Perfect off-highway tire = LTX? What?

cnskate

Adventurer
Just bought a used Sequoia with a brand new set of these. I was digging on their highway manners and snow ability but I was thinking I would need to replace them with AT's before summer off-road trips, but I guess not! My impression from reading a few other reviews of these is that if you are buying a more aggressive tire you are probably just doing it for the looks. That's probably an overstatement, but you get the gist.

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

Family in Michigan runs these on all their SUVs its by far the best winter/summer tire regarding traction and over all performance.

However!!! I’m on the west coast and do lots of hot long trips in the summers talking 100-119 degree outside temps the pavement is even hotter! I found Michelins just don’t last long at all in my use / conditions. But!!!!! BFG tires and Michelins come out of the same manufacturing plant. I found the BFGs get a tougher rubber compound and do much better in my high temp region. So I tend to go BFG route vs Michelins on the west coast. BFG makes other tires besides KO2’s. However I liked my KOs on my J80. My 2019 Expedition isn’t a KO2s rig. But high probability it will have BFGs on it after the stock tires are done.
I'm interested in people's thoughts on this. I'm looking for a tire similar to this for a vehicle that is going to see a lot of sandy, dirt roads, but no real off roading, and this seems perfect. I live in Las Vegas though so for 3 months a year it's 100+ every day. Would these wear too quickly? And if they would, any recommended alternatives? What's the BFG version?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm interested in people's thoughts on this. I'm looking for a tire similar to this for a vehicle that is going to see a lot of sandy, dirt roads, but no real off roading, and this seems perfect. I live in Las Vegas though so for 3 months a year it's 100+ every day. Would these wear too quickly? And if they would, any recommended alternatives? What's the BFG version?
BFG Advantage Sport T/A

calicamper

Expedition Leader
? what seeds you for that comparison?
?
I’ve ran BFG Ko’s, BFG Rugged Terrains, Michelin LTX’s, Yokohama stuff.

The BFG Advantage Sport has been my top favorite highway / occasional dirt tire. I’ll be putting them on my Expedition when the cheap squishy factory tires are done.

MarcusBrody

As for soft sand any tire like this will be performant.
Well a lot of the "dirt" roads are rockier than sandy, but the softer areas are where my current tires perform less well. I was considering Geolander A /T GO15s for a little extra traction/protection, but the Michelins sound like a good option too.

gwittman

Adventurer
I run both Michelin LTX and BFG MT tires depending on whether I am going to be on the street or off-road. I have the LTX tires on most of the time but mount the MT tires typically twice a year. I have left the LTX tires on when going off-road if I know the road conditions are not going to be very bad. There are times when the LTX tries will slip when I know the MT tires would have performed much better. There were also times that I had to use 4WD with the LTX when I know the MT tires could have done it in 2WD.

My opinion is the LTX is an adequate off-road tire but are not great like the MT. I know there are places I have gone with the MT tires that I could have gotten into serious trouble with the LTX tires. Adequate means they are suitable for light and possibly medium duty off-road. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and that is mine.

I put a set of these in P-metric on my wife’s Suburban and I like them a lot. I’ve got a set of Toyo AT2s LT flavor on my Chevy 2500HD, about 5/32 left and coming up on 50k miles, which is the warranty point. I like the Toyos also, but am wondering if 1) I’ll get a bit better highway mileage out of the Michelins and 2) whether the Michelins are enough tire for a 9200# GVW truck that sees mostly DVNP type offroad use. Toyo AT3s (new style) are 3PS, the Michelins are M+S.

nickw

Adventurer
Wonder if folks would have a different experience with these if they would just buy a EZ Deflator and a ARB inflation setup and just vary pressure a bit pending situation. Everything in life is a compromise but I've founds AT tires at lower pressure do really really well in everything but heavy mud - just a thought.

What I've always found hilarious is guys with mud tires in the dunes / sand....intuition says aggressive tires, reality is polar opposite.....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yep
The new bfg Trail Terrain is basically the brand new highway poser SUV not a KO2 option. That will be put on my 22’s ???. Better than the soft squishy oems that have me driving dirt like I’m walking bare foot lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles