Indecision, the (Ford) Used Diesel Market and the Year 2021 - Need a sanity check

slepe67

My F350 Tiger is a 4wd reg cab, but those hwy miles (fully loaded for 2-3 month trip, full gas and propane tanks, water tank at 1/2) are of course in 2wd. Driving across Texas we’ve gotten as high as 15.9 (per trip computer), driving @ 65 mph. I try not to go faster usually, but on those long open spaces we do hit a cruise of 70-72 for extended periods. In the Rocky Mt. West, on the flatter stretches, we get an average of 13.9 (again per trip computer, which some will of course say is biased).

At any rate, we learned years ago we could not overly focus on gas prices or mpg’s with our rigs...these were just part of the necessary costs of getting out and going where we wanted. This acceptance has come from a slow transition and long learning process though, starting out from younger, poorer days driving a Nissan 4wd Frontier 4 banger, to next a 6 cyl 300 c.I.d. Ford 4wd 1/2 ton, then up to the 5.7, then 6.0, then 62. gasser 4wd heavier trucks and vans.

The worst prices we hit in recent years was $4.99/gl at a stop on a remote northern part of Hwy 395 in NorCal (and that was driving our big old Chevy van with the thirsty 6.0 gasser...11.9 mpg’s was its hwy avg). That was very painful, but we plan accordingly and diligently work to save on other discretionary costs all year while at home in between the trips and adventures we take that sustain us.
Thanks AG. I'm leaning more and more towards the 6.2L gasser. I'm just not convinced I "need" a diesel, and all the potential problems down the road. I'd have to drive a diesel for a LONG time before the fuel savings & servicing costs paid for themselves.

On my 2015 F250 6.7 diesel & 2016 F150 3.5 EcoBoost, the trip computers were both usually about 0.5 MPG high.
3.73s, 35s, and my FWC I see 12 doing 80 from my 6.2. Stock 15 wasn't uncommon even in Colorado.

Honestly, after spending time in my 19' the older trucks don't interest me as much as they used to. I got a good deal on it since it has light hail damage. It'll get more ever summer I own it. That makes it easier squeezing it down right trails. The thing I miss about old trucks is the cheap insurance.

That's very helpful info! I imagine Montana wont be much different. I'll assume your fuel economy takes a nose dive in high-winds? My 6.7 didnt really care about the winds too badly. My EcoBoost drops dramatically when Im in a 50mph head wind. LOL

You're basically running the same setup I want to run: 4x4 Crew Cab with a FWC, but I also want to run an aluminum flatbed. Im assuming that "could" help outa little as well.

Trixxx

What do you mean you can’t mod new? Your warranty is only voided on the components that you replace and associated parts.

On the new trucks the odds of voiding anything by a level kit and 37’s are slim to none.

Basically the only thing I wouldn’t touch is motor/exhaust/emissions.

I have a 2020 F250 Tremor with the 6.7 and will get the bumper to bumper 7yr 150k mile warranty. I plan to keep it a long time so that up front cost will ensure I don’t have any costly expenses for quite a while.

Also - the Ford dealer is installing my Carli Backcountry kit, so even less concerned of major warranty voiding.

dbhost

That would be a pretty good truck! The only thing I’d add would be the front Dana super 60 axle from the F450-550 line for that nice and tight turning radius. I’m not sure if I would want the 6-speed Allison or a 6-speed manual behind that cummins.

I've got sciatica that keeps my left leg pretty useless while seated. I wish I could, but I can no longer manually row my gears.

tacollie

Glamper
That's very helpful info! I imagine Montana wont be much different. I'll assume your fuel economy takes a nose dive in high-winds? My 6.7 didnt really care about the winds too badly. My EcoBoost drops dramatically when Im in a 50mph head wind. LOL

You're basically running the same setup I want to run: 4x4 Crew Cab with a FWC, but I also want to run an aluminum flatbed. Im assuming that "could" help outa little as well.
I doubt an aluminum flatbed would help milage. We are going to build one with outside storage. I just need to have a free week the at the same time as my brother.

It'll drop to 11mpgs with wind high wind. I try to be honesty about my milage. I have had tanks that get 15 but I don't consider that the norm. The 6.2 is solid if you cans stomachthe milage. My Tacomas got worse milage in high winds ?

The ecoboost are great milage when they aren't working. As soon as they start working mpgs drop dramatically. The turbos are fun!

slepe67

What do you mean you can’t mod new? Your warranty is only voided on the components that you replace and associated parts.

On the new trucks the odds of voiding anything by a level kit and 37’s are slim to none.

Basically the only thing I wouldn’t touch is motor/exhaust/emissions.

I have a 2020 F250 Tremor with the 6.7 and will get the bumper to bumper 7yr 150k mile warranty. I plan to keep it a long time so that up front cost will ensure I don’t have any costly expenses for quite a while.

Also - the Ford dealer is installing my Carli Backcountry kit, so even less concerned of major warranty voiding.
I was under the impression any suspension mods would void the warranty??? I'll definately be looking into that. I havent bought the truck yet, I have time. The 7.3 gas looks pretty impressive also.
I've got sciatica that keeps my left leg pretty useless while seated. I wish I could, but I can no longer manually row my gears.
Ive had that before! Thank goodness my chiropractor got rid of it.
I doubt an aluminum flatbed would help milage. We are going to build one with outside storage. I just need to have a free week the at the same time as my brother.

It'll drop to 11mpgs with wind high wind. I try to be honesty about my milage. I have had tanks that get 15 but I don't consider that the norm. The 6.2 is solid if you cans stomachthe milage. My Tacomas got worse milage in high winds ?

The ecoboost are great milage when they aren't working. As soon as they start working mpgs drop dramatically. The turbos are fun!
The flatbed 'might' help with mileage with no camper, but who knows? Guess I'll find out...

My first build will be a dirt cheap FWC (Grandby or Hawk) with side mounted boxes for storage. A while back, I saw an OBS 7.3 4x4 in the classifieds here that got my gears turning: A diesel flatbed camper with tons of side-box storage. Sounds like a win-win. Plus, I can load snowmobiles or haul wood and not worry about my precious paint job. A flatbed has been on my List for years...just never pulled the trigger.

I hear you on Tacoma & EcoBoost MPGs. I've had both and can honestly say that when it gets workin', the MPGs go out the window. (Like most, I guess). I think it just hurts more to see a gas sipper turn into a sloppy drunk! And yes, the Sport Mode on my EcoBoost makes me smile ear-to-ear when I mash the go-pedal!

Explorerinil

Observer
Why not by a 7.3 gas tremor? You’ll get a bomb proof engine, Dana m276 rear axle, Dana 60 front and both stuffed with 4:30 gears, and the fuel economy of the average v8 gas half ton.

Trixxx

Why not by a 7.3 gas tremor? You’ll get a bomb proof engine, Dana m276 rear axle, Dana 60 front and both stuffed with 4:30 gears, and the fuel economy of the average v8 gas half ton.

I have a 6.7 Tremor and I’m part of a tremor forum and 2 tremor groups.

They’re better than some other gas 3/4 and 1 tons, but they definitely aren’t that close to a half ton

2020 F150 5.0 is rated around 16/22.7.3 Tremors are probably closer to 11/14.

Last edited:

dbhost

@slepe67 on the sciatica issue. It's a bit beyond chiropractic although that is a tool in my arsenal. With Texas opening back up I have been back in the gym finally and restarting my phyisical therapy, but I doubt I will be willing to risk that much use of my left leg knowing the issues have been there.

Grassland

If I was going long term I'd be choosing the newest 6.2 gasser aluminum super duty I could stomach paying for in the absolute lowest trim with the least amount of gadgets.

As for fuel economy, driving a brick with brick like things behind or on it will cost money.
My 3.7 F150 gets 13 US MPG towing a pop up camper at 65 MPH.
Biggest thing holding me back from a Super Duty is that mile or two per gallon won't hurt me in the near future, but with the carbon tax I could be paying $2 per LITER of fuel in a few years.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If I was going long term I'd be choosing the newest 6.2 gasser aluminum super duty I could stomach paying for in the absolute lowest trim with the least amount of gadgets.

As for fuel economy, driving a brick with brick like things behind or on it will cost money.
My 3.7 F150 gets 13 US MPG towing a pop up camper at 65 MPH.
Biggest thing holding me back from a Super Duty is that mile or two per gallon won't hurt me in the near future, but with the carbon tax I could be paying $2 per LITER of fuel in a few years.
But it would still only be a mile or two per gallon. For a much more towing capacity and payload....

twodollars

Last summer I purchased a 2015 f250 with a 6.2. I looked at ecoboost f150s and well, both 3.5 and 2.7. I have a bit of towing use through some mountains pulling g a out 7k. The half ton can do it fine, but I like the stability of the 250 on longer tow trips. I also wanted a bit longer bed while still a crew cab, the 150s bed length is kinda short for my use. I like having more truck than I need, rather than maxing out something smaller.

::Squish::

Observer
Back in 2016 we stumbled onto a fantastic deal of a low mile 2000 years model 7.3 manual with a camper on it.
it’s the first diesel I’ve owned.

when this truck goes it will be replaced by a gasser. I am a fan of well cared for two year old lightly optioned trucks, I don’t want the bells and whistles. It’s just more stuff the break.
buying slightly used lets someone else take the majority of the depreciation.

I don’t like modern diesels especially if you are buying them only because DIESEL... the gains do not offset the losses.

Explorerinil

Observer
I have a 6.7 Tremor and I’m part of a tremor forum and 2 tremor groups.

They’re better than some other gas 3/4 and 1 tons, but they definitely aren’t that close to a half ton

2020 F150 5.0 is rated around 16/22.7.3 Tremors are probably closer to 11/14.
I have a 17 f150 police responder take home vehicle with the 5.0 I dive 5 days a week for work, it has 3:31 gears, I’m averaging 16 on the highway taking it easy. The truck has no light bar and a factory ford bed cover, in town i average 9 mpg. This isn’t far off from the 7.3.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have a 17 f150 police responder take home vehicle with the 5.0 I dive 5 days a week for work, it has 3:31 gears, I’m averaging 16 on the highway taking it easy. The truck has no light bar and a factory ford bed cover, in town i average 9 mpg. This isn’t far off from the 7.3.
Crazy, my 5.0L with 3:73's and a 6 speed does better than that. I average about 21 mpg with my cruise set at 65.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles