Home Depot Flatbed Camper Build...

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Yeah like DzlToy said, it's the extrusion to mount the fabric in. It's normally used around the bottom edge of awnings. I plan on using Sunbrella or similar awning/marine fabric so it should all work well together.

KIMG1015.JPG

Rebuilder

I didn't get as many pics as I should have but here's the roof panel install. The original plan was to fully assemble the sandwich panels and then install them from the inside but that would leave an 1/8" lip around each panel that would hold water so I decided to installed the foam with the inner skin and then apply the roof skin afterwards. I used a hand planer to cut the foam down so it would sit flush to the top when installed.

KIMG1024.JPG

KIMG1027.JPG

The inner panels are prefinished white aluminum composite sign panels. They're relatively light and surprisingly rigid.

KIMG1029.JPG

KIMG1030.JPG

This is a temporary actuator... I plan to use 2 shorter ones mounted on the sides of the top vs 1 at the back.

KIMG1031.JPG

The roof skins are .050 alum and I used a combination of PL Premium, VHB tape, Sikaflex 252 and I'll put rivets around the perimeter of each panel. I hope I never need to remove one :oops:

KIMG1038.JPG

KIMG1040.JPG

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Amazing work! What a great starting truck. Single cabs are pretty darn rare these days, so one with a flatbed and non-dually was a find. Awesome aluminum skills!
But we do need a little thread-drift to hear about this.
FM.jpg

Rebuilder

Amazing work! What a great starting truck. Single cabs are pretty darn rare these days, so one with a flatbed and non-dually was a find. Awesome aluminum skills!
But we do need a little thread-drift to hear about this.

Thank you. Yeah when I saw the truck for sale I knew I had to have it. I look pretty much every day and rarely see anything like it. I have been told they do pop up on dealer auctions quite often but I guess people just buy them and keep them.

The Merkel is a "Tribute" bike I built 10 or so years ago using a Yamaha XT500 engine. Everything else is custom made. I tried to have a go at building bikes for a living but I've decided campers are much more fun :giggle:

Here's the build thread if anyone's interested.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The Merkel is a "Tribute" bike I built 10 or so years ago using a Yamaha XT500 engine. Everything else is custom made. I tried to have a go at building bikes for a living but I've decided campers are much more fun :giggle:
Here's the build thread if anyone's interested.
Damn, you have some crazy fabrication/building skills!
A painting I have with 'your' Flying Merkin
boardtrack.jpg

Rebuilder

I'm so excited about these windows. I can't stand the types of RV windows sold in the U.S. so I ordered these direct from the manufacturer in China. I'm working on putting together a larger order to save on shipping so if anyone is interested let me know and I can send you more info and size options.

KIMG1042.JPGKIMG1043.JPGKIMG1044.JPGKIMG1045.JPGKIMG1046.JPG

Reactions: mog

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This is outstanding in every way!

Not only is your truck a right little gem, you then applied your wizardry to make it a 4x4!

Your mastery of aluminium welding is evident in just how good it all looks!

All this truck and camper goodness... And that hyper-interesting motorcycle too!

Thank you for the link, I don't doubt that it'll be remarkable! Subscribed.

Rebuilder

Let me know sizes they come in and prices .
Awesome build
Thx

Here are the window sizes and info. I know the window pricing but I'm still working on the shipping and import tariff fees. If you or anyone is interested, let me know the sizes and qtys and I'll add them to my quote list.

Window Details.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles