back to the front tire and start checking it with a gauge. When that one is down to the correct pressure, I make another trip around the van and pull each one off after checking again with a gauge.

It takes very little time and it's too simple to fail or give me errors. The time-delay to remove the valve cap and thread on the next deflator gives me the time I need to move from tire to tire without having to worry about one tire getting deflated too far. I have never understood using any other method that requires more expensive or complicated equipment.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Herbie, when I was very actively wheeling, I had kids with me. Young, active kids. The certainty of walking around the vehicle in time to prevent over deflating was non-existent as many times my attention was needed elsewhere. From this experience, I am only interested in a controlled depressurization, even if my kids are all grown now and have their own rigs.

To Tommy and Arlindsay, I have to admit that on more than one occasion I discovered my Stauns where still on at the end of the trail when I went to air back up :)

outback97

Adventurer
View attachment 653398

$12 Keychain deflator from my local shop.

Dead-nuts simple - I start at the front-left corner and thread one on, then work my way around the vehicle. By the time I've got all four tires hissing, I go back to the front tire and start checking it with a gauge. When that one is down to the correct pressure, I make another trip around the van and pull each one off after checking again with a gauge.

It takes very little time and it's too simple to fail or give me errors. The time-delay to remove the valve cap and thread on the next deflator gives me the time I need to move from tire to tire without having to worry about one tire getting deflated too far. I have never understood using any other method that requires more expensive or complicated equipment.

100% agree with this. Cheap, simple, not much to fail or go wrong, these just work.

I got a free keyring set from Teraflex, also have a set I bought on Amazon for under $10 when it was on sale. I have a set of Stauns that came with a vehicle purchase, and I have borrowed an ARB one, but these are what I prefer. I suppose if you had 40" tires and no patience you might prefer something different.

These are repeatable enough that I know how many seconds will take the PSI down where I need it. I just screw one on, count to 15, move on to the next wheel, repeat, repeat, then start taking them off once the first one is aired down where I want them.

For my 32" tires on 16" rims, it's a 10PSI drop in one minute.

4000lbsOfGoat

I use this:
TireInflator.jpg

It isn't the fastest but it's fast enough and I have to carry it to air up anyway. No extra parts specifically for airing down and I can easily vary the pressure around the rig (e.g. I generally set front tires, rear tires, and trailer tires to different pressures according to usage).

jadmt

ignore button user
been using Stauns for years and never had an issue of them letting too much air out. It takes patience to get them set correctly but once set mine have been rock solid for at least 10 years and I have used them many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles