"Battery Packs" are storage devices. "Battery Packs" aren't "Solar Generators". Refrigerators aren't "Food Generators".

1000arms

Please keep in mind that:

I created this thread to help people from being fooled by what I consider to be a deceptive marketing term.

I'm not angry, upset, confused, and/or cranky. I just posted this thread to help people. :)

I am a bit surprised by the number of people who, seem to me, have had an adverse and unwarranted reaction to my attempt to help people by creating this thread, but, I'm not angry, upset, confused, and/or cranky about it. :)

I hope that everyone that reads this post has a pleasant day! :)

:)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hahahaha!

This thread is gold!

It's something i find quite amusing too!

Its marketing at its finest really.

Marketing getting folks to spend $1000 or so on their product, when installing a complete dual battery system and inverter is 10x more useful, powerful, and cheaper.

Also note, almost NONE of them whatsoever mention their AMP HOURS, they are all advertised as WATTS, which i find hilarious. That compares to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things

I chuckle at this type of stuff, but if people are silly enough to buy them, its on them really! :)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
It is amazing how many people think solar is magic.

When the power goes out on one runs out to but a solar panel and battery. People run out and buy a gasoline generator.

That should sums up what really works when you need real power.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
People should be smart enough and take the time to understand what the person is saying instead of trying to find fault in their terminology,

A tail light Bulb/Globe that has 12w stamped on it is still going to chew 12 Watts in an Hour regardless of whether people demand the Poster writes 12w or 12Wh, Get Over ya Self, Theres people dying out there in the real world, Lets just be Greatful we are all still here to read those less Grammer Correct posts and Move On,

I think more of those people who make the Grammer mistake than I do of those who seem to make a Career out of trying to put other people Down for a simple mistake.

Despicable.

Time to Close the Thread Down I think.

1000arms

People should be smart enough and take the time to understand what the person is saying instead of trying to find fault in their terminology,

A tail light Bulb/Globe that has 12w stamped on it is still going to chew 12 Watts in an Hour regardless of whether people demand the Poster writes 12w or 12Wh, Get Over ya Self, Theres people dying out there in the real world, Lets just be Greatful we are all still here to read those less Grammer Correct posts and Move On,

I think more of those people who make the Grammer mistake than I do of those who seem to make a Career out of trying to put other people Down for a simple mistake.

Despicable.

:unsure: ... Say, did you happen to read the first post of this thread? In particular, did you read:

I think "Solar Generator" is a deceptive and dishonest marketing term when applied to a battery pack. Battery packs are storage devices, which are charged and discharged, but don't generate electricity. ... Please don't be fooled by the marketing term "Solar Generator". Please don't trust any company that uses the marketing term "Solar Generator" on anything that isn't (only) a solar panel. ...
:cool:

The following post might also be useful for you to read:

I created this thread to help people from being fooled by what I consider to be a deceptive marketing term.

I'm not angry, upset, confused, and/or cranky. I just posted this thread to help people. :)

I am a bit surprised by the number of people who, seem to me, have had an adverse and unwarranted reaction to my attempt to help people by creating this thread, but, I'm not angry, upset, confused, and/or cranky about it. :)

:)

67cj5

Man On a Mission
:unsure: ... Say, did you happen to read the first post of this thread? In particular, did you read:

Yes I have read it a few times, There a lot misleading stuff or wrongly named items out there on the net and in the same respect people here have a habit at taking shots at people who are either not well versed with the terminology, It has almost become a Sin against Humanity to write A instead of Ah or W instead of Wh.

1000arms

Despicable.

I think "Solar Generator" is a deceptive and dishonest marketing term when applied to a battery pack. Battery packs are storage devices, which are charged and discharged, but don't generate electricity. ... Please don't be fooled by the marketing term "Solar Generator". Please don't trust any company that uses the marketing term "Solar Generator" on anything that isn't (only) a solar panel. ...

Yes I have read it a few times, There a lot misleading stuff or wrongly named items out there on the net and in the same respect people here have a habit at taking shots at people who are either not well versed with the terminology, It has almost become a Sin against Humanity to write A instead of Ah or W instead of Wh.
:unsure: ... I don't think your posts in this thread reflect your statement "I have read it a few times", other than your statement, "I have read it a few times".

It appears to me that you are complaining about people complaining about not using the correct term, while protesting the existence of this thread.

Please consider that knowing and using the correct terms does help with communication. Please consider that some people also choose to use the correct terms to avoid misleading the intended recipient(s) or anyone else reading the post.

Please consider that it is possible to politely educate people. For example, I can write, "You might read the following link Measuring Electricity".

May you have a pleasant day! :)

Last edited:

Knickter

Thank you, really appreciated

67cj5

Man On a Mission
:unsure: ... I don't think your posts in this thread reflect your statement "I have read it a few times", other than your statement, "I have read it a few times".

It appears to me that you are complaining about people complaining about not using the correct term, while protesting the existence of this thread.

Please consider that knowing and using the correct terms does help with communication. Please consider that some people also choose to use the correct terms to avoid misleading the intended recipient(s) or anyone else reading the post.

Please consider that it is possible to politely educate people. For example, I can write, "You might read the following link Measuring Electricity".

I don't think learning to use the correct engineering terms this late in the day is going to change life as we know it, Because I already know them but I just can't be bothered, The everyday Guy understands what is being said, If an Item is running using 3.5A an hour later it will have used 3.5A or Ah and the same in watts, If a 100Ah Battery is rated at a 100Ah it is still going to supply 10A for 10 Hours or 100A for 1 hour it still ends up at 100Ah,

It's stupid nit picking, We are talking about basic car electronics Not working for NASA, I have meters that can read down to 0.0001v I don't need to impress anyone using long words that most people don't give a rats backside about.

As for these so called Solar Generators, When I first saw the name and thought load of ***P "Thats Not a Generator" Idiots" and I never gave it another thought, They can call it what they like it's still just a Battery Box with sockets and a charge controller. Do I care what they call It, NO, I just call it a battery Box,

Lifes to short to be worrying about little things like that,

1000arms

I don't think learning to use the correct engineering terms this late in the day is going to change life as we know it, Because I already know them but I just can't be bothered, The everyday Guy understands what is being said, If an Item is running using 3.5A an hour later it will have used 3.5A or Ah and the same in watts, If a 100Ah Battery is rated at a 100Ah it is still going to supply 10A for 10 Hours or 100A for 1 hour it still ends up at 100Ah,

It's stupid nit picking,
We are talking about basic car electronics Not working for NASA, I have meters that can read down to 0.0001v I don't need to impress anyone using long words that most people don't give a rats backside about.

As for these so called Solar Generators, When I first saw the name and thought load of ***P "Thats Not a Generator" Idiots" and I never gave it another thought, They can call it what they like it's still just a Battery Box with sockets and a charge controller. Do I care what they call It, NO, I just call it a battery Box,

Lifes to short to be worrying about little things like that,
:unsure: ... It appears to me that you are still complaining about people complaining about not using the correct term, and, for someone who says he/she doesn't care, you seem to do a lot of nitpicking about nitpicking.

OllieChristopher

Marketing getting folks to spend $1000 or so on their product, when installing a complete dual battery system and inverter is 10x more useful, powerful, and cheaper.

It depends on what you are building. An effective dual battery install that matches a Jackery 1000 or similar that puts out over 80 amp hours is going to cost more than $1000.00. By the time you are adding in all the wiring, alternator, connectors, relay, MPPT solar charge controller, solar panels, and battery you are going to be well over a thousand bucks in just parts. Add in the labor and it's a chunk of money.

Despicable.

No doubt. This thread is off the rails! When you have members quoting themselves that's pretty bad. Solar generator technology is only getting better. It's a win for all of us. I personally think it is nice to have choices in what our idea is for solar generator use and function. Between my Jackery 300 solar generator and dual battery install on my truck I'm very pleased.

OllieChristopher

:unsure: ... It appears to me that you are still complaining about people complaining about not using the correct term, and, for someone who says he/she doesn't care, you seem to do a lot of nitpicking about nitpicking.

Can you please give it a break? I have politely asked in this and other threads and you don't seem to listen. Your posts are not in the spirit of what this forum was intended for. What you are doing is considered trolling and is giving the moderators every reason to lock down this thread.

Last edited:

1000arms

... This thread is off the rails! ... Solar generator technology is only getting better. ...

:unsure: ... Say, have you read the following quote?

Can you please give it a break? ... Your posts are not in the spirit of what this forum was intended for. What you are doing is considered trolling ...
Perhaps if you honestly looked at your own posts, you might recognize your own behavior for what it is.

OllieChristopher

Gents -
I started a post earlier but something happened. Sorry for the partial message. This thread and the Solar Generator thread have both run off the rails yesterday and today. Let's bring this back into the spirit of Expedition Portal. If it continues to turn south, I'll lock it down.

Thanks -

DJ

Oh well I tried at least. Kind of sad that Expedition Portal has gotten to the point of this kind of behavior. I have always thought of it as a place to educate, learn and discuss like minded topics. I imagine the lockdown is going to come soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles