ITTOG's Overlanding Trips

ITTOG

Day 1
I was up at my usual camp time which is about 7:30. It was 48F so it is going to be very warm and the bugs are going to suck. We like it to be below freezing.

I had to leave early to find a spot with cell coverage for a work call I couldn't miss so I drank a coffee stout beer for breakfast. The coffee was so strong I couldn't even tell there was beer in it and it was a perfect start to the day.

After my call I returned to camp. I was going to be alone today and it isn't safe to ride alone so I had planned to do some painting under my new trailer and seal and stain the deck. But that plan didn't work given it rained on me from south of Dallas to just before camp yesterday, everything was too wet. Thus my plan to spend most of the day off the bike didn't turn out well.

Since I didn't eat breakfast I decided I would have a big lunch, which meant it was time to charcoal the ribeye I brought with me. So lunch consisted of a Ribeye and beer. Surprisingly I ate almost the entire thing, which was about 22 ounces.
20210121 Boys Weekend 01.jpg

After lunch it was time to hit the trails and I decided to hit some I have never been on before. I found a trail that was at the top of an unnamed mountain so I headed down it. It lead to an open area with a large grouping of boulders that looked out over ranch and farm lands.
20210121 Boys Weekend 04.jpg

Same pic but zoomed in.
20210121 Boys Weekend 05.jpg

After that I went back to the main trail and eventually came to a cabin with a sign on it with the name Boggy Holler Huntin Club. I usually like to get pics but failed to do so this time. I could see the cabin was along two different trails so I figured I would check them out. Eventually I ran into a trail that looked like it would run into another trail that connected with a place we call Black Pearls, which is on top of a mountain and has a great view. So I decided to try it out. The trail was a bit over grown and after a little while I noticed people had stacked rocks across the trail and on both sides. Clearly they didn't want anyone to get through there. After seeing the third rock barricade I decided to be safe and turn around. About this time I also noticed the bike and I was getting covered in SAP and my hair was sticking together in clumps. So I couldn't wait to get out of there. After leaving I found a nice rock bluff at the edge of the mountain and I could overlook the ranches and farms again.
20210121 Boys Weekend 09.jpg

20210121 Boys Weekend 11.jpg

Tree growing out of the rock.
20210121 Boys Weekend 12.jpg

Soon I was back on the trail going down a pipeline. At the bottom it went to a couple different pads and soon I found a trail that took me back to the Boggy Holler Huntin Cabin. I was at this cabin twice today and never thought to get a picture. Oh well. I took the pipeline right of way down the mountain to the south and found a couple more gas pads. They were different this time. One of them had an RV on it. I tried to connect to a road that runs north south right by the ranch cattleguard. It is right before you get to the cattleguard on the right. Unfortunately there was a gate so I had to turn back and go back up the hill. After leaving the area I went up to Mossman's before heading back to camp.

I was back in camp about 4:30 PM. For dinner I cooked brats around the fire and listened to the coyotes. A day on the trails is hard on the body and I was in bed by 9:30.

I spent most of the day on trails I haven't been on and it was a lot of fun to see new areas. Per my GPS the high temp for the day was 54F so a bit warm for the trails. When the group is together we typically go about 20 miles a day. Being alone I was able to go a bit farther.
Untitled picture.png

Below you can see the path I took and waypoints for areas we have named and visit often. The waypoints are where we usually stop for a beer. Even though I am here several times a year, it is just as enjoyable as my first time. I don't think I will ever get enough.
Day 1 Trails.jpg

Going here is the main reason I am building my truck camper. Link to build in signature or here.
Untitled picture.jpg

ITTOG

Amazing pictures!
Thanks

I stole the pic of the falls for inspiration that is amazing
Yes it is a beautiful place. I have only swam here once but have probably been there more than ten to fifteen times just hiking and enjoying the views. If you have young kids there is a drive through zoo about ten minutes away so it is great for the family. It is called Arbuckle Wilderness.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Day 1
I was up at my usual camp time which is about 7:30. It was 48F so it is going to be very warm and the bugs are going to suck. We like it to be below freezing.

I had to leave early to find a spot with cell coverage for a work call I couldn't miss so I drank a coffee stout beer for breakfast. The coffee was so strong I couldn't even tell there was beer in it and it was a perfect start to the day.
Looks like a good trip. Coffee stout beer? Like a bottle of coffee flavored stout? I recall I had a coffee / chocolate porter that was pretty good.

ITTOG

Looks like a good trip. Coffee stout beer? Like a bottle of coffee flavored stout? I recall I had a coffee / chocolate porter that was pretty good.
Exactly. If you want to check it out, according to the app Untappd the beer was either Omen by Progression Brewing or Steep Imperial Coffee Stout by Fiction Beer Company. I believe it was the latter because I rated it much higher but not positive so I listed both.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Exactly. If you want to check it out, according to the app Untappd the beer was either Omen by Progression Brewing or Steep Imperial Coffee Stout by Fiction Beer Company. I believe it was the latter because I rated it much higher but not positive so I listed both.
Hmm... Yeah, I'll have to keep my eye out for it.

ITTOG

Day 2
I woke up about 6 AM but it was dark and I stayed in bed catnapping until 7. It was still a little dark but I got up and saw the temp was 41F.

The other two participants are supposed to arrive this morning so I took my time eating breakfast and getting ready for a day on the trails. I didn't have any plans for the day other than waiting for them to arrive, which they indicated would be about 9 AM. I ended up getting bored and about 9:45 AM I decided to drive out to the ranch to see if I could link up to the trail I was on yesterday and to see if I would cross paths with them. Unfortunately I didn't cross paths with the new arrivals and I couldn't get too close to my trail yesterday because the road kind of closed in with houses and I didn't want to get too close and disturb anyone so I turned around. Any time I say I don't want to get too close it is because these are very remote areas and you have no idea what they may be growing or making. So it isn't worth the risk.

At this time it was around 10:30 AM and I didn't want to return to camp immediately so I decided to try some new roads and trails and find my way back to camp a way I had never been. So I turned onto a road I had never been on. After checking out a gas pad I found a pipeline right of way to climb. It was nothing but grass and pretty wide. It was steep enough that I had to use four wheel drive to avoid slipping in the grass. Once at the top there was a decent view.
20210122 Boys Weekend 01.jpg

20210122 Boys Weekend 02.jpg

20210122 Boys Weekend 03.jpg

This tractor was on a gas pad and had new fuel and oil filters with dates of August 2020 so it appears it is still in use. It was fun to inspect for a little while. Usually there is very little sign that anyone has been at the gas pads for a few years. Clearly they keep this one well mowed.
20210122 Boys Weekend 04.jpg

Eventually I found my way to the top of the hill and connected to the same trail I was on yesterday to take my work call. So I found my way back to camp. I arrived at camp just before noon and unfortunately there were no signs of anyone. So I decided I would have lunch and then burn some time in camp by working on my trailer given it had dried out. So the first task was to stain the open top box I made for the front of the trailer. I used it to store propane, fuel for the ATV and chainsaw, bottled water, a 5 gallon jug of water and a few smaller things. When I built the box at home, I found out my 6 x 12 utility trailer is actually 6'5" x 12'. So a little extra floor space than anticipated. I didn't know it but the stain was almost like a paint. But I thought it looked pretty good.
20210122 Boys Weekend 05.jpg

After I finished the box I then worked on the trailer.
20210122 Boys Weekend 06.jpg

Once the trailer was done I put the box back on the trailer. I like the contrast of the stained wood with the black trailer.
20210122 Boys Weekend 07.jpg

While I was staining the trailer I found out no one else would be joining me for this year's boys weekend. This created a mix of emotions and thoughts on what to do. While I was finishing the trailer I decided to stay in camp since it is one of my favorite places. I just needed to remind myself to be safe which is something I usually do not do. This presents a problem so here is hoping for the best.

I finished the trailer a little before 2 and decided it was time to hit the trails again. I didn't know where I was going but I went up the pipeline and went to the water fall. As previously mentioned it rained a lot on my drive up to camp and it makes me wonder if the waterfall would have been dry if not for that rain because it wasn't flowing very much.
20210122 Boys Weekend 08.jpg

This is upstream about 150 yards and is where we always park our bikes and walk to the waterfall.
20210122 Boys Weekend 10.jpg

To be continued...

ITTOG

While at the waterfall I decided I would see what the pipeline trail to the top of the tallest mountain looked like. Due to wash outs we haven't been able to take this route for several years. Not too far up the trail I ran into the first wash. I decided I would walk the trail to see if it gets any better. It didn't get any better for a ways so I had decided to turn around. But on my way down I discovered a side trail that avoided most of the bad areas. If I could get through this section then the rest of the trail would be a breeze. It doesn't look like much but I had to use my winch to get through it, but I am getting a little ahead of the story again.
20210122 Boys Weekend 12.jpg

Before I began I tested my winch to make sure it worked. I knew if I had any problems I would need the winch. To get out of the wash I thought the bike may turn on its side so I was ready if it happened. Sure enough, the right side slid in the mud and turned the bike on its side into the wash. So out came the winch to pull the bike back on its wheels and up the wall and out of the wash. On the map below the wash (orange dots on the trail) was not very far up the hill. You can also see the trail bypass to avoid some of the wash.
pipeline slide.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the scene of the accident. After about ten minutes I was out of the wash and a little warm so it was time for a beer and to put the winch line away. This was the first time I ever used the winch and although it is painfully slow, it worked like a charm.
20210122 Boys Weekend 14.jpg

Other than that spot, getting to the top was easy. Once there the bike drove itself onto the car to show it was "king of the hill".
20210122 Boys Weekend 16.jpg

I didn't stay there long and went to another one of my favorite spots. There were a couple spots not passible so I had to blaze my own trail through the trees. When there is snow this sometimes is so deep you can't see the rocks in the foreground. Clearly there hasn't been any snow or much rain this year.
20210122 Boys Weekend 19.jpg

The obligatory overlanding wheel in the air pic. 20210122 Boys Weekend 18.jpg

Once again I decided to take a new trail. I am glad I did because the trail took me to a great overlook of a nearby river.
20210122 Boys Weekend 23.jpg

Unfortunately that was the end of the trail because it was too steep to descend on foot, let alone the bike. Here the topo shows a very steep hillside with an approximate 350' drop.
20210122 Boys Weekend 22.jpg

To be continued...

ITTOG

After turning around I saw another trail and decided to see where it goes. It was a pretty smooth, well ridden gravel road with an open view so I decided to pick up some speed. With a slight turn up ahead I began to slow down. The next thing I know I am on the ground and the bike is on its side. A bit surprised I began assessing the damage, to me and the bike. I hurt my right quad, left lower side of back, and hit my head on something. I wasn't hurt too bad but it did take me a little bit to get going again, primarily due to hitting my head. Once again I couldn't get the bike back on its wheels by myself so out came the winch; and this time my phone for pictures. The damage to the bike was the rear fender protector and passenger step. Luckily nothing too bad that I can't straighten out. Given the way the crash happened and the time of day I wondered if I may have had too much to drink. I know I had a lot while I was in camp working on the trailer. So I decided to quit at this point and since I was hot I drank my Gatorade.
20210122 Boys Weekend 26.jpg

20210122 Boys Weekend 27.jpg

On the map below the scene of the crash is the orange dots. There is a turn there but you can see in the pictures it is practically a straightaway. I can't believe I crashed.
smooth road crash.jpg

It took about 30 minutes to get back on the trail. I had planned to go back to camp via the bottoms but changed my mind and went to Black Pearls. Who comes up with some of these names?
20210122 Boys Weekend 28.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the view this trip but below is from a previous year. Unfortunately I am zoomed in so you don't get a good idea of the total view.
black pearl view 1.JPG

Since I was up there I decided to see if I could connect the trail to the one I was on yesterday by the Boggy Holler Huntin Cabin. I had to turn around when I ran into a group of three houses since I didn't want to surprise anyone and risk getting shot!
20210122 Boys Weekend 29.jpg

On my way back to Black Pearls I saw another trail that may have connected the two but it was late, 6:30 PM, and I decided it was best to just head back to camp. Unfortunately I didn't get far because of another accident. As I was going down the hill I hit a rock that quickly turned my wheel and caused the bike to roll. I was thrown downhill and the bike came rolling after me in a full barrel role. Somehow it cleared most of me and only landed on my lower legs. I instantly felt pain in both ankles and thought I might have broken my right ankle. Once it cleared me it kept rolling and must have rolled at least four or five times because it was steep in the area. Thank God the bike stopped and landed on all four wheels. I don't recall for sure but I don't think there were trees close enough to attach my winch and there was no way I would have been able to walk the 5.5 miles back to camp. My right ankle immediately started to swell and wasn't long before I couldn't see my ankle. It didn't take long to assess the situation. While this accident was much harder on me and the bike, I was able to get going fairly quickly. The bike bent the left handlebar really bad, had several of the plastic panels around the rear fenders come apart, and smashed the front tool box. The left grip on the handlebar was about four inches lower than it should have been. Unfortunately I was so sore I couldn't bend it back up.

On the map below the scene of the crash is the orange dots. Once again it was fairly straight. The difference is it is very steep.
third crash.jpg

So, with a little trepidation I got back on the bike, which never turned off, and headed back to camp. It was not an easy 5.5 miles and I couldn't wait to get back to camp. I finally arrived in camp at 7:42 PM. I noticed during the ride in order to keep the back going straight the handlebars had to be turned to the left about 15 degrees.

Besides the two accidents, the other memorable part of the day is that I must have seen at least 10 dead coyote's. Most of those were around the ranch and homes above the ranch. Most of them were very recent.

Once again dinner was around the fire but no coyotes serenading me tonight. Per my GPS the high temp for the day was 59.5F. The distance of 38.1 miles for the day was surely a record. I think I went to bed early and it sure felt good!
1617130847608.png

Day 2 Trails.jpg

If you are really looking at the maps you will notice on the map above one of the waypoints is in yellow. Well that is named because I rolled my bike over backwards. Luckily I was able to eject so it didn't crush me. If you haven't thought about it much, there is a theme building here.

To be continued...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Careful on that quad. I've heard a lot of horror stories about those things. Glad you weren't hurt or end up pinned underneath it.

A dirt bike seems more unstable but, I wonder since they are lighter if they are safer? Hmmmm. Don't know.

ITTOG

Careful on that quad. I've heard a lot of horror stories about those things. Glad you weren't hurt or end up pinned underneath it.

A dirt bike seems more unstable but, I wonder since they are lighter if they are safer? Hmmmm. Don't know.
Yeah I have been very lucky. Thank God I haven't had a major injury. Although that last wreck is still an issue as recovery has been slow. But that is getting ahead of the story.

I think it primarily depends on the speed. Based on that the vehicle wouldn't matter. But, there are definitely a lot more issues when you look at the weight of the vehicles. So you are probably right about the bikes being safer. We tried using them where we go but they can't climb a mountain as well as the four wheelers.

I reckon stick to shanks' pony.
I didn't know what that was and had to look it up. Definitely the safest way to travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online