1986 toyota 1 ton 4x4 build

Hey folks, relatively new to the RV/Camper world, however fairly experienced in mechanics and metal fab.

My latest project is an 86 toyota motorhome - which was converted to a flatbed before i purchased it. It has 66k miles, a FF rear axle, and a great running 22re. I should also mention, im a huge toyota fan, ived owned over a dozen toyota trucks, and have tons of parts stashed away, as well as a rotted 94 4x4 with only 87k.

Purpose:
I intend on leaving fall 2021 to live on the road for 4-6 months, i intend on shower, heat, and kitchenette, as well as solar. I also would like to be able to haul my ktm 300xcw.

Plans:
Strip to bare frame
SAS w/hi steer and tacoma brakes
5 speed
Frame modifications (rv manufacturer botched it)
Spring over on rear axle
10ft camper body, with 4ft cab over.

Unknown:
What to do with rear rims
Shell construction (deciding aluminum, or fiberglass/foam?)

Progress:
-stripped to bare frame
-solid axle spring hangers mounted
-85 axle aquired, painted, pending knuckle rebuild/ifs hubs
-4wd trans crossmember mounts fabbed
-took 15" out of center of frame, and added to rear. (Rv manufacturer really botched the frame)
-spring over on rear axle20201219_150000.jpg20210312_111127.jpg20210312_143943.jpg20210313_105700.jpg20210328_163752.jpg20210330_144848.jpg20210403_092110.jpg20210403_092040.jpg20210403_092032.jpg

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I used to have a dually flatbed Toyota as a warehouse work truck. It was an unusual little thing but it was nice having the load surface so low.

STREGA

Explorer
I had a ‘86 1 ton 2wd dually with pu bed and fiberglass fenders for the duals. Had a lance cabover camper that they made in the 80’s for mini trucks on it. Got ok fuel mileage but was not particularly fast with the 22re and automatic transmission. Kinda like to have that one back.

Height is definitely a plus, i intend on keeping it low. 30 or 31" tires max. Fire roads and ski resorts are all i need the 4wd for.

I'm looking for feedback on my shell idea.-I found PE 5lb structural foam sheets, 4x8 1" thick. I figured i could glue the sheets together to form a shell, with hardwood embedded at mount points/openings, then fiberglass inside and out.

I havent seen anyone use this method, and id like to avoid the premade FRP panel method for cost reasons.

-alternately i found a product called nida core, which is honeycomb 1" 4x7 sheets, which seems like it could be stronger.
-last option would be aluminum frame with some sort of plastic or aluminum skin, and closed cell spray foam insulation.

Any feedback? Thanks guys!

D

Deleted member 9101

Neat project! Are you going to leave the 22R or are you going to stwp up to more power and HW speeds?

billiebob

Think Poor Mans Fiberglass, using canvas instead of fiberglass. Plenty on YouTube.
Great project, and yes to foam walls, weight is your only consideration with a 4 cylinder Toyota.

Forget wood, forget aluminium, just use sheets of rigid foam, and epoxy it all.
As stated, this stuff is proven with great results.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had a carb'd '85. 4wd. It had OK power but that load might be a bit much. It's probably geared lower and maybe EFI for more power?

Awesome, i dont mind forking out a few bucks for fiberglass matt/cloth. Ive read about poor mans fiberglass, and ive seen some crude campers built with blue board/canvas. However i never read any follow ups regarding durability. Im a huge fan of building things to last.

As far as power - for now the 22re will do, i dont need to go fast. Eventually i may try to source an om617 or similar mercedes diesel! But those are dreams for now.

billiebob

Awesome, i dont mind forking out a few bucks for fiberglass matt/cloth. Ive read about poor mans fiberglass, and ive seen some crude campers built with blue board/canvas. However i never read any follow ups regarding durability. Im a huge fan of building things to last.

As far as power - for now the 22re will do, i dont need to go fast. Eventually i may try to source an om617 or similar mercedes diesel! But those are dreams for now.
There is video of a guy with a PMF trailer towing it behind an old Cherokee thru streams where the trailer was floating and his is years old and going strong. I'm not sure there are any advantages to fiberglass. Blue Board, Canvas and WeldBond is just simpler to work with..... and lighter.

D

Deleted member 9101

How about a Chevy 4.3 swap? They are cheap, plentiful, durable, and you can build the motor to fit your needs.

billiebob

Power, the 22RE is a fabulous engine especially in this use moving a camper ar Forestry Road speeds. If you can keepit lighter than the GVWR tag, and keep the stock or close to stock rubber, the 22RE might be the best choice too. It will only become a dog if you add heavier tires like 33s???

Two enemies with anything motorized, weight and rotating weight. Do everything you can to minimize both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles